B6 Passat - Common Problems?

Associate
I had no problems with my 2.0 TDI, HB always worked with no problems. Only problem was when I came to sell it, due to moving abroad for a few years. Bought it for £22,000, sold it eighteen months later for £8,500.

Man of Honour
I had no problems with my 2.0 TDI, HB always worked with no problems. Only problem was when I came to sell it, due to moving abroad for a few years. Bought it for £22,000, sold it eighteen months later for £8,500.

You struggled to sell an 18 month old Passat for anything more than £8500!?

Associate
As I was already overseas and couldn't sell it privately, so I had to trust a car broker I know, all he could get was £8,500 at the time. Bear in mind this was at the start of '09, when the credit crunch was just starting to bite.

Absoluteley gutted to sell the car, and wish I had shipped it out to Cyprus in the end, as it's got to be better than the poxy Pajero Io (Pinin) we have now. It was the 1200 euros registration and £1000 shipping costs that initially put me off. Besides that the car had sentimental value, as our son was born in it (another story!!)

Soldato
OP
just a small update to this thread....I've bagged myself a passat finally :)

Found a 55 plate 2.0T SEL spec with 32k on the clock, in immaculate condition inside and out from what I could see and as far as I can tell, most of the toys/options (think it's only missing sat nav and stereo controls on the steering wheel) for £8k, which doesn't include what ever I'll get for my Astra when I sell it (decided not to part chop as they offered me £300 for it including the 9 months of road tax still on it!). They've included a few services and MOT's for free in the price over a 2 year period which I guess will be nice to keep the FSH going.

Picking up on Wednesday

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So you bought a petrol then??

Has it got heated seats, leather, heated screen, xenons etc?

yeah petrol. yes to the heated bits, honestly don't know on the xenons but going by the options list on Parkers it has nye on everything else (cd multi, dual climate, cruise, ESP, auto lights/wipers, front fogs, lumbar with electronic adjustment, leather/alcantara seats etc)

Man of Honour
Sounds like it just has the standard spec, especially if has no multifunction wheel. Surely stuff like climate, cruise and ESP, front fogs etc are standard on the 2.0T SEL.

I'm going to say that it sounds like rather a lot of money for a 5 year old Passat.

Soldato
OP
The SEL, Sport and Highline's all have similar standard specs according to Parkers. Out of the list of things they can have, these have like 98% of them all. That's all I'm saying when I say it has majority of the toys.

Front fog's don't seem to be standard however? I've seen a couple of SEL's that don't have them?

Soldato
OP
Gtiracer, I've been browsing the UKPassats forum for the past couple of months just to see what the owners say about them/potential problems to look out for etc. They do seem very helpful on there :)

Sorry monkey_boy, there's no link to it that I know of. Just happened to be driving by the dealer at the time and noticed it. The guy I spoke to about it said that they only had it in for a few days prior. I checked their website and it wasn't even on there.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm on a 08 plate 2.0Tdi 140 Estate. Company car. Been a lovely car and no serious issues with it at all. No issues with the handbrake at all either. Very solidly built car, like a brick shi*house and goes very well as well. Even at, ahem, 120 mph it feels solid as a rock. Roomy as well.

Only issue I have had is a turbo sensor go wrong at 70000 miles and left the car in normal aspiration mode to limp it to the dealers (down the M6 alas at no more than 2000rpm). It has never actually let me down and left me stranded and I have great confidence in it. Still on the original rear tyres too, believe it or not (though on 3rd set of fronts).

Everyone will have a different experience but I'd recommend the Passat.

In saying that I am getting a 320D as my next car I think. I've had two Passats in a row as lease cars and fancy something different.

Associate
Gtiracer, I've been browsing the UKPassats forum for the past couple of months just to see what the owners say about them/potential problems to look out for etc. They do seem very helpful on there :)

Sorry monkey_boy, there's no link to it that I know of. Just happened to be driving by the dealer at the time and noticed it. The guy I spoke to about it said that they only had it in for a few days prior. I checked their website and it wasn't even on there.

Cool, whats your username, I am also Gtiracer over there too

Soldato
OP
Cool, get some pics up of interior/exterior when you get it!

I'll grab some pics this week hopefully, been a bit busy last week.

I'm on a 08 plate 2.0Tdi 140 Estate. Company car. Been a lovely car and no serious issues with it at all. No issues with the handbrake at all either. Very solidly built car, like a brick shi*house and goes very well as well. Even at, ahem, 120 mph it feels solid as a rock. Roomy as well.

Only issue I have had is a turbo sensor go wrong at 70000 miles and left the car in normal aspiration mode to limp it to the dealers (down the M6 alas at no more than 2000rpm). It has never actually let me down and left me stranded and I have great confidence in it. Still on the original rear tyres too, believe it or not (though on 3rd set of fronts).

Everyone will have a different experience but I'd recommend the Passat.

In saying that I am getting a 320D as my next car I think. I've had two Passats in a row as lease cars and fancy something different.

That's good to hear. I'm very pleased with it so far :), though only managed to get out on a few journeys in it so far. Mpg isn't too bad with a good mix of national roads, town driving and motorway driving. It's reported 24 upto 34 but how accurate this is I don't know?

I have to admit, everytime I give it some beans I can't help but grin :D it's an enormous difference compared to the Astra

Cool, whats your username, I am also Gtiracer over there too

No username, I've just been lurking lol I may sign up though, if I do it'll be same username as here.

Back
Top Bottom