OcUK Advent Gamer 8555GX

Associate
Been considering ordering this laptop but I'm unsure on the screen quality:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.0GHz Quad Core Processor (1066FSB, 6MB Cache)
- 4GB DDR2 Memory
- 500GB HDD
- ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4670 1024MB GDDR3 Graphics Card
- 17" HD LCD 1440x900 Screen
- Optical DVD-RW Drive
- Intel WiFi 5100 (a/b/g/n) Wireless
- Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
- Aluminum Finish
- Gaming Keyboard layout
- Upto 3hrs Battery Life (9 Cell Battery)
- 12 Months Warranty (Open Box)

£599 inc vat.

Anyone have any ideas on what the quality of the screen is like? I really like the look of the spec this machine has.

Cheers

Associate
Been considering ordering this laptop but I'm unsure on the screen quality:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.0GHz Quad Core Processor (1066FSB, 6MB Cache)
- 4GB DDR2 Memory
- 500GB HDD
- ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4670 1024MB GDDR3 Graphics Card
- 17" HD LCD 1440x900 Screen
- Optical DVD-RW Drive
- Intel WiFi 5100 (a/b/g/n) Wireless
- Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
- Aluminum Finish
- Gaming Keyboard layout
- Upto 3hrs Battery Life (9 Cell Battery)
- 12 Months Warranty (Open Box)

£599 inc vat.

Anyone have any ideas on what the quality of the screen is like? I really like the look of the spec this machine has.

Cheers

it says HD so you can only assume, maybe ring up or email customer services, im sure they will help, usually with 24 hours aswel.

As opposed to the GPU, is it a pre-built laptop? seems like a stupid question i know but then again £600 for the laptop is great...oops....the GPU :) well could you not ask for an upgrade for a lil more £££ or is it a budget buy sort of pruchase :confused: if not then no worries, looks great for its price :) BUT you could get a better spec new system if you bought your parts and made a gaming pc yourself...just saying :D

Associate
OP
Yeah I might give them a ring and see what they say.

My budget is around £600 so this one does seem fairly decent for that price. Are you saying the GPU isn't that good? According to notebookcheck it should handle most games at high quality although it doesn't have directx 11 support which could be an issue in the future. I'm not sure if they would be willing to upgrade the graphics if I requested it there doesn't seem to be an option on the page.

Yeah I know I could easily get a better spec if I build a desktop one but it's mainly for convenience because I'm at the girlfriends more than I am at my own place so it's really to have a machine that I can transport around between mine/hers and at Uni (although it is a 17" so maybe not that transportable after all :S)

Soldato
17'' aren't that bad if you don't make it a habit. It'll be a pain, but less of a pain than lugging around a desktop for sure.

I don't think the specs are bad either for the price. If you want an alternative, you have the TOshiba Satellite Pro L650 with HD5650 and i3-350 for around £600.

Associate
OP
17'' aren't that bad if you don't make it a habit. It'll be a pain, but less of a pain than lugging around a desktop for sure.

I don't think the specs are bad either for the price. If you want an alternative, you have the TOshiba Satellite Pro L650 with HD5650 and i3-350 for around £600.

Yep I was having a look at the Satellite Pro L650 but I'm sure I wasn't able to find it anywhere on-line that actually had it in stock...

Associate
Yeah I might give them a ring and see what they say.

My budget is around £600 so this one does seem fairly decent for that price. Are you saying the GPU isn't that good? According to notebookcheck it should handle most games at high quality although it doesn't have directx 11 support which could be an issue in the future. I'm not sure if they would be willing to upgrade the graphics if I requested it there doesn't seem to be an option on the page.

Yeah I know I could easily get a better spec if I build a desktop one but it's mainly for convenience because I'm at the girlfriends more than I am at my own place so it's really to have a machine that I can transport around between mine/hers and at Uni (although it is a 17" so maybe not that transportable after all :S)

gotcha :) i see why u want a laptop now, keep your options open though, £600 can go quite far just like that toshiba, and that has a 5650 :)

Associate
OP
What does everyone think of the processor on this laptop?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.0GHz Quad Core Processor

Is Quad core overkill and do any games/apps actually make use of it or would it be more sensible to stick with an i3?

Soldato
Back when that CPU came out I think the general consensus was that the low clock speed hampered performance, vs. a faster clocked dual core. This was especially important because the Core 2 Duo laptop chips went all the way to 3ghz or so I believe. The new Core i quad core laptops have turbo boost, so that's less of an issue these days.

The 4670 is pretty dated now, but it should be alright for gaming as long as you're not expecting the world.

Soldato
Depends what games you'll be playing, I would take the Q9000 over an i3 anyday for my games. Although I have to admit, it would be worth your while to upgrade the GFX if it wasn't too much more money.

Soldato
Sorry, silly question but I am trying to find out more about this particular laptop. Bought it from Overclockers in October, I think it is a repackaged PC World laptop as it had some branding etc with PC World's Tech Guys stuff. Trying to find drivers etc but it seems that in fact PC World just repackaged an MSI laptop, which is what I think this is but very little information seems to be available (I don't even seem to be able to nail down exactly which MSI laptop model etc). Basically, the built in camera doesn't work and I can't find drivers for it, the SD card reader works but Win7 ReadyBoost crashes the machine... need more hardware info to get suitable drivers...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom