BA Flights

Soldato
Due to fly out tomorrow evening and arrive at Gatwick Wednesday morning! Seriously hoping this will not ruin our Xmas !!
US Airways, weather seems as if it might just be ok, 'light snow' predicted but not below freezing until Wed night. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Soldato
Try Brussels then. My boss landed in Brussels this afternoon and he says everything is fine there. Can hop on the Eurostar from there to London. As for your other question, no idea. Never had BA screw up anything for me, nor any other airline where accommodation was required.

Soldato
OP
Just checked the BA site and managed to pull my flight forwards by a day...hooray! Means I've got twelve hours to pack four months of stuff, clean the flat, wash sheets, get to the airport, check in etc...feel like Jack Bauer. But not as awesome.

Soldato
After the holidays, I cannot wait for some pasty BAA company man to come out and spew that they 'learned a lot from this' and will be prepared next year, only for it to happen again.

Associate
3 days worth of cancellations from Berlin, received my 4th booking for tomorrow. Thankfully I live out here, so I'm not holed up in some airport, but it'll be a damn lonely christmas if it doesn't break.

Soldato
OP
My departure time is meant to be 13.40, but it's updated departure time is 16.21. Does this mean that I should arrive at the airport at the usual time, in time for a 13.40 flight, or should I arrive three hours before the 16.21 time?

Bes

Bes

Soldato
My departure time is meant to be 13.40, but it's updated departure time is 16.21. Does this mean that I should arrive at the airport at the usual time, in time for a 13.40 flight, or should I arrive three hours before the 16.21 time?
Three hours? Pfft 90 minutes should be plenty.

Soldato
OP
Three hours? Pfft 90 minutes should be plenty.

With all due respect to India, I've been here long enough to know that you can never leave enough time for something to get done :)

My question was more regarding whether I should arrive in time for 13.40 or 16.20...any thoughts?

Man of Honour
What if Heathrow had an under tarmac heating system?

A man can only dream...

The problem with Heathrow is that it only has 2 Runways. This means closing one of the runways causes huge problems, meaning:

a) You cant really install something like under tarmac heating without causing loads of delays

b) You can't clear snow without causing loads of delays.

Most of the runways which handle snow better have more runways and less flights.

Heathrow is the busiest International airport in the world - yet it has just two runways. Other busy airports have more than 2.

They tried to build a 3rd runway but it was ruined by eco hippy muppets.

Soldato
So it takes a turn for the worse, i think Gatwick have just closed their runways for a while ??
Not accepting any more arrivals until tomorrow now. Tomorrow's arrivals look to all of been cancelled/delayed/diverted :( We are meant to arrive Wed @ 7a.m!!!

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;18044156 said:
The problem with Heathrow is that it only has 2 Runways. This means closing one of the runways causes huge problems, meaning:

a) You cant really install something like under tarmac heating without causing loads of delays

b) You can't clear snow without causing loads of delays.

Most of the runways which handle snow better have more runways and less flights.

Heathrow is the busiest International airport in the world - yet it has just two runways. Other busy airports have more than 2.

They tried to build a 3rd runway but it was ruined by eco hippy muppets.

Yes and no, I agree Heathrow, or should I say, an airport with a great transport link to central london needs more than 2 airways, however the eco nuts have a point. People live near flight paths and people live where the 3rd runway would be.

At some point down the road you'd have saved billions and billions of pounds just building a "proper" airport somewhere out of town, with a uber high speed frequent train link built to get people into London.

3rd runway is an expensive but not that expensive short term solution that will eventually need a 4th runway as traffic increases, etc, etc.

A whole new airport out of town, then closing down Heathrow and building an uber expensive train link into town would cost a lot more now, but long term, is far cheaper, you can start from scratch and build the "perfect" airport and save billions in the long run.

Then once Heathrow is shut down for good that land would be worth a freaking fortune anyway. Business centre's, housing, whatever really.

What I don't get is the fuss over xmas, we're barely religious in this country and its barely a religious holiday.

We all were told very clearly this weather was coming, a MONTH AGO, don't go out of town right before xmas, plan to come home earlier, take a trip 3 weeks earlier than you wanted, or come home to see the family the second week of January.

It always does my head in that told, catagorically, December will be a horrific december, worst in 30 years and Xmas will have severe travelling issues, 90% of the people traveling could have gone at a different time, meaning those that do actually have to travel around xmas, have hugely less problems with far fewer people traveling.

If I wanted to go skiing in Europe, after knowing what weather was coming this month and the increased traffic at xmas to start with, I'd simply go a few weeks earlier, or later.

Peoples inability to comprimise when told exactly whats going to happen, is shocking, puzzling, borderline retarded.

Associate
Managed to find a seat with a different airline. Submit card details, click....sorry seat taken! Fuuu! That was 3am and a noob got my ride seconds before me.

5min later found another one, last seat. Quickly bought it and now on my way to Luton hoping it won't be cancelled when I got there.

Also passed by the longest queue ever. People waiting to get on the Eurostar. 5am, freezing weather, across several streets. Never seen anything like that before.

Back
Top Bottom