Have we forgotten how to concentrate? How to focus in a digital age

Man of Honour
Well I read that and didn’t check my email. I don’t find concentration a problem and do most of it in the morning. Once I’m into something I don’t get distracted from it, it gets better when there is more than one thing to focus on. Time for another coffee.

Soldato
I do think this is an increasing problem. I used to always be a 'one task' kind of guy, but now there's so much competing for your attention that it is getting increasingly hard to focus. We are now infinitely more contactable, by text, email, Facebook etc. so the chances that you'll get some sort of message while doing something else has gone up hugely.

(As I sit typing this I just got an email alert on my iPhone). I find that I lose concentration on what I'm watching on TV if I get a text message and have to start replying to it during the show. I think it's just going to take a bit more discipline, to finish one thing before starting the next.

I'm a lot more disciplined with Facebook etc. than when I first signed up a few years ago, where it wasn't uncommon to spend a couple of hours flitting between that and work. Now I check it once a day and only go back if somebody sends me something that urgently needs attention.

It does worry me a bit what the next generation who've grown up with all this will be like, as it would be kind of disastrous if they could never give any one task 100% attention as mentioned above. Even my younger friends still at university seem to really struggle to concentrate, and have to do crazy things like sleep overnight in the library, whereas I managed perfectly fine getting my work done in my house, even though there was internet/TV/Xbox/PS3 just a few metres away. It doesn't bode well for future world leaders...

Associate
I know I'm reviving this thread from many months ago but, it caught my eye whilst searching for something else (ironic?) and I thought the article was a great read.

I particularly like the 'no computer days' idea and will try and impose this on my self on Sundays.

Thanks to the OP for posting.

Associate
I agree that lack of concentration can be a problem, I think perhaps we should have courses on how to improve it, like a summer school. Maybe call it a concentration camp or something.

This is a great business idea, the name is just so catchy for some reason

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival batman!

Actually I'm glad you did...because as it turns out I've failed pretty much to do any of those tasks to improve my concentration! :(

Dammit I shall try harder! :p

Soldato
I'll concentrate as hard as you want - obviously it depends on how much you are going to pay me.

£6.00 an hour = 30% concentration.
£10 an hour = 50% concentration.
£15 and hour = 75% concentration.
£20 an hour = 90% concentration.

And obviously I can give you - my employer (who I am providing my skillset for and earning them even more money than I am getting paid) my undevided attention and concentration if it's a blank cheque ;)

And I don't usually concentrate on articles like that - when they throw in unproven stats (none of my office positions had me interrupted every 3 minutes) that seem to make their research more believable (especially when they are just trying to sell a book at the end of the day)

And saying "we work the longest and get the least done" is rubbish.

Last edited:
Associate
Working on a computer is nearly impossible when its so easy to find intersting things to read/do. Man do I need self discipline!

Soldato
OP
I'll chrome2phone myself the link so I can read it while doing a massive poo later.

See, even poop time is now lost to gadgets, I used to use my poop time to think about the day and what to do next etc but instead its lost to playing games or surfing the net! :D

Associate
Absolutely true, saw a very interesting talk on TED about this a few months ago, the guy theorised that concentration is like sleep: you go through stages of shallow concentration and deep concentration, and it takes time to go back to deep concentration after an interruption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XD2kNopsUs

TL;DR

Edit: Will actually read it.

Anybody else check their email half way through reading?

Comedy genius, thank you! :D

Associate
TL;DR

Edit: Will actually read it.

Anybody else check their email half way through reading?

Lol 'TLDR' is a bannable offence :p

I couldn't agree with the OP more, self discipline is rare, and concentration seems to be even rarer for the majority of people. Often find I'm more motivated/willing to concentrate with an incentive (blank cheque ;))

Last edited:
Soldato
Not only that, but since the digital age of home computing, my handwriting has become terrible, because I hardly write anymore, and when I do, I write like a 5 year old!:D (That's handwriting style not spelling and punctuation).

Back
Top Bottom