Job interview dress code

Associate
I have always passed over a suit jacket for a smart pullover instead to go along with the shirt & tie for most interviews, unless you're going to a city firm or of that ilk then a suit it is I'm afraid. :(

Soldato
Well I only ever had 3 proper interviews and maybe even two at that as they just asked me if I was happy with the wage on the other one (new company took over old one which I left because I disagreed with old management). Other ones were proper affairs though so it was the full works for me but then again those were selling jobs.

Never wore anything but my civilians for the bar jobs I had even one in the cocktail bar place, they just asked me to wear trousers and shirt to work.

Soldato
Lots and lots of latex.

s10infmhk.jpg

Soldato
It means exactly the same as a woman telling you that she doesn't think you should do anything special for Valentine's Day.

People keep asking this question, or slight variations, and the answer remains the same: suit. If you want a job, wear one. Always. No exceptions.

M

Yeah don't worry I bought a new suit the other day so I'll be wearing that!

I think I'll go with double cuffs as I can't find any decent matching shirts in my size that have button cuffs.

Transmission breaker
Don
For this kind of meeting/interview, as its preliminary and not with an employer directly I would probably wear a suit/shirt, but would find a tie a bit overly formal.

Provided you look smart and presentable, the presence of a tie is not going to make or break it. However, if you feel uncomfortable wearing a tie, you will not come across as well and it could hinder your chances.

Associate
What if the company has no internal dress code and their website says that a suit isn't really necessary for interview? Would it still be "inappropriate" not to wear one?

It would almost never be "inappropriate" to wear a suit, but if they specifically say it's not neccesary, then feel free to go in something smart instead. Companies like people who read up on them before the interview.

Associate
My first job interview at the age of 16 to work in a warehouse where over 20 others had applied. I walk into the building wearing a suit and tie, there are other kids sat around wearing tracksuits or jeans. obviously waiting to be interviewed. I stand there for 10 minutes thinking i look like a tw@t!

Out walks the manager, calls me to his office. I have the interview and get the job.... Always wear a suit! The other kids were sent on there way.

Jay :)

Back
Top Bottom