Huyandai w240D kaput ?

Capodecina
Soldato
I'm in the same boat as well as of this morning. The monitor screen just stays black, not even a "no signal" notification on any of the inputs. Reading around on the internet, a lot of people have had the same problem with this monitor.

Looks like I'm going to have to get myself another one [thought not the same model]. I'm not going to wait weeks for it to come back from the repair centre. Of course it would die on New Years' Day when I have no chance of getting a new one until next week!

Associate
Yeah you can expect at least 2 and a half months for a repair assuming it's fixed the first time they send it back. Chances are it won't be fixed and you'll be looking at another 2 months.

I wish there was something we could do to get full refunds for this because a warranty that takes 4+ months to get a repair is unacceptable.

Associate
OP
I called repairtech again today. They have had the monitor for 3 months now.
they tell me that it is still on hold awaiting parts.

I asked them if the parts have shipped and they say they cannt tell me and wont tell me.

Eventually i get to talk to a manager who says the same thing but agrees to pass on an email to huyandi/repairtech head office whatever that is. in addition i asked repairtech to confirm that it will be a replacement pva panel and they say they dont have that information and cannt supply it.

repairtech say they have been chasing huyandai for the parts non stop. i ask repairtech for a copy of their emails chasing huyandai. Repairtech say they cannt and wont supply this.

SNAFU

Last edited:
Soldato
I got offered some new DGM LED Tv thing after keeping at them, which I accepted just to put an end to the months of waiting. My suggestion would to be to push harder, you shouldn't have to wait 3 months and from what I understand it anything after 30 days and they have to offer you a replacement of equal or better specification.

Contact trading standards or consumer direct for advice.

Associate
What did you have to say to them to get offered that Speed? I'm not sure I'd want a TV as replacement, TVs suck at being monitors for computers.

I'm about to hit 4 months at the end of this week. I've not contacted them since they picked it back up on December 16th and I have heard nothing from them. I'm thinking I should contact them and see what the status is. Then maybe threaten to contact trading standards?

Soldato
It is more monitor than TV, basically a 1080p 23" LED Monitor with a built in tuner but then that was DGM and yours is Hyundai.

I basically just kept at them, keep calling them for updates, state you are not happy and you've been waiting too long. Ask if you can get a refund or an alternative product, but don't settle unless you get a panel of equal or better spec as per the law.

Associate
I don't like calling them because you end up being put on hold for ages and it costs a fortune. But I guess that's the best way to speak to them about such an issue.

I'm not sure I'd want a 1080p, I prefer 1920x1200 resolution because it allows me to play a game in 1080p windowed mode without losing part of it off the bottom. I'll push for a refund I think.

Soldato
Yeah I replaced the DGM ages ago, it was my sisters before the long "holiday" at "Repair" tech. So this will be sold at some stage hopefully. Like I say though, the DGM side of the company offered me a DGM product, you'll likely get offered a Hyundai product.

The main problem with a refund is they likely won't offer you the full amount or even near the amount you paid. I mean if it comes to it you can sell what you get and buy something with a decent door-step exchange warranty like a Dell.

Last few times I called I got through pretty quick, maybe try saynoto0870. Frankly asking them to call you back is a waste of time, everytime they promised to keep me updated for phone back a certain time/date they failed to do. But the few quid you will waste on phone calls should get things moving quickly, just don't back down or give up.

Associate
I was lazy after I posted a few weeks ago and only just got round to calling them. I wish I had now.

They said they ordered a PVA panel on the 7th which looks like it will be repaired properly based on what you guys say is the problem. But when I asked if it was January 7th she said February? So what have they been doing since I sent it back in December? I should have asked because it makes no sense for a repair they said they were fast tracking due to their first failed repair. Maybe they ordered a part, tested it and found it didn't fix it and sent for something else.

If it's coming from China or wherever it's surely going to take a month or so right? I asked her if I'll have to wait another month and she said no that they get deliveries every 2-3 working days. That doesn't mean my panel will be in one of the next deliveries surely.

I think I'll give it another two weeks, that will be five months since it was first picked up. I wish there was a way to contact the manager via e-mail rather than having to go to their default support address. I'm sure it's not the fault of the woman on the end of the phone so there's no point making her job difficult.

Soldato
After reading this thread if mine packs up then i think i will just chuck it in the bin and get myself 3 new monitors for eyefinity, shame about all these faults because Im quite happy with mine

Associate
After reading this thread if mine packs up then i think i will just chuck it in the bin and get myself 3 new monitors for eyefinity, shame about all these faults because Im quite happy with mine

I think it's more a question of when, not if, unfortunately.

It's hard to justify throwing away something you paid £350 for two years earlier when it's still under warranty. If I didn't have a 19" to use as backup I'd have bought a new one, but this screen size is still a pain.

The sad thing is I bought this monitor thinking paying more would get me a quality product that would last a good five years or more. Just shows paying more isn't always better. The screen is great but the warranty service being almost non-existent is a killer. I'm tempted to send a complaint to the retailer I bought it from. It's not their fault but they should be aware that selling such products isn't in their best interests.

Soldato
Cant remember how much i paid for mine, i know since i bought it prices of 24 inchers have come down quite a bit, because mines working perfect it makes it hard for me to justify getting new ones for eyefinity, its a few years old now so mabe not long to go

Associate
Most people's I've seen break on here (there's been a few threads) have broke after about 2 and a half years. Hopefully you won't have to deal with it.

I had a phone call yesterday, it's being delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I am done with this mess now.

I still don't get where the hold up has been if they ordered the part just two weeks ago.

What I'd advise anyone else to do is to buy a new monitor as soon as it breaks, send this in for repair and not worry about it. When you get it fixed 4-5 months later sell it on eBay or something to recover some of what you paid for a new one.

Last edited:
Associate
Believe it or not, but they've sent it back broke yet again. Almost five months and I'm back where I started. It worked fine for the first half an hour (again) but the picture is dying again. Slightly different fault this time. It's fading to white and then to black. It seems worse when a game is on screen. But it has gotten so bad I've had to switch it off.

I'm going to pursue a refund and buy a new monitor. Any suggestions for a good 24" 1920x1200 screen in the £200-300 price range?

Associate
I thought I'd bump this thread instead of making a new one, even though it means the last three posts are mine.

They sent it back today for the third time, over 8 months later. It seems to be working this time. But, it's clearly got a TN panel instead of a PVA. It has to be because even the slightest change of viewing angle results in one half of the screen being darker than the other. From how I'm sitting now the top half of this page is dark blue while the bottom half is a lighter blue.

I mentioned this in the complaint letters I sent to RepairTech and the retailer a couple of weeks ago. Neither of them responded to my complaint letters by the deadline of June 1st I set, but as RepairTech told me it was ready to be delivered I thought I'd let that slide and see if it's fixed.

Now that it appears to be fixed but has an inferior TN panel what should I do now? Should I go back to Consumer Direct and fire off more complaint letters and keep hold of the screen for now? Do that and send the screen back? Or just accept this POS and sell it on eBay and buy a good one?

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
hi seph. sorry to hear of the problems that you are having.

i had the same issues as yourself and they also sent a TN-film rather than a PVA. this was despite me mentioning to them many times it should be a PVA during many telephone calls , i also sent emails saying the same also.

So it would appear that repairtech just put in TN-film panels and either hope that customers dont notice, or get so fed up with 4 month turn arounds that they just put up with it, or they really dont care if customers notice.

Either way it is deception.Repairtechs practices and standards are very low indeed.

Soldato
I thought I'd bump this thread instead of making a new one, even though it means the last three posts are mine.

They sent it back today for the third time, over 8 months later. It seems to be working this time. But, it's clearly got a TN panel instead of a PVA. It has to be because even the slightest change of viewing angle results in one half of the screen being darker than the other. From how I'm sitting now the top half of this page is dark blue while the bottom half is a lighter blue.

I mentioned this in the complaint letters I sent to RepairTech and the retailer a couple of weeks ago. Neither of them responded to my complaint letters by the deadline of June 1st I set, but as RepairTech told me it was ready to be delivered I thought I'd let that slide and see if it's fixed.

Now that it appears to be fixed but has an inferior TN panel what should I do now? Should I go back to Consumer Direct and fire off more complaint letters and keep hold of the screen for now? Do that and send the screen back? Or just accept this POS and sell it on eBay and buy a good one?

Honestly do what I did, sell it and cut your losses, get a Dell or something else with a decent exchange warranty.

After sending mine back many many times I gave up, I'd rather make a bit of a loss on the screen than lose my sanity.

Associate
The system has changed now Nightglow, I went to Trading Standards at first but they referred me straight to Consumer Direct. Seems TS only get involved in the latter stages of complaints now.

How much would I get for this screen if I sold it as a TN? I feel I should push them to fix it but that will be another four months... Even this TN screen has amazing picture quality compared to what my backup screen has so it has been an awful time. I'm a web developer so I can't really make do with a TN with its colour issues.

Dozens of people have had the same problems with this screen and who knows how many others who haven't been so vocal about it. I think RepairTech should be held to account for all this bullcrap. BBC's Watchdog would probably love a story like this, think I'll send them an e-mail.

Back
Top Bottom