Apple to Launch OSX App store..

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm suprised they've limited in-app purchases, or not given the option to demo apps.

Paying £17.99 for an app you may not like, just because Apple chose not to allow demos seems a bit sad. Also, will this mean devs can't sell the apps through their own site (e.g. exclusive)

Soldato
Yeah there doesn't seem to be much excitement in general about MAS which is baffling really. Found most interesting discussions over at Toucharcade. Thought Macrumors would be buzzing but no!

Associate
I'm suprised they've limited in-app purchases, or not given the option to demo apps.

Paying £17.99 for an app you may not like, just because Apple chose not to allow demos seems a bit sad. Also, will this mean devs can't sell the apps through their own site (e.g. exclusive)

A dev can sell apps through both the app store and their own site if they wish, they can also provide trials on their websites.

Last edited:
Soldato

Agreed. It's stupid and the inflexible pricing structure means that companies cannot use pricing strategies. Nor, with exclusivity, does it allow developers to use channels or other strategic sales mechanisms.

The apple 'way' works for certain things (ie low price commodity in volume - fine for 0.59p mini games) but it's too inflexible for normal business. Also the store rules prevent many applications from being distributed too.

Do you think AutoCAD or Adobe would exclusively offer their apps through just the apple store and not be able to bundle apps?

Apple store terms and conditions are a world of hurt for developers.

Think I need to go read the developer site mac store t&c first (or I may have been getting enraged for no reason :D).

Last edited:
Soldato
Well Apple will reject:
* apps that download additional standalone code - a security risk
* apps that have kext (ie kernel drivers) - this is a security risk anyway so I agree.
* apps must use the apple store to provide updates - a bit meh, but I can see that they can replace the binary with something that then references the developer store thus cutting out apple from the money.
* apps that offes a application plugin 'store' (ie for adding functionality) via a non-apple store. (this doesn't prevent app developers from selling the plug in separately then allowing the user to drop the plugin into the purchased app - I wonder how quick that will be blocked through the t&c).

There is no exclusivity clause in the t&c although the legal contract has a second portion for charged apps..

Soldato
Yep. 10.6.6 is 120.9Mb for me. :)

Screenshot2011-01-06at64533AM.png

Screenshot2011-01-06at64727AM.png

Screenshot2011-01-06at64756AM.png

Last edited:
Soldato
What difference do you mean?

The alert windows are rounded (well at least on my mini 10.6.6).

So can I get educational discount on App Store purchases?

Why? Apple are only a distributor not the owner of the software and unless they want to dig into that 30% (hell freezing over) then the software developers have not given them any permission to discount (also apple has no mechanism todo that).

120mb for you? Its 1.2 Gig for me! I am on 10.6.4 though.

Same here - the updater for the smaller installer stated my HD didn't meet all the requirements.. odd (it's 10.6.5). So 1GB later and it installs without a problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why? Apple are only a distributor not the owner of the software and unless they want to dig into that 30% (hell freezing over) then the software developers have not given them any permission to discount (also apple has no mechanism todo that).

I mean software like Aperture - which is discounted under the educational store. If I buy Aperture from the App Store, can I get the same discount somehow?

Dru

Dru

Associate
I mean software like Aperture - which is discounted under the educational store. If I buy Aperture from the App Store, can I get the same discount somehow?

How much discount do you get in the educational store? I doubt it's cheaper than buying aperture from the app store where it's currently priced at around £45(?) if I remember right?

Back
Top Bottom