Guilty Pleasures

Soldato
i look back at the amount of money i've wasted on clothes and cringe. i look at the amount of money i've wasted on nights out and grin, they were awesome times, looking forward to more over christmas. however, if i ever become a father, then i will spend the money on pampers as opossed to stella.

Associate
Is guilt a wasted emotion or not?

For a few years now, I've been wanting this new Home Cinema System I’ve been after but I hadn't the balls with younger children around the home plus we've been paying out for extension work which has left spare cash at a premium. As a result, a few things were left off our agenda last year but these needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later. However, last week, with the credit cards all flat I get this impromptu feeling to buy this new system I’ve been after which now sits proudly in the living room like the crown jewels of Lower Gonad St.

Then, quite unexpectedly, this guilt hit me hard as cricket bat to an Aussie ball. Did I really need this? No. Were there other things that we need? Yes. Are you an idiot? Totally.. I even thought about feeling it on or sending it back.. even a with small loss. I spoke to my wife about how I felt and she was cool with saying you are allowed to spoil yourself from time to time.

Stupid thing is before my youngest son came along (nearly 4 now) I would have never gave this a second though. I've even been feeling this way towards my PC stuff.. “New Graphics card? Nahh.. The one I have works fine”

So tell me, why the sudden change in behaviour? Have you ever felt like this? And why the Long face?

Did you really have to put the Aussies Ashes Jibe in there :( lol. Shame on the aussies being so useless this year...

Caporegime
Worst "I just bought an expensive new sound system" thread ever.

I just bought 2 new pair of glasses.

Do i need a new pair? Yes, the current one is 3 years old, falling apart and prescription changed a touch on one eye.

Do i need 2 pairs? No!

Did i get it? Yes

Guilty? A little.

Wll i return it? No, i can't anyway lol, plus I have thought about it for like a month first,

Caporegime
Do you normally think things through thoroughly before a big purchase?

On something big, lets say over £100, I think about it for a while.

The time allows me to get over that urge feeling. I have found that i have bought a lot of junk in the years past because of impulse rather than let time go by, if after a month i still want it then chances are i will use it more.

Particular with stuff like games, i still have batman asylum wrapped...

Soldato
Same as Raymond; depending on the value, I spend a proportional amount of time thinking about it, making sure I do really want it, and spend more than a healthy amount of time finding the best deal. I have yet to regret one of these purchases thankfully, so no guilt about spending loads of money. In fact, more often that not, I tell myself I should have bought it sooner. Coincidentally, just ordered a Sony 37ex403 at £450, free BPS370 BR player + free Pacific BR boxset. I should also get £60 or so cashback on that TV. Spent weeks researching and waiting for a deal, and now I've splashed the cash on this piece of luxury, I don't feel guilty (thankfully).

Small things (£10-20) I buy on impulse, I often regretting doing so, on the other hand, but then I think it's not too bad as it's a small value.

Soldato
Since having kids I have become a tight***** old skinflint.

From dipping into my paycheck to pay off credit cards at the start of every month, I now get mardy if I can't stick at least 10-15% of every payday into savings.

I say this is connected to planing for the wee'uns' futures. My wife thinks I've just turned into Generic Dad (though it is true that I've adopted Generic Dad jokes and dancing. It just happened...).

Permabanned

From dipping into my paycheck to pay off credit cards at the start of every month, I now get mardy if I can't stick at least 10-15% of every payday into savings.

I say this is connected to planing for the wee'uns' futures. My wife thinks I've just turned into Generic Dad (though it is true that I've adopted Generic Dad jokes and dancing. It just happened...).

Don't worry, this will happen to some of us in near future. :D

Man of Honour
OP

My wife thinks I've just turned into Generic Dad (though it is true that I've adopted Generic Dad jokes and dancing. It just happened...).

This sadly is all part of fatherhood, it's when the kids themselves tell you how embarrassing you are, pluck out your nasal hair and buy you Hair dye for Christmas.. then your life goes flashes past you..

Soldato
Particular with stuff like games, i still have batman asylum wrapped...

unwrap this game. The wife got it for me for xmas late year and I've only just gotten around to playing it. It's brilliant. I honestly wish I had played it earlier.

GWOT incoming...

I used to be the same as you from what I can tell. I started work at 18 and by 21 I was taking home 25k a year and still living with my parents. I didn't save a single penny in all the time because I was buying stuff every single month and it boggles my mind how much I must have spent. If I wanted it I just bought it.

Then I proposed to the wife and had another year of binge buying. Bear in mind that I barely drink so it wasn't like I just ****ed it up the wall. Then I went cold turkey and started saving like mad, doing all the overtime I could to build up a chunk of change to pay for the wedding and the house. In the next 2 years I managed to save up about £25,000 just because I stopped buying stuff all the time. It allowed me to spend what i needed on the wedding and still contribute to a £33,000 deposit for the house and then £20,000 to do it up. I'm lucky in ways, but I worked hard and went without for what seemed like decades.

Now like you I weigh things up a lot more before buying. I'll buy the odd DVD or book if I really want them but most of the time it'll go on my wishlist to make life a bit easier for the family at xmas. I bought a new phone (DHD) when it came out for £90 and I bought the PS Move the weekend that came out. I bought a new graphics card when I got SC2 (the Gigabyte 460 GTX) and that was replacing my ageing 8800GTS. Needless to say the difference was remarkable. But each of those were still things I'd ummd and ahh'd about for ages.

In contrast if its something for the home I'll buy it without batting an eyelid. I dropped £600 (all of my overtime for the month) on a new tumble dryer in November. When we were doing the house up we bought a £1200 washing machine, a £500 dishwasher, a £500 fridge and a £1000 oven. All of it was an easy decision.

Yet for me to spend my money which I work long hours for (I'll not lie and say hard) I have to deliberate for weeks. This isn't through pressure from the wife. In the time I've saved 2.5k she's saved nowt and wouldn't bat an eyelid if I dropped £500 notes on a new rig.

I just get that same "I could have done without this" feeling that I sense you and many others do.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, things that I could have done without.

my Wii - That's £180 plus another £200 spent on games I haven't made any use of. It has been on like less than 20 times since i bought it 2 years ago.

My Bike, I have ridden it about 2 dozen times?

Those are the big purchases that i could have done without.

Thankfully I don't smoke, I hardly drink, and i don't gamble so when I "waste" money, I still get something tangible out of it.

Soldato
This sadly is all part of fatherhood, it's when the kids themselves tell you how embarrassing you are, pluck out your nasal hair and buy you Hair dye for Christmas.. then your life goes flashes past you..

Oh man... and eyebrow hair!

My wife's mum is an ex-hairdresser and often cuts my hair. Last time she did, about a week ago, she looked at me to appraise the haircut and then, very thoughtfully, said... "hmmm, I think perhaps the eyebrows could do with a trim as well."

:o

What's that? Is that middle age calling? You say you've got some comfy slippers and a dressing gown for me? Well.. ok then...

Soldato
I have just spent £250 on my credit card for a second hand DSLR...wanted one for ages, and it was a present to my self for clearing my credit card for the first time in 4 years...its not empty anymore :p

Back
Top Bottom