Places to live

Associate
Hi All,

I apologise if this thread has already happened and bores you BUT, me and my partner are looking to move out somewhere, we'll both be qualified teachers and (hopefully) will have a minimum income of £42,000 between us. We have never lived on our own, aside student accommodation so basically starting from scratch. I think we would spend between £400 to £600 pcm on rent.

We have no strong ties (except family for me) so we are free to move anywhere, I just wanted some ideas or recommendations of prospective places to live in the midlands mostly.

Where would you recommend? what is the place like for ammenities and schools?

Thankyou in advance :) xx

Associate
OP
Sorry, I would say £400-£600 pcm between us, I don't know if this is reasonable or not?
and nope we aren't tied at all, My family is mostly based in the midlands and my partners is west yorks, but as there is only us we aren't tied to anywhere, just a good place as a starting point to live. I wondered about derbyshire? x

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
You can move to My town (Hinckley) if you like as it is the Best town in the Midlands to live/settle. I moved here around 18 years ago & Love the place, Lovely people, Loads of space, Chilled attitude overall & full of Proper family types.

Permabanned
You can move to My town (Hinckley) if you like as it is the Best town in the Midlands to live/settle. I moved here around 18 years ago & Love the place, Lovely people, Loads of space, Chilled attitude overall & full of Proper family types.

What about the *****'s?

I know of at least one that lives in Hinckley.

Man of Honour
I'd agree with the jobs then location advice but £400-600 between you for rent isn't a huge amount, while it depends on where you live it is a fairly small proportion of your overall salaries. If we pick £600 then it's approximately 17% of your combined income (for the purposes here I've used £42,000 and taken no tax/deductions), I've generally worked on the premise that anywhere up to approximately 25% of your income is reasonable for living expenses so in your case that would be in the region of £800-900 and that should open up a much wider selection of places. Obviously what a reasonable set of living expenses is will vary from location to location but it's another perspective.

Soldato
I'd recommend Lichfield but I am biased on that one. Nice little city - places within your budget - good train links to Birmingham - good road links everywhere - close to the countryside and work wise there are a lot of good schools locally and close by eg Sutton etc.

ntg

ntg

Associate
I'd agree with the jobs then location advice but £400-600 between you for rent isn't a huge amount, while it depends on where you live it is a fairly small proportion of your overall salaries. If we pick £600 then it's approximately 17% of your combined income (for the purposes here I've used £42,000 and taken no tax/deductions), I've generally worked on the premise that anywhere up to approximately 25% of your income is reasonable for living expenses so in your case that would be in the region of £800-900 and that should open up a much wider selection of places. Obviously what a reasonable set of living expenses is will vary from location to location but it's another perspective.

£42,000 gross salary = circa £28,000 annual net salary. So £600 a month would be about 25% of their annual income. It's just about right what they should be looking forward to paying for rent excluding bills.

Caporegime
I'd recommend Lichfield but I am biased on that one. Nice little city - places within your budget - good train links to Birmingham - good road links everywhere - close to the countryside and work wise there are a lot of good schools locally and close by eg Sutton etc.

Lichfield is lovely tbh, good choice if its good for work.

Back
Top Bottom