• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge or wait for Haswell?

Associate
Hi. :)

At the moment, I have a Q6600, it's ok but is getting on a bit. I will be looking to upgrade at some point but i'm not in a rush to, unless it's a worthwhile upgrade.

I don't really game, only a bit of emulation but I do a fair bit of video editing and some graphics, rendering and stuff.

I was wondering if it's worth going for a sandybridge CPU or wait for Haswell in 2013?

Anyone know if Haswell will support DDR4 or will we still be stuck on DDR3?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Associate
Haswell is absolutely eons away in computing terms. Don't worry about it. Only upgrade your computer to SB if it's not performing the tasks you need it to.

As for DDR4, I'd expect it to be widely available by the time Haswell drops by. However, this is purely conjecture - very little is known about Haswell so far, Intel have not confirmed any details or even whether they're currently developing it. Everything that we do know is on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

Associate
Haswell is absolutely eons away in computing terms. Don't worry about it. Only upgrade your computer to SB if it's not performing the tasks you need it to.

As for DDR4, I'd expect it to be widely available by the time Haswell drops by. However, this is purely conjecture - very little is known about Haswell so far, Intel have not confirmed any details or even whether they're currently developing it. Everything that we do know is on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

wow! didnt know about this, so much for the halt in how far we can shrink a die :p

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

I do see what you are saying.

I normally only upgrade every 3 to 4 years, as I can't afford to buy a new PC every six months. My current PC will be 4 years old by next year.

Computers do go out of date very quickly. Sandy bridge will be out of date in the next 10 months or so.

So I skip a few generation and buy the best but most upto date.

The thing is, i'm not even 100% sandy bridge supports things like usb3 or the next SATA.

So if Haswell is not far round the corner and will be supporting these features more, then my money is better spent on that. Then it would need to last about 4 years, before I do the same again. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Btw is this true about sandy bridge? It's from wiki.

In addition, Sandy Bridge processors will implement security features that include the ability to remotely disable a PC or erase information from hard drives without permission from the current operator of the PC. This can be useful in the case of a lost or stolen PC. The commands can be received through 3G signals, ethernet, or internet connections. AES encryption will be available for both video conferencing and VoIP applications.

No way will i buy a CPU with that kind of feature. That will be used to spy on people and get there computers shut down illegally. That has all the potential for abuse by anyone.

That is the sort of thing the US goverment would love, so it can shut down wikileaks.

Edit Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With all you clever members on here, does no one know if it is true? :confused:

If OCUK do reviews on the sandy bridge, then hopefully they can find out if that feature is, or is not on that CPU.

I think if it is true, I will skip sandy bridge for Haswell. I may even go AMD if intel screw up.

Back later to see if anyone knows. :)

Associate
OP
I think the information on that link is ment for laptops and older technology, than the one going to be used on sandy bridge.

I contacted intel over this but the woman on the phone was useless. I was advised to contact an intel partner, who has not got back to confirm or deny it.

Well I have no reason to believe it's not true. I put this into google "Remote Kill Switch Added to Intel’s Newest Processor" and a lot of news about it.

See here http://www.infowars.com/remote-kill-switch-added-to-intels-newest-processor/

At first this sounds great: if an owner loses a laptop it can be remotely disabled to ensure no sensitive data is compromised. But essentially we are giving up control of our computers and putting that control in another’s hands.

With the Patriot Act in place and and legislation like the ‘kill switch’ bill, many of the rights we took for granted are threatened. It is well within reason to fear this type of technology as it could be used as a means of control and censorship.

It's hardware based and looks like it can not be turned off. It looks like it's something to do with some USA bill that's being brought in.

I think I'll give Sandy bridge a miss and even haswell, if it has the same feature.

AMD could make a lot of money on the new bulldozer CPU at intel's expense. So long as they don't have anything like the kill switch on intel CPU's.

I don't recommend anyone buy a intel processor with that feature.

Looks like my next computer will be with a AMD bulldozer, or I will just keep what I have now.

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL no it is actually anti theft technology and will be controller by system administrators who can set conditions for a poison pill in case computers are stolen or laptops don't check back into the company domain in time.

Caporegime
If this is true I'm not touching one with a bargepole, how long before a virus developer creates something to wipe peoples' hard drives or disable their £200 CPU?

Associate
FUD alert anyone?

First of all, this feature is only going to be in the business-oriented B and Q-series chipsets, and will be managed through Intel's vPro Technology by the sysadmin. Secondly, you physically need to be at the computer to enable vPro in the first place. Finally, the connection to the out-of-band system is heavily encrypted, so it's unlikely a rogue actor could access it without the password.

That article doesn't even talk about the technology and how it works, it just briefly mentions the phrases "kill-switch" and "Sandy Bridge", then launches into a FUD-laced tirade about how the CIA is spying on everyone.

Remember the pertinent point - the hardware needed for vPro doesn't even exist on the H65/P67 chipset that the vast majority of consumers will have.

Associate
OP
If this is true I'm not touching one with a bargepole, how long before a virus developer creates something to wipe peoples' hard drives or disable their £200 CPU?

That is exactly my thinking.

I called round some more intel partners but it's like banging your head against a brick wall. Some would not help, others did not know but one did say something about it.

I was told that you would need some subscription service for this anti theft feature and you should be able to turn it off in the bios. The subscription service i was told about, seems to be backed up from this i found on the web.
http://www.techzone360.com//topics/...ote-kill-switch-added-new-intel-processor.htm

I am still not convinced just yet, as this could be abused or lead to far worse on future intel processors. Far as i'm concerned, this kill switch should not be on CPU's or motherboards for domestic end users.

I would feel better if it was not used at all but should only be for business use.

This situation is similar to the Chip-Tracking ID thing, that were going to be used on the old pentium 3 CPU's. This caused an outcry for privacy reasons and intel disabled it. The same could happen again with sandy bridge.
See here http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2000/04/35950

Found this. Maybe of interest.
http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-4463

I will be asking some of you who buy the sandy bridge, in the new year, if any of this is on your new computer. Plus if you can disable it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I called round some more intel partners but it's like banging your head against a brick wall.

You are talking to some on here already. Please stop with this FUD.

this kill switch should not be on CPU's or motherboards for domestic end users.

this feature is only going to be in the business-oriented B and Q-series chipsets

Did you even read what this guy posted? Please read his post and take it onboard as it is spot on correct.

Associate
OP
You are talking to some on here already. Please stop with this FUD.

I'm sorry but whats FUD about calling round some intel partners? Thats exactly what I did. If You think that is FUD, then that is your problem.

Did you even read what this guy posted? Please read his post and take it onboard as it is spot on correct.

Yes i did read it but i had already done some finding out as in my last post. So I thought it best I report my findings.

At the end of the day, information is here for people to see but i'm sure they can make up their own minds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom