Learning VB .Net Which package?

Associate
Going to learn .NET at college, and i have access to MSDN.
Im wondering which package i should download?

software.jpg

Thanks a lot,

Em

Soldato
Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate is the most modern one and the one with the most features, so unless they have told you to get a different version I would go for that.

PS Jealous that you get Ultimate, I have an MSDN subscription but only as far as the premium version!

Associate
OP
Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate is the most modern one and the one with the most features, so unless they have told you to get a different version I would go for that.

PS Jealous that you get Ultimate, I have an MSDN subscription but only as far as the premium version!

Cool well i guess i'll be getting that then! Cheers :)

Yea we have access to loads of ultimate and pro copies.
But most of the £££ stuff only comes with 1CAL :(

Associate
OP
I did almost ask about C#, but as it's a college course I suspect he doesn't have any say in the matter.

Aye your right, no say in the matter haha

I did ask my lecturer and she said it was something to do with .NET not being as object driven as C. Never really coded so doesn't mean anything to me :D

Associate
College's almost never teach C#. Many of the students struggle to understand programming logic, let alone a language that has more complex foundations.

Many of these students will never get beyond basics into OO etc. I know places where they still teach VB6 - and that is why our kids lack the skills required for industry. Well done to the OP to taking a bit of initiative and showing some interest.

My advice to the OP would be just go for the express version - you are unlikely to need any of the more advanced features and it may save some confusion while you're learning. Go for 2008 or 2010. I think most software houses still use 2008. I myself use 2010 and I think it's fantastic.

If you can, grab yourself an ultimate copy so that once you have learned a sufficient amount you can start using the more advanced features available.

Soldato
Guys, screw C#. F# is what beginners should be learning.

(Actually, it'd be interesting to see how learning a functional language as a first language would influence how a beginner thinks when programming, since imperative is the de facto paradigm for any introduction to programming.)

Aye your right, no say in the matter haha

I did ask my lecturer and she said it was something to do with .NET not being as object driven as C. Never really coded so doesn't mean anything to me :D

Well that's totally wrong :confused: I presume she means C#, in which case she'd be slightly less wrong, but still not correct.

For the record: C and C# are utterly, utterly different languages. C# is largely the same language as VB.NET with different syntax and a slightly different feature set, while C is a much older, lower-level language, which bares only syntactic similarities to C# (aside from pointer semantics, but use of pointers in C# is discouraged and very rarely necessary).

Many people say C# is a better choice than VB.NET since it's more popular in industry (indeed, more popular in general, being Microsoft's flagship language), but it'll be pretty straightforward to learn C# once you've mastered VB.NET. The most important thing is to understand the underlying framework, .NET, which both languages are built on. Apart from that, it's just a matter of syntax.

Also - that's not to say you can't do OO in VB.Net - you can :)

Not surprising really, since VB.NET is first and foremost an OO language, just like C#!

Last edited:
Don
For the record: C and C# are utterly, utterly different languages. C# is largely the same language as VB.NET with different syntax and a slightly different feature set, while C is a much older, lower-level language, which bares only syntactic similarities to C#.

Many people say C# is a better choice than VB.NET since it's more popular in industry (indeed, more popular in general, being Microsoft's flagship language), but it'll be pretty straightforward to learn C# once you've mastered VB.NET. The most important thing is to understand the underlying framework, .NET, which both languages are built on.

I agree with this statement, I work within a programming company and I see C code all the time, I'm a web developer / IT analyst at the moment and every time that I see C code I think.... what now? errrrr nope not a clue, wait a minute that syntax looks a little familiar :)

Stelly

Associate
Not surprising really, since VB.NET is first and foremost an OO language, just like C#!

Quite, but given what I'd just said in my previous post I was highlighting that fact - many College students have little idea of OO or the difference between languages.

I would agree that C# is probably a better starting point, but the fact is many institutions will teach the most syntactically simple language purely for the reason that it is simple and will give a good grounding in programming basics. Pascal and VB6 are both still very popular choices for teaching beginners how to code.

Caporegime
If that were the case, they should all be teaching Smalltalk :p

I my blunt opinion, it is people with bad habits teaching those same bad habits to others. Or they are using "x" for reasons other than "it's the most suitable for the job" such as Microsoft's marketing ploys to ingrain their tech into people as early as possible - thus educational institutions get them for next to free, with the byline of "this is what the real world use" which is not always true, and is infact their goal by getting everyone to learn it.

Bah humbug and all that.

Associate
Many of these students will never get beyond basics into OO etc. I know places where they still teach VB6 - and that is why our kids lack the skills required for industry. Well done to the OP to taking a bit of initiative and showing some interest.

That would be my college included in the VB6, we're just so :cool:

Back
Top Bottom