Disciplinary for Gross Misconduct

Associate
This reminds me of when i was a nipper and working at a motor museum with a monorail of all **** attractions. There was two operating at a time and one driver would wait for the other to set of before he would start his route.
I was up on the platform chatting to him quick and lent back against the wall and just heard the humming stop.
Cue us both looking at each other like :eek:
I had just leant against the emergency stop button and the other monorail was stuck out on the track. Cue us frantically getting it switched back on as soon as possible.
Lucky the driver I was chatting to was a supervisor so had the keys to get it back running.
Scary at the time but quite funny after. :D

Soldato
I had a disciplinary at work for leaving a pallet truck in the corridor and some muppet of staff tripped over it. It was only a slap on the wrists really.

Associate
To have a gross conduct hearing seems an overreaction on their part. As others have said go to CAB, union or lawyer asap. Make sure that you have a representative with you and do not at any time lose your cool in the hearing.

Do not call the manager a liar - state that you never said what he has stated.

Soldato
I had a disciplinary at work for leaving a pallet truck in the corridor and some muppet of staff tripped over it. It was only a slap on the wrists really.

I could write a book on Tesco disciplinary procedure.

Consistency is all over the shop. People got sacked for tiny things and then one of my mates only got a verbal warning for throwing a watermelon on the store roof.

Also, my other friend only got a written, for leaving the engine running whilst making a home delivery drop and his van got nicked by three tramps.

Soldato
The most important piece of advice - TAKE SOMEONE IN WITH YOU. This can be almost anyone, but you want someone to be able to verify what was said and by whom.

Definately this and you can probably take someone from outside your work, it doesn't always have to be an employee. I know someone who took their mate (a policeman) along who shot the company down in flames for their method of questioning the employee and the way they were interpreting information to suit themselves. Employers gave up and the guy still has a job 2 years later.

Personally I'll be taking that mate in with me if I was ever in that position :D

You'll be amazed how quickly people's attitudes change when there's an "outsider" in the room.

Associate
Some good advice and some not so good advice, one thing i would like to point out is IMO i highly doubt the police will not respond due to two false alarms... Be it 2 or 20 they will still respond.

Jay

Soldato
i wouldn't worry too much, OP. if i was you, i'd want to them to sack me on these grounds so i could take them to the cleaners at a tribunal.

Soldato
Hasn't the precedent already been set by the lack of a disciplinary on the first person that did it? Surely giving you this now would be unfair treatment as they didn't have one?

sounds like OP is being victimised to me

i think your point about NEEDING the job to continue studying is a good one because it makes you look less likely to risk your job so easily.

does the supervisor who lied about you realise how serious this is ? will they be willing to spin the same lies in court or at a tribunal ?

Associate
OP
OP here.

Went through the disciplinary today. Lasted 1.5 hours!! All is well! I haven't even had any formal action against me, just a letter of concern saying be careful what buttons you mean to press in the future, and the queue button has been moved away from the panic button.

Apparently chubb say that the button was activated by resistance check, and triggered about 1 hour after I supposedly pressed it by accident. So it wasn't pressed all the way in or something. I used this opportunity to point out that, if I had indeed pressed it maliciously, it would have triggered instantly. Anyway I watched the CCTV footage again and pointed out that I was simply pressing the queue button, which is the only logical explanation, and they accepted it.

Very happy with the result, as I was shaking all the way through the meeting, and my manager even put a fan heater on cos she thought I was cold :D

Just gonna be really careful from now on and make sure nothing can jeopardise my job. I really need the funds for uni!

Soldato
Nice result bud, I dragged mine for 8 months on full pay and in the end got a nice sum just to drop it and leave as I questioned everything and recorded all meetings then went back to college :D

Associate
Some good advice and some not so good advice, one thing i would like to point out is IMO i highly doubt the police will not respond due to two false alarms... Be it 2 or 20 they will still respond.

Jay

3 False alarms and you are struck off. You then either need your alarm to be upgraded to current standards (ie: if the alarm that is installed is classed as an "unconfirmed" system, to be upgraded to a sequentially confirmed system with graded devices) or be free from false alarms for 6months if you allready have a confirmed system.

Edit: just noticed this.

Apparently chubb say that the button was activated by resistance check, and triggered about 1 hour after I supposedly pressed it by accident. So it wasn't pressed all the way in or something. I used this opportunity to point out that, if I had indeed pressed it maliciously, it would have triggered instantly. Anyway I watched the CCTV footage again and pointed out that I was simply pressing the queue button, which is the only logical explanation, and they accepted it.

Most likely gone high resistance, I suspect you have a Honeywell Galaxy alarm, if that is the case. Very good system, however just in case this issue does crop up in the future, ask the manager to ask the Monitoring station if they have also received a Tamper signal. Allthough when I worked for Chubb (it was Initial Fire & Security back then) tamper signals were never set up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom