Mac noob, need some help?

Associate
Hey guys, in a bit of a pickle.

Basiclly, I needed to get some files from the Mac's we have at uni but my external drive is in NTFS as I use a Windows based PC. Now I managed to format my drive using MacDrive 8 to the Mac based file format. This allowed the Mac's at uni to see and write to my external so I could transfer the files from the Mac's to my hard drive. However at uni, I used the Disk Utility program to partion my drive to have 50Gb in HSF format and 400Gb in FAT32 format. I copied my files over to the Mac partion and using MacDrive 8, I managed to copy the files to my Windows PC.

Now this is my problem, I cant get my drive to format in NTFS so it can be read by a Windows PC. I have access to both a Windows 7 PC and a Macbook Pro, running Snow Leopard.

Any advice would be glady appreciated.

Associate
When you say you can't format it to NTFS, why not? This may be the problem I had when I did the same with a flash drive, you have to reformat it using a mac but there's a certain setting you have to tick somewhere

Associate
OP
When you say you can't format it to NTFS, why not? This may be the problem I had when I did the same with a flash drive, you have to reformat it using a mac but there's a certain setting you have to tick somewhere

Theres no option on the Mac to format as an NTFS drive. Only MS-DOS FAT which is not being picked up by my Windows PC.

Associate
cant you just format the entire hard drive as fat32? its natively supported by both windows and osx. it may not be strictly the best file system, but it works here

edit: am i missing something? your issue seems more complex

Last edited:
Associate
Format it from a linux live cd. Invaluable discs.

Then use 'NTFS for Mac OS X' to read/write to the disc under OS X, or alternatively, do it from the live CD, up to you.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you look in Disk Management on Windows? It's possible that Windows simply wasn't assigning your drive a letter.

Personally I'd format the drive to Fat32 from that screen (i.e. through Windows) and then both Win and OS X should be able to read it.

Back
Top Bottom