BA Flights

Soldato
OP
My brother is stuck in frankfurt for 2 days now as he was due to fly with BA. However they transferred him to lufthansa and that got cancelled aswell:(.

I don't understand that US and Canada also have more heavy snow in certain parts and yet the airports there seem to be operating normally. Oslo airports seem to be fine even though it snows heavily in norway.Why is it that everytime there is heavy snow or rain in this country, it brings the transport system to a standstill in this country:mad:?

Because, this being England, nothing is ever anybody's fault and therefore nobody takes responsibility :(

The fact that this is still a relatively unusual event, in spite of it having happened for the last three years now, also plays a part ;)

Man of Honour
My brother is stuck in frankfurt for 2 days now as he was due to fly with BA. However they transferred him to lufthansa and that got cancelled aswell:(.

I don't understand that US and Canada also have more heavy snow in certain parts and yet the airports there seem to be operating normally. Oslo airports seem to be fine even though it snows heavily in norway.Why is it that everytime there is heavy snow or rain in this country, it brings the transport system to a standstill in this country:mad:?

Because Canada and Norway get heavy snow on a regular basis therefore it is in the interests of the airport authority to spend millions on lots of awesome snow clearing equipment.

In the UK we get it for a week a year, making the investment in such expensive equipment not worthwhile.

Man of Honour
Caporegime

Why didn't he just get a train or something back? Would have saved a load of hotel costs and he would have been back yesterday at the latest...:confused:

Man of Honour
It took around 1hr 32 minutes to get through via phone, and then about 2 minutes to change the flight (internet site won't allow re-bookings for some reason)

Is that with BA?
I love how the US airlines issue "travel waivers" which allow you to go online and proactively change your booking accordingly. It's so much easier.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;18035292 said:
There are no Hotel costs as BA are obligated to pay for that.

Good point, however I also assume that insurance would pay for alternative transport if a flight was cancelled?

Soldato
I'm flying out of Heathrow on Wednesday morning to Hkong. The weather forcasts keep changing, anyone know if likelt to be ok? Thanks

You asking us to predict weather 4 days into the future whilst not even the Met Office gets it right half the time? If it's assurance you're looking for when it comes to weather, there's none to be had. Ring your airline, but I can tell you now it will be a short conversation.

I got a flight out of Heathrow on Thursday, I've already made peace with the fact that it might not leave at all.

Soldato
OP
Good point, however I also assume that insurance would pay for alternative transport if a flight was cancelled?

I believe that BA are obliged to get you home within a reasonable period of time. If a flight gets cancelled, they must find you another flight. If they can't they must find you another means of transport. I can't remember what this period of time is, though, and I also assume it doesn't cover acts of god, including the weather (and the ash cloud earlier this year). Then again, your insurance probably doesn't cover this either...

Ovr

Ovr

Associate
I'm getting really, really nervous about my flight from Birmingham on the evening of the 23rd - going out to Cape Town to spend Xmas with my Fiancé there.....she is not going to be happy if my flight gets delayed, especially in the light of emirates messing up my first booking when I should have been going today....but then again I wouldn't have been flying today either by the looks of it!

C'mon snow, be a good lad and go away!

Caporegime
I'm getting really, really nervous about my flight from Birmingham on the evening of the 23rd - going out to Cape Town to spend Xmas with my Fiancé there.....she is not going to be happy if my flight gets delayed, especially in the light of emirates messing up my first booking when I should have been going today....but then again I wouldn't have been flying today either by the looks of it!

C'mon snow, be a good lad and go away!

I'd say you have a better chance getting there if you get the ferry to France and fly from Paris or something !

Soldato
Reading this thread about the troubles people have had with BA and after all the striking fiasco earlier in the year I'm surprised anyone still trusts them. I for one never book through BA and would pay more just to avoid them!

Man of Honour
Reading this thread about the troubles people have had with BA and after all the striking fiasco earlier in the year I'm surprised anyone still trusts them. I for one never book through BA and would pay more just to avoid them!

Quite often it would suit me better to fly with BA but I choose not to because their service is so god damn volatile. I know quite a few people who feel the same too!

Man of Honour
Quite often it would suit me better to fly with BA but I choose not to because their service is so god damn volatile. I know quite a few people who feel the same too!

Absolutely. I have no idea how much BA were charging for my last flight as I filtered them out of my search results on Skyscanner.

Man of Honour
On tonight’s news a reason given for Heathrow being at a standstill today is that aircraft have been snowed into their stands. So you can clear the runways buy you can’t get the aircraft moving. I wonder how Gatwick managed.

Back
Top Bottom