iPad now?...or wait?

Caporegime
Hai guyz,

So, the same old apple question...now or wait?

After using my bosses one the other day I'm itching to get one...but any ideas when its due to be replaced?

I don't have any real problems waiting as I don't have a major need for one...but it certainly would be a 'nice to have'

So....is it due soon? Any ideas peeps? :)

Cheers,
Jake

Soldato
I thought that they talked about a replacement around April time.

I'd wait - look how much better the second version of the iphone was to the first. Apart from anything else, the ipad 2 should have a camera, which would be nice.

Caporegime
OP
I thought that they talked about a replacement around April time.

I'd wait - look how much better the second version of the iphone was to the first. Apart from anything else, the ipad 2 should have a camera, which would be nice.

I'd be more interested in a retina display tbh :)

Hmm I'll have a dig around the rumour mill!

Soldato
The second Generation is due out in Spring 2011. I would definitely wait, there is quite a few fundamentals missing from the first GEN if you ask me. Like mentioned a camera for one, an SD card slot for expanding storage and trasnferring your photos straight from camera. USB ports. HDMI out to connect it to the tv.

I doubt they will add them all, especially not the SD card slot. Because then they couldn't justify charging an extra £200 for 16GB of flash storage for the "better" model.

Just ask yourself if it never had an apple logo on the back, would you still want one?

I'm personally holding out for a decent one next year, hopefully there will be a lot more manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon and producing some cracking tablets.

Caporegime
OP
Just ask yourself if it never had an apple logo on the back, would you still want one?

Yep....got sod all to do with it being made by apple. I've used one, and for a fair bit over the weekend. I want one :)

I'm not really bothered about USB, HDMI or any other ports to be honest...I just love the screen and the OS on it.

Associate
Expect an announcement in jan, with them going on sale feb-march I reckon. We're holding out for the 2nd gen as a living room browser!

Associate
iPad 2 announcement should be January 25th. Hold on a month and see what the second revision brings!
A quick note regarding Buchanan0204's earlier comment, the current iPad can accept photos straight from a SD card. You just need to buy the iPad Camera Connection Kit.

Associate
The iPad almost definitely won't have a retina screen, it may be of better quality but the resolution will be the same. Or so I've read. I'm picking mine up tomorrow. Not bothered about camera or other rumoured additions.

Caporegime
OP
The iPad almost definitely won't have a retina screen, it may be of better quality but the resolution will be the same. Or so I've read. I'm picking mine up tomorrow. Not bothered about camera or other rumoured additions.

Why almost definately?

Their other devices have them? why not the iPad?

Or if its due to cost, then they could release 2 models, one with and one without retina.

Soldato
I'm waiting for the new iPad before picking one up, although if they reduce the size of the screen then I will be waiting until someone from here sticks theirs on the MM :D

Associate
Why almost definately?

Or if its due to cost, then they could release 2 models, one with and one without retina.

From what I remember, a 10" retina display would have a ridiculous resolution and be very very expensive. Secondly, something to do with app development - apps designed for ipad version 1 won't scale properly or something.

Soldato
the iphone 3g wasn't monumentally better than the 1st one though? it had 3g and a few bits of trimming then it was the OS that made the differences which were translated throughout the range just like ios 4 for ipad.

apple products like the iphone/ipod touch and I'm sure the ipad will be the same are about evolution not revolution, especially when they have themselves in a very lucrative regular upgrade schedule. I had the original iphone when the 3g came out and wanted a 3g but didn't feel like I'd been done as the difference was gradual, same when the 3gs came out when I had the 3g and the 4 came out when I had a 3gs (yes I upgrade a lot but never on day 1).

There are a few facts that the tech rumour sites such as engadget etc all pretty much set on..

it won't have a retina display, way too expensive, uneccessary and too big a jump for app designers etc (and doesn't fit the whole evolution thing)

it will have a camera, cases and skins are already starting to pop up with cut outs for them but nothing on res (why you'd want to use the ipad as a camera absolutely defeats me, couldn't be less interested, phones yes.. I have one on me all the time so I get those "happening now" shots but the pad largely stays at home).

it won't have usb, they don't want it to be a macbook competitor so I'd expect expansion ports to stay exactly as they are, especially considering you can get the camera connection kit if you like.

it won't have hdmi as that conflicts with the airplay apple tv strategy.

so you're likely to get a ram increase (common complaint), cpu speed increase and maybe slight res bump and then maybe some weight saving (althoguh no size change, that's also confirmed by jobs I believe) and the camera.

I reckon you're very unlikely to get a storage bump, the ipad sits in the whole 16/32/64gb thing like the iphone/ipod touch and going to 128gb would be unlikely but thats just my opinion.

In short, I'd buy now. Its a great toy and unlike an iphone you're not tied into a contract (unless you're dumb enough to buy one on a contract) so if you like the new one, sell the one you've got and buy a new one! happy days!

Soldato
Why almost definately?

It would have to be around 2600x1950 4:3 or 2700x1800 3:2 to be a 'retina' display, not going to happen as it'll be really dificult to run anything at the native res and will cost a fortune.

They may increase the resolution but not by that much.

Soldato
I would wait. I bought one but the first gen are just too limiting.

I am interested in the second one because hopefully by then it will have a camera and hopefully skype will have got off its arse and made a video version of their app!! Yahoo messenger on the iphone supports video chat now so what are skype playing at?! You can even do video chat over 3g connections!

I live abroad and found having to get my laptop out each time to use skype basically made me just keep the laptop instead. It was good as a toy but I couldnt justify it when it didnt do everything I required of it.

Hopefully 2nd gen will fit the bill as I use video skype a lot! Won't be any use though if skype don't sort out their act.

Back
Top Bottom