A word to people in bowling alleys

Associate
Just be the best at everything so no one can ever give you advice again? Problem solved.. Just stay away from the internet you can't be the best at that.

Man of Honour
Are you truly catastrophically bad at bowling or do you just happen to live in an area full of pretentious tools who enjoy giving advice where it isn't wanted?

I don't go bowling often and I'm pretty bad when I do but I don't recall ever having advice offered, in fact I don't think I even noticed anyone cringing after my shots, apart from me.

//edit I'm also slightly worried this was the short version, how bad was the long version?

Soldato
Last night me and my gf went to the local bowling alley for a bit of fun. Like a lot of people we were just there to enjoy ourselves, we don't take it too seriously. It wasn't long before the guy at the next lane come up to me and said, "your last shot was good mate, but you need to work on your follow-through more. Sometimes you're throwing the ball. It's called bowling, not throwing. Now over there, look at that guy, that guy's throwing the ball, that's not what you want to do".

Were you throwing the ball overarm as that's generally frowned upon?

Disclaimer: I am useless at bowling

I'll make this quite short. This post is directed at all you guys out there who tell other people you don't know how to bowl. This happens time and time again in bowling alleys and it drives me mad.

Last night me and my gf went to the local bowling alley for a bit of fun. Like a lot of people we were just there to enjoy ourselves, we don't take it too seriously. It wasn't long before the guy at the next lane come up to me and said, "your last shot was good mate, but you need to work on your follow-through more. Sometimes you're throwing the ball. It's called bowling, not throwing. Now over there, look at that guy, that guy's throwing the ball, that's not what you want to do".

The same thing happened years ago too. I was out having fun and some random guy said, "look mate, your girlfriend's not playing well. You have to be the man and show her how it's done."

Similarly - again - I was out with some friends once and one of them was so serious about bowling "properly" including counting us down in steps to throwing each time that I couldn't wait to leave.

So the point of this post is - if you're one of those people who likes to offer 'expert' advice on bowling to strangers - please don't. We don't care. We don't think it's impressive and we don't care about your supposed prowess as a bowler. In fact, if anything, it makes you look more sad. Just let people get on with it and have their fun.

I understand your issue but...

The truth is throwing the ball can eventually damage the lanes so they are in a way trying to stop you from breaking somthing and getting charged for it.

Back
Top Bottom