• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PowerColor 6970 pictured and benched

Associate
It strikes me that the processor is a 1055t amd at 4.2!! now I could be wrong but a lot of people can only manage 3.8 on air and why go to trouble of watercooling a chip like that(cheap)?

Associate
Its a tad unusual to try and mis-direct people by purposefully releasing slow cards into the wild tho its not really a great tactic if people are leaking how slow your cards are* even if they actually are a lot faster.

* You will lose customers i.e. people will think "well blow waiting for that then I'll just buy the <insert EOL/competition> card instead" and spend their money before release.

It's probably to make up for when AMD released fast versions of the HD 6850 (1120 shaders and tessellation was over 30% better!) to some reviewers instead of the regular speed versions (960 shaders). Now this time, they send reviewers slower cards. :p Some reviewers were dumb and returned the faster 6850s for the regular. And the reason, it seems, that those 6850s had extra shaders was since they had a different BIOS that activated the extra hidden hardware.

So it can be totally possible that there are fast and slow versions of the Radeon HD 6970.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20101025/radeon-hd-6850-with-960-and-1120-shaders-tessmark-and-shadertoymark-comparisons/
http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20604-hd-6850-with-1120-shaders-went-to-reviewers
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1942

Last edited:
Permabanned
lets talk about the card not the gui for it please.
based on those benches. thats poor even for a 6950.
it could all change in the next 3 days......

cant see it happening though..

no wonder charlie and co have been quiet.

Last edited:
Soldato
^^^
charlies last comment on SA yesterday was suggesting why people weren't asking about the switch turning from 1920sp to 25••+

He hasn't really been quiet

Soldato
rightyo - if we're sensible - why would you possibly have a switch like that for that purpose

it would make no sense at all - if there was such a switch it'd be done by software

Soldato
I do wonder
This guy has got the card, why is there no comment or reference to this new mystery switch
Also the sticker on the card, isn't it the same guy with the sword that's on the HIS card ?

Soldato
I'm beginning to think I should unsubscribe to this thread as we're all speculating - but its kind of interesting :) only a few days to go ...

anyone seen the testers recent posts re power usage under load ?

I see hes posted a screenie using the new GPU-Z build which in theory supports the new cards.

Soldato
without reading all the thread that bench is clearly a fake. just looking at the number of shaders, date and the actual difference in fost of the numbers it's fake. the 1600 shaders is clear to see.

compared to the other GPU-Z results in the other thread this isn't real

Soldato
without reading all the thread that bench is clearly a fake. just looking at the number of shaders, date and the actual difference in fost of the numbers it's fake. the 1600 shaders is clear to see.

compared to the other GPU-Z results in the other thread this isn't real

Yeah GPU_Z results in the other thread are from the same guy in this thread, hes just updated to a new version of GPU-Z that now shows the correct specs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom