Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L is?

Associate
Canon 70-200 f4 is lens

Thinking of getting this lens. Have any of you got it and what are your views on it.

I do a lot of motor sport photography and feel this would be a great lens for it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends on the circuit and your access, for some 200mm will be long enough sadly for an increasing number of tracks if your shooting from the public areas 200mm is not enough reach.

It's a cracking lens but only you will know if it's long enough for your location and fast enough for the light levels you normally experience.

Associate
OP
I manage to always get close to the action. Goodwood festival of speed and Brands etc, so I'm thinking this could be a great lens for me. I just wanted to know what the quality was like?

Soldato
if its track days then its fine as there should be enough light. The F/2.8 is only for night usage or if you really want to create the DOF.

If i was you, work with the F4 IS and see what kind of shots you get and see if your happy with it. They say that the IS does bring an F-stop or more.

In terms of money, there is a big differance between the F/2.8 and F/4.

Associate
i have one and rate it very highly. When taking panning shots of motocross etc i tend to switch the IS off and just aim to have a high shutter speed. I find the IS becomes very usefull for wildlife & portraits. The lens handles very well as it is quite light weight. The new 2.8 version has great reviews and would be an advantage in low light situations but i belive it is also quite a bit heavier.

heres a motocross panning shot IS off

4417525335_21e6745470_b.jpg

heres a birdy IS on

5232369608_a7d24e0ce9_b.jpg

Soldato
I have the non-IS version. I keep thinking I'll get shot of it as it doesn't get that much use.

Then I use it and realise what a brilliant lens it is.

Back
Top Bottom