• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Brdige Chipset Info + Sandy Bridge-E

Associate
No, there will be a replacement socket towards the end of next year called LGA 2011 to take the Sandy Bridge-E processors.

so why is the processor release on Jan the 9th :confused:

edit: these are for i5 replacement (1156) ? or will these work on i5 boards

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
so why is the processor release on Jan the 9th :confused:

edit: these are for i5 replacement (1156) ? or will these work on i5 boards

The cpu's being launched in Jan are the replacement for the current i5 1156 sockets, the new cpu's will use a new socket 1155 which is not compatible with 1156 boards.

Socket 1366 replacement is due later in the year.

Hopefully I got that correct! :eek:

Soldato
The cpu's being launched in Jan are the replacement for the current i5 1156 sockets, the new cpu's will use a new socket 1155 which is not compatible with 1156 boards.

Socket 1366 replacement is due later in the year.

Hopefully I got that correct! :eek:

Believe so...:p

Associate
Sorry but this sounds like nonsense. The only thing I could find about this was regarding the P35 chipset, which had datasheets mentioning PCI-E 2.0 but these plans were scrapped and it had PCI-E 1.1 instead, leading to confusion.

However, all chipsets since then (at least the P, Q, X and H series) have PCI-E 2.0.

a) the original post in this thread has a row in the table called 'PCI express 2.0 lanes (2.5GT/s)'

b) http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/p55/p55-overview.htm scroll to near the bottom of features and benefits, once again, 2.5GT/s.
Doesn't say the same for x58, so i guess you guys are safe

Soldato
Permabanned
I don't know too much about sandy bridge. I've heard that Intel are limiting the overclocking ability on their chips. If so then I'm gonna start to think they will lost their foothold within the overclocking industry/casual hobbyist.

MMMMM interesting

Soldato
Think I'll stick with my 920 d0. Can't see the point in upgrading really.

RoEy

Same here, I brought my 920 since it first came out and I haven’t even bothered to overclocked it yet as its running everything i want it to. Intel releasing all these replacement socket types...for what?!?! Just to show how good they look on benchmarks but yet to the human eye performance is minimal.
All these extra features such as EFI could easily be integrated into current or previous chipsets without changing socket types.

Back
Top Bottom