Backing up Windows updates?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm just about to install my new SSD and put a clean install on it of Windows 7.

I was just wondering whether it's at all possible to backup Windows updates to prevent having to re-download them all which could take a while?

Thanks,
Jonny

Associate
All the update installers are downloaded to C:\windows\software distribution\download

You could try copying the contents of that folder over to your new hdd before running windows update.

Soldato
I'd probably do as sturmtruppe has suggested, that's essentially all a WSUS server does then it decides to hand the updates out etc in corporate environments. There isn't really an alternative for home users though. Only problem I see is you could end up with a lot of updates you don't need and with an SSD you don't want to waste space.

Associate
After a fresh install, I tend to run Windows Update just to get the catalog list of what is needed, but I don't proceed with the download/install at that point. I copy the list of critical updates and then go to the MS download site and download each KB individually that was listed when I first did Windows Update.
Have never been keen for WU to run automatically anyway, so will just run WU myself after a few months and repeat the above.

For any hardware driver updates, I let WU download and install them, but look in C:\windows\software distribution\download during the download/install process as drivers seem to be extracted into a default folder called Install. This is OK if only one hardware driver needs updating, but if WU says you need more than one hardware driver updating, it will clear and replace the contents of Install for each device, so you need to grab the folder during mid install!
I know it sounds tedious but it's how I like to do my updates.

Back
Top Bottom