• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire 6970 Major Problems

Soldato
OP
Well. I installed Windows 7 onto a spare raptor I had.

I installed the 10.12 drivers no problem from the site this time. Ran 3Dmark11 on Performance 720P and got a result of P4835

Is this reasonable? It did look better than on my current OS. It also never cut out half way through telling me AERO needed turning off.

I agree that reinstalling my operating is going to be a pain in the arse, as I have tonnes of programs I use. Custom settings, etc etc. Even with Raid0 ssd's. It will take me sometime.

Ridiculous just for a GFX card install. Microsoft to blaim rather than ATI I suppose.

I am going to faff about with drive sweeper and system restores for a little longer to try and get a good clean install of 10.12, before resorting to the reinstall.

Thank's for the advice.

p.s. My psu isn't the problem.

Caporegime
Ok.

I did a System Restore, totally removed all drivers and install attempts etc. I installed 10.12a.

Installed fine. However, only averaging 9FPS in 3Dmark11 which at least now runs.

Something is seriously wrong somewhere, surely. Is everyone elses HD6970 running ok with the drivers?

I new I should gotten a 570. Everyone always seems to **** ATI drivers, now I know why.

Instead of moaning fix the problem...

Why on earth are you using system restore?

What mobo and what PSU do you have?

Soldato
OP
Instead of moaning fix the problem...

Why on earth are you using system restore?

What mobo and what PSU do you have?

Excuse me for being a little annoyed after spending £300 on a card for it to not peform correctly.

If I could have fixed the problem I would have, otherwise I wouldn't be replying to this message just now.

I have used system restore hundreds of times to fix faulty Windows machines, and it works wonders 95% of the time. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

I have an Asus Maximus Formula, and as previously stated a Thermaltake Toughpower 750 Watt. The Mobo is PCI-E 2.0 capable and the PSU is more than capable of powering the card.

Associate
ok i encounter this problem before

what i found was the ati driver has trouble writing over the microsoft driver for the gpu

so when i uninstall the ati driver, windows auto install the microsoft driver, what i did was change it to standard vga driver and install the ati driver and it worked.

hope it helps

Soldato
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961798

I used this, just be smart about the ccleaner, and ONLY delete the files that state ati unless ur absolutly sure about it.
(a save regfile is a good idea)

I followed this and fixed some issue I got with the preview driver (dont use it on 6900 series);)

If I'm having problems and I suspect it's because of driver install issues, what should I do?

This is what the Caveman does for Driver freshness. You'll need two free tools - CCleaner and DriverSweeper. You'll also need to know how to reboot into safe mode, and to be able to use 'common sense'.

Disable Eyefinity groups, Crossfire, if enabled
Optional - Enter Device Manager: Uninstall Display Adapters and check box for 'Delete Device Driver'
Add/Remove Programs: Remove currently installed Application Profile updates (if installed)
Uninstall CCC and Display Driver, using Catalyst Install Manager Custom mode (Don't express uninstall if you have an AMD Chipset)
Reboot into safe mode
Run Driver Sweeper for ATI Display Drivers, don't reboot.
Run CCleaner for Registry - run Analyze and only select ATI entries for removal.
Delete the following folders (applies to Vista/7)
SystemDrive:\ProgramData\ATI
SystemDrive:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ATI
SystemDrive:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ATI
Reboot to desktop, run Express install on desired Catalyst driver & reboot if prompted.
Install all Application Profiles newer than Driver release (i.e. 10.3whql/a/b would use both March & April profile updates).
Enjoy!

I

Soldato
it will be the generic driver that windows installed causing the issue, unistall all ati and ccc drivers as normal through control panel/add remove programs

Then go to device manager and unistall the drivers for your card in there, this should make a difference as when you unistall your display will reset to 800x600 or something like that, reboot and when windows trys to install drivers cancel it, and go ahead and install amd/ccc drivers

I had this problem once myself and this worked for me from what i can remember

Soldato
ok i encounter this problem before

what i found was the ati driver has trouble writing over the microsoft driver for the gpu

so when i uninstall the ati driver, windows auto install the microsoft driver, what i did was change it to standard vga driver and install the ati driver and it worked.

hope it helps

yeah very similar to what i said, sorry didn't see your reply, wasn't copying you lol:)

Soldato
OP
I did some major faffing around with Drive sweeper and ccleaner etc earlier. They got rid of the old ones no problem, 10.11 kept installing no matter what I did until I used these.

I now have 10.12 running and getting a score of P4835.

However, compared to other peoples scores in some games, and benchmarks It's not very good. Just cause 2 benchmark was averaging 60FPS with V-sync off and 42 with it on.

Dirt 2 was similar

Heaven benchmark crawled, compared to some guys running 470's and steaming through it.

Associate
I've had some nightmares with my new 6970 too.

Somehow it's giving me less FPS in F1 2010 than the card it replaced, a 6850. And some benchmarks in iRacing are also slower. Very odd stuff going on.

Associate
Could be becausing your card is running too hot/reaching it's TDP limit and therefore throttling down. Just a guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom