• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD ATI Radeon Experience

Soldato
FireShadow, I think you should do yourself a favour and maybe step away from the world of PCs...
You blame OcUK for something that is most likely your own fault. You won't even entertain the notion of installing Windows because it's too takes too long. (It doesn't take long, plan it out first)

Instead of complaining about how bad the retailer is, how about you troubleshoot and see what you've done wrong?

Soldato
magicroundabout> He already said he was using an image (ghosting), I suggested he do a proper reinstall rather than relying on image's.

150 programs? Seriously? What exactly do you need all those for? Are you able to try and run your card with a base installation? Do you have a spare HDD to try it on? (BTW, do you have a list of the programs you install?) (It would be hard to remember them all from memory, so I assume you have a list?)

Fireshadow> You bought a system that was cheap and OcUK have put a system together within your budget. I assume that it worked originally, how long before you had problems? What exactly are you blaming OcUK for here? It's not their fault if a component fails, they back you up with warranty etc, I really don't understand the problem.

IF the PC was built badly, then that would be a different issue, but that's not your issue, so you don't have a complaint, I suggest you quit with the business hate :) (Because it really seems unjustified).

Klo

Klo

Soldato
163 "programmes" installed on my HDD. That's what Control Panel tells me anyway.

My system works just as good as when I'd installed it 14 months ago. Happy times?

Wait, I think I mistook programs for 'processes' in the task manager. Programs I probably have a few more, but even then not that many.

Associate
OP
You guys don't really use your PCs.
You just install windows and a few games.
You don't understand what managing a real workstation is like.

And I am not "business hating" I am stating my position:

- everything I bought from overclockers has had problems or failed way to quickly
- so I will try somewhere else

Overclockers should realise that selling "cheap" things will reflect on them and not do it.

If Antec 380W PSU is not a good piece of kit ... don't sell it.

That ridiculous comment somebody made about the retailer not having a say in the quality of the products they sell ...

next time you are in a restaurant and get bad food - they can say "it is your fault - you ordered it"

Soldato
You could have just used a different 'restaurant', but if you bought the same product it doesn't matter who you bought it from does it. Why don't you buy the same things from another etailer, and then go **** them off? I don't see why it's OcUK's fault you bought something cheap. If you didn't think it was right, you should have complained/got it sorted at the time. If you ordered ".. bad food .." you should have returned it.

And yes.. OcUK stop selling something if they get a high number of returns or the warranty is not being sorted out properly by the manufacturer (as far as I'm aware).

You haven't answered some of the previous questions I asked in post #82.

How long did you own the system before it started going wrong? Was it in warranty still?

Where is the list of programs? There might be incompatibilities.

By the way.. I clearly don't use my development computer properly, developing web systems that millions of people access.. guess I just play games right? Have you considered having different accounts on the same PC for different things? I.e. a gaming account, and a work account ?

I'm still confused how you are able to just slot in an Nvidia card to an ATI system. Do you have a 'basic' image that doesn't have graphics drivers installed?

If you have a spare Hard disk, you could always just try a basic installation on that without ditching your old installation.

BTW... I had a 3870 for year's on multiple drivers set's and never had an issue. It was the most reliable card I ever owned.

Soldato
You guys don't really use your PCs.
You just install windows and a few games.
You don't understand what managing a real workstation is like.

And I am not "business hating" I am stating my position:

- everything I bought from overclockers has had problems or failed way to quickly
- so I will try somewhere else

Overclockers should realise that selling "cheap" things will reflect on them and not do it.

If Antec 380W PSU is not a good piece of kit ... don't sell it.

That ridiculous comment somebody made about the retailer not having a say in the quality of the products they sell ...

next time you are in a restaurant and get bad food - they can say "it is your fault - you ordered it"

Ok so you think ordering an antec 380w psu is going to be better ordered from another site. You will be recieving the same psu, if it breaks it was because it was faulty or you overloaded it, this has nothing to do with the quality of the retailer.

The way i look at it is if something goes wrong with any of my pc parts under retailer warranty i know i will get good service from ocuk in replacing it. There will be quit a lot of people on this forum that have had bad dealings with other retailers and now will pay that little extra if needed to have the good customer service that ocuk provide.

Any how last post from me the more i read of this thread the more i think the whole op is just a troll.

Soldato
I think the OP has problems and it just snowballed...

BTW: This thread of his http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18072001&highlight=startername_FireShadow show's the type of app's he's installing. (He's a developer it seems).

Given that my development environment really hacks up the registry and crucially CAN NOT BE DONE WITH AN IMAGE FILE.. perhaps you unfortunately will have to go the installation route, at least to get the VERY basic installation for your motherboard done? Really.. I'm trying to help you here..

Last edited:
Caporegime
I always try to buy mid to high range components as cheap brands are called cheap brands for a reason.

Depends on the component in question though, some graphics cards can be classed as a cheap brand but most of the time they still use the reference board and cooler from the gpu manufacturer. Any time a gpu launches its all reference cards\cooling priced differently depending on the brand when theyre all exactly the same card.

Soldato
Funny. Thread started with Hardware good, software bad. Turned into OP slating etailer for bad product supply, which sorry.. is blantantly false.

Perhaps we need to get this thread back on track and discover exactly what drivers are causing issue's and which one's so he can compare to other people and the features that don't work for them.

Associate
If the OP is a serious dev then Visual studio and dev tools are great on a virtual machine or two, mess up the VM just load the snapshot. The graphics packages can be on main no probs.
Multiple VM's are standard so can test 64bit, 32 bit and various diferent windows version etc. if your a serious dev you have msdn so licences for development is not a prob.
Keep main real pc as clean/minimal as poss.

Associate
My AMD experience.
Sold my 6870 yesterday, was using 10.12 drivers and did not uninstall them first.
Took delivery of my 6970's (first crossfire setup i've done), installed them,
booted up into windows and uninstalled the 10.12 drivers while installing some automatic updates for windows, restarted,
installed 10.12a drivers, restarted, everything seemed to be running fine, ran some benchmarks, check some values, played with settings, played some games and generally been extremely happy...

It's not rocket surgery.

Associate
I worked in a desktop support team for 2500 developers and some of the builds we would have to put together could take 4 days of software installs before being dropped of with one if the devs for 'tuning' before taking the image so I understand what the OP is saying.
But, if you want to test if hardware is working try a fresh build and install the latest drivers etc and see how things go. If it works ok after that then you know its an image problem and can create a fresh image.
If you do have to recreate your build, I would recommend you test your build now & then to ensure everything is still working and take the odd mid-build creating image just incase theres a problem.
OP: Your tone is really bad and you don't make yourself an easy person to help. Years of suffering/ working in support has taught me to ALWAYS be nice when asking for help/ support, people are much more likely to want to help.

Last edited:
Soldato
My AMD experience.
Sold my 6870 yesterday, was using 10.12 drivers and did not uninstall them first.
Took delivery of my 6970's (first crossfire setup i've done), installed them,
booted up into windows and uninstalled the 10.12 drivers while installing some automatic updates for windows, restarted,
installed 10.12a drivers, restarted, everything seemed to be running fine, ran some benchmarks, check some values, played with settings, played some games and generally been extremely happy...

It's not rocket surgery.

blah blah, yes we know it's not difficult, u just happen to be one of the lucky ones who it just works for, some of us need countless uninstalls and reinstalls to get a working driver with our systems. We click the same uninstall button u do :rolleyes:

J.D

J.D

Soldato
blah blah, yes we know it's not difficult, u just happen to be one of the lucky ones who it just works for, some of us need countless uninstalls and reinstalls to get a working driver with our systems. We click the same uninstall button u do :rolleyes:

No need in the mocking reply (it's chriiiiissssttttmmmaaaasssss :D), I too have never had problems with drivers and such so it's kind of hard to see where people are coming from if you've never experienced it. In the same bracket, just because I have never had any problems I shouldn't presume that you don't know how to remove drivers. So I can see why you have replied to MichaelM like that.

Any time I've had a problem I then start stress testing my RAM, CPU and tighten/loosen timings or add volts if needed. Also the odd BIOS flash or re-seat. It's never been a driver culprit. Oh that's a lie, my X-Fi decided to go nuts on me till I cleared all Creative with driver sweeper, otherwise my sound was not working. It only took me about ten minutes to figure it out though :).

Go through the process of elimination to see where your problem lies, if it actually is the drivers then I apologise but with no experience of this other than finding out a problem with my X-Fi that I rectified within ten minutes, I can't really be the one to advise :(. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom