*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
OP
My first motivation:

Prior to seeing the Worlds Strongest Man, many years ago, and then WWF wrestling, I used to be taken to see local wrestling at the Bristol Colston Hall.

Along with these wrestlers, I started collecting these things:

3422053156_2454e1edfe.jpg

These were my inspiration. I think I am going to have to scour ebay for some good deals :D

Man of Honour
Starting today my first workout for this year!

20mins abs
Shoulder + legs 1:30mins
Sprint running 10mins 4-6 times 1min run afaic and walk for 1.5min

I decided from now on to hit the Gym direct after work, otherwise if I go home then its zzzzzzzz

Abs before legs?! :eek: I hope you aren't front or back squatting very heavy

Soldato
Abs before legs?! :eek: I hope you aren't front or back squatting very heavy

Exactly, why even bother with abs, hit the big compounds hard much more effective. Get some big sqauts in, then some leg press, leg extensions, calf raise supersets.

I literally fell with style down the stairs last time I did legs and walked like a muppet all evening!

Unless the body parts you have been working a flappy and completely screwed then you must try harder. Come on people, think of those summer days when you are bigger/ripped etc :D

Soldato
Anyone else noticing an influx of people in your gym? Think they call them "new resolutioners" in america. Most of them would be gone soon tho. :D

Caporegime
My word, I've never seen the gym so busy, even this time of year for the last few years. People literally queuing for machines and benches. Lots of pretty boy posers as well as the new year bunch. Dunno if they are tryingto impress the new year bunch or something.

Fortunately for me some of the boys were already there so I joined them, with the added bonus of the usual not letting each other finish lightly.

Which brings me to my next point... I alway find myself having a satisfying dump when I get home from the gym, particularly tonight as it was the first session after all that heavy Christmas food :p Anyone else the same, if not disgusted by the topic? :p

dod

dod

Soldato
it'd be a good idea to start with Stronglifts 5x5. This is particularly fitting for me I think as I've never really done these sorts of compound exercises before properly (and as a result, I have a pretty weak body on the whole) and I'd like to get used to them before shaping my own plan.

So really, quite vague goals.

That's where I am right now.

I've spent the last 10 months building basic fitness, doing circuits but now I want to put some serious effort in.

5' 10
14 stone (Up from about 13 a month ago :o )
no idea what I can lift so can't say what I'm aiming for.

Associate
Just a quick mention to say take care with your deadlifts. It's been 4 months since I last went to the gym, and it's truly truly depressing. The culprit: trying to break a deadlift PB, giving myself a borderline herniated disc in the process. My form was fine. I've been to an osteopath, physio and my GP and so far all they've done is temporarily stop the pain until I so much as do the dishes.

I've been told I'm probably going to have this bother me in some way for the rest of my life, and definitely won't be able to push it to the limit with squats, deadlifts, or BORs ever again. Who knows when I'll be able to go back into the gym, everything aggravates it at the moment. It's excruciating. I'm 24. Be careful.

Soldato
Just a quick mention to say take care with your deadlifts. It's been 4 months since I last went to the gym, and it's truly truly depressing. The culprit: trying to break a deadlift PB, giving myself a borderline herniated disc in the process. My form was fine. I've been to an osteopath, physio and my GP and so far all they've done is temporarily stop the pain until I so much as do the dishes.

I've been told I'm probably going to have this bother me in some way for the rest of my life, and definitely won't be able to push it to the limit with squats, deadlifts, or BORs ever again. Who knows when I'll be able to go back into the gym, everything aggravates it at the moment. It's excruciating. I'm 24. Be careful.

Hope you can find a way to still train or train around it if the situation improves. Last 4 years gave me phlebitis blood clot and pulminary embolism plus two torn tendons. Back in training now ;)

Caporegime
OP
My word, I've never seen the gym so busy, even this time of year for the last few years. People literally queuing for machines and benches. Lots of pretty boy posers as well as the new year bunch. Dunno if they are tryingto impress the new year bunch or something.

Fortunately for me some of the boys were already there so I joined them, with the added bonus of the usual not letting each other finish lightly.

Which brings me to my next point... I alway find myself having a satisfying dump when I get home from the gym, particularly tonight as it was the first session after all that heavy Christmas food :p Anyone else the same, if not disgusted by the topic? :p

I went through a phase of needing a dump not long after finishing warming up. ****ed me right off lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom