Anyone know anything about Air Compressors?

Maz

Maz

Soldato
Evening Gents,

I ordered an Air Compressor off the net for my new workshop, speaking to the seller he recommended a 50LTR 2.5HP 115PSI MAX 262L/MIN Compressor for running air tools.

The air tools run a max off 90PSI, so I unboxed the compressor started it up - waited for it to fill and regulated pressure to 90PSI.

The tools run like crap, you can stop them with your finger!

I've sealed all the threads so there are no leaks, but there is one small leak coming from the regulator on the tank and will need to be removed and sealed but it's tiny so I'm thinking that this can't be the cause.

Have I missed out anything or should I be returning this compressor for a new one?

Soldato
yeah sounds like you need to open the valves where the arrows are in the pic
47814.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't get any major problems with my 3hp 50L SIP, but it refills very quickly. Of course I have to wait for pressure to build every now and then, it's only 50 litres so that's expected.

It runs a finger file, wheelgun, Schutz gun, paint gun, whizzy wheel.... only thing it struggles with is a DA sander which stalls every now and then but as ratface says, they really do go through air at a mighty rate of knots.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
OP
I need to run an Air Impact Wrench and other automotive air tools.

I'll be phoning the supplier tomorrow and returning it as it's no way near powerful enough.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
What is this new venture Maz, do share? :)

Btw to add to the consensus here, that 262L/min is about 9 cubic feet. That is the problem and why the tools are stopping. 14cfm compressors are quite cheap, and will run air tools.

Soldato
What is this new venture Maz, do share? :)

Btw to add to the consensus here, that 262L/min is about 9 cubic feet. That is the problem and why the tools are stopping.

I doubt that's the problem - once the tank is full you should have all the airflow you need (for a while), but it sounds like Maz's problem is that even with a full tank the tools have no power. Sounds more like a regulator problem or restriction in the line somewhere.

Permabanned
Its not about the PSI, its all about the FAD (free air delivery), the more the better. The tank capacity just allowed air delivery for longer between the motor running.

I have a 2.5HP with 50l tank but its a V-Twin and hence has superb FAD and runs everything from air nibblers to impact tools and even my shot blast cabinet :)

Permabanned
I don't get any major problems with my 3hp 50L SIP, but it refills very quickly. Of course I have to wait for pressure to build every now and then, it's only 50 litres so that's expected.

It runs a finger file, wheelgun, Schutz gun, paint gun, whizzy wheel.... only thing it struggles with is a DA sander which stalls every now and then but as ratface says, they really do go through air at a mighty rate of knots.

This is pretty much the experience I have with my Sealey 50litre compressor. I've used the air hammer loads removing floor tiles, air ratchet for all my car work and painted things like bumpers no problem.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
OP
Thanks Gents,

Jez - just a new retail site selling used cars with a stock capacity of about 40-50 max.

Looks like I need a new compressor, it will rarely get used as the workshop is just for prep of used cars, so a max of 3-4 times a week.

Must be able to run at least an Air Inpact Wrench.

Thanks

Soldato
You have also got the tool valve opened up haven't you.

90 psi is 90 psi at the end of the day, yes maybe the tool will run out of steam quickly if the pump can't keep up or the tank isn't very big but it should at least START fast.

If you've got one of those stupid self coiling plastic bits of tube then also check you haven't kinked it somewhere as this would do it. ;)

Maz

Maz

Soldato
OP
You have also got the tool valve opened up haven't you.

90 psi is 90 psi at the end of the day, yes maybe the tool will run out of steam quickly if the pump can't keep up or the tank isn't very big but it should at least START fast.

What's the tool valve?

I admit, I'm a noob when it comes to compressors!

Soldato
most tools have a "tap" to regulate the amount of air coming through, make sure that's set to fully open as well as the one on the tank as pictured above.

When you turn the knob on the tank, the secondary gauge does go right up to 90psi to match the primary gauge one doesn't it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom