Oh hell! hitacho or Samsung tft

Associate
Demos excellent review has me in a pickle.Was going to get the Aoc but the dvi on my Iiyama 453 convinced me i should get a tft with a dvi input.
So the 18 inch Sammy or the 17 inch Hitachi?Sise matters:)
Demon saw some ghosting and blurring with his Sammy-i know some people experienced this with their models but wasnt this down to a bad batch?
Someone reassure me.
Sorry,not trying to start another Samsung thread just need some help in making a dificult decision.
cheers
bobinski

Associate
Yep im in the same predicament and TBH i think (not 100% sure) that im gonna go for the hitachi and spend the rest on a new graphics card to get DVI currently have and Asus GF3

:)

Soldato
I don't think my sammy 172T has a bad panel, these seem to be limited to the 181's and gave mutliple image ghosting problems, giving you for example the same effect as mouse trials.. , multiple images of the mouse pointer....

My samsung gives smearing of the mouse pointer, which seems in line with the 25/40mS LCD's that I have seen (an Eizo L565 for instance). When reviewed, they seem to perform equal to or slightly worse than most 40mS LCD's, and that is where I would place mine. The worse thing with the samsung panels is the black smearing, a trait of poor rise times, and this is the most noticeable smearing... the real ghosting is very minimal.

In fact games like UT2K3 are very playable with the Samsung, but when running around, the ground looks out of focus, and this is due to the response times. I only noticed this because the Hitachi is so much better in this respect, and gives a much crisper in focus effect.

I'd say the Hitachi is at least 2-3 time faster then the Samsung panels, they claim 25ms theoretically, but the 'typical' times are around 40mS, the Hitachi 16mS is quoted as typcical already, so its theoretical will be faster then this, and it shows in side by side tests. Its black smearing that plagues the samsung is non existant on the Hitachi.

Even at 16mS if you know what to look for, it still smears, but ghosting is dramatically reduced.

The Hitachi technically does lack slightly in yellows/Cyans, and is dominant in red/blue, and has a high DVI contrast, which makes games look superb, but can make some yellow icons look slightly off. This is minor, and can be adjusted out of course..
The samsungs have low DVI contrast, and do look a bit washed out, but give more dark detail.

As for the size, I'm sure people notice the extra inch of the 181, but it is still 1280*1024, and the text size is quite large on the 17, so on the 18 will be even bigger. What I'm saying is the extra inch is not that big a deal, if it gave you 1600 * 1200, then yes, I'd get one myself.... (A 16mS One that is), and larger panels show things like smearing/ghosting up even more..

If games are your thing, the Hitachi is without doubt the one to buy, if you only use 2D apps, then any LCD will do, so the 181T is fine...

You really want to try the monitors for yourself, as only you will know what's acceptable to you. I'd make sure you demo them, since £600 on a 181 is a lot of money to risk.. even the £430 of the Hitachi still warrants a demo...

Associate
OP
Demon
thanks for the response-you should write review for mags etc:)I can get the Sammy for £520 so the difference isnt as great.I was hoping O\C would bring the price down because i prefer to buy here.
I have no way of seeing the 2 monitors side by side so comparisons will not be possible.Thats why i found your review so helpful.
Its funny you know.People complain about blurring but in real life when we move fast things become a blur!I suppose though that somehow the human brain manages to focus on a particular thing atr the same time and thats the differmce.Shame games cant yet replicate this.
Thanks again for the review and reply.
Anyone else have this Hitachi like to comment?

Soldato
I'm in the same pickle!

-EDIT- Just realised what I was asking :rolleyes: Sorry

But if anyone knows where i could see one in London that is not a competitor the please let me know :)

Thanks,

-=R4z0r

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by bobinski
Demos excellent review has me in a pickle.Was going to get the Aoc but the dvi on my Iiyama 453 convinced me i should get a tft with a dvi input.
So the 18 inch Sammy or the 17 inch Hitachi?Sise matters:)
Demon saw some ghosting and blurring with his Sammy-i know some people experienced this with their models but wasnt this down to a bad batch?
Someone reassure me.
Sorry,not trying to start another Samsung thread just need some help in making a dificult decision.
cheers
bobinski

Noo dont say that lol, I dont wanna hear DVI is a major improvement !

I hear the difference cant be seen, only if u got a GF1/2/3 or cards with low pass filters/low ramdac...

Which graphics card u got m8 ?

Associate
OP
Ive got 9700 PRO.
There is a noticeable difference between the anologue and dvi digital picture on my 453.I tried it today in order to decide wether or not to go for the Aoc.

Soldato
My wallet chooses to ignor you;)

Thats the only real question I was trying to find from CRTs/LCDS does the DVI make any difference...im hoping in your case its due to CRTS but ill assume the worst.

So to any LCD owners out there, does using an DVI connection increase image quality?

Soldato
You can easily see the difference, you don't even have to look hard either, its is 100% perfect as far as pixel alignment goes, and it shows, text is just so much crisper.

People who switch to DVI normally say "I thought my LCD was good on analogue, until I plugged it in via DVI, then it blew me away"....

DVI is as perfect as you rmonitor can be, each pixel is exactly as it is in your video card memory, with perfect geometry, no aliasing (moire), no colour edge bleeding/tizzing. You will just be left with the viewing angle/backlight imperfections...

GO on, you know you want one.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom