Has anyone recovered from mental illness?

Soldato
in a word... no

Some people learn to cope with it, but it never leaves them.
Mostly that's what medication for depression is all about - enabling the sufferer to cope through the worst whilst they learn to manage their condition with stuff like cognitive behavioural therapy. That's when medication should stop - it's a crutch, not a long term panacea to the problem.
Much of the time there's a massive dislocation of responsibility that has to be overcome. But I'll say this: if people don't want to get better, then no amount of help or sympathy will be appreciated, in fact it will often result in them attacking those who try and help - by that I don't necessarily mean a physical assault, but verbal, emotional, psychological aggression directed outwards at anyone but themselves.
But it all depends on the person and the severity of their condition.
Also worth saying; any help on the nhs will take years on a waiting list for diagnosis and treatment, in the mean time medication is given, often long term because there's nothing else available. Unless you can afford private treatment or are deemed a danger to yourself or others you're pretty much left to get on with it.

That is rather subjective and I think it quite fair to say wrong on many accounts. Not to discount your own experience though.

Some mental health diseases can be cured, some can have their symptoms alleviated, some are totally untreatable. Like any other disease. If one was to ask whether anyone had ever recovered from physical trauma a few people would raise an eyebrow - we all know you get over an abrasion and don't do so well with decapitation - to separate mental health disease as being something from physical disease is one of the big hurdles as it is a barrier to not only people accepting that they have something wrong but also how sympathetic society is towards them and also the position, exactness and efficacy of the professionals in that discipline.

Associate
What maustin said, I had a ton of testing done for 'other illnesses'. Brain scans and stuff. They thought I might have temporal (sp?) lobe epilepsy so likely why I had all the scans and stuff. Doubt they'd do that for depression or anxiety.

At the ECT post above. Hope all goes well with your mum. I knew a girl that it basically saved her life, she finally got out of hospital after 2 years after having it. I'm sure you know all about it, so I'll not go on about it.

Cheers man she's doing 'ok' atm, but feel free to share your experiences of your friend having ECT. Mum had one course of it and she was so back to normal it was unbelievable. Unfortunately in her case the effects have lasted barely 7 months.

Will probably post an essay tomorrow, but in all honestly i have never seen a normally sane person become so paranoid and depressed. :/

Associate
Yes, a friend from bipolar.

Myself; depression, ADHD.

Basically using the same principles; understanding nutrition, healing the gut (read 'gut and psychology syndrome' it may change one's view on health), exercise, rest, changing thinking (once the foundations are laid, before it was almost pointless)

It can be cured, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that.

toshj: Sorry to hear about your problems but glad it seems to be going better. :)

Ta :) I firmly the believe the one thing that helped me was that I'm so incredibly stubborn, and as a result I was pretty determined to do it without the aid of medication (also family/friends support was a big factor too). Spent a small fortune getting myself sorted though. Saying that, I completely understand why medication is necessary for people at certain times. Having had a brief glimpse of quite short but severe anxiety, I couldn't even begin to imagine the effects depression can have.

Associate
Cheers man she's doing 'ok' atm, but feel free to share your experiences of your friend having ECT. Mum had one course of it and she was so back to normal it was unbelievable. Unfortunately in her case the effects have lasted barely 7 months.

Will probably post an essay tomorrow, but in all honestly i have never seen a normally sane person become so paranoid and depressed. :/

I haven't spoken to her in years, but she was fine for about a year after that I know about. I only meet her in hospital, and most of the people I meet there I no longer see / talk too. The short term memory loss was fairly bad for her. Others I've meet that had it weren't so bad. I'm not sure why people think it is such a nasty thing, sure they don't know how it works but it can and does.

Soldato
I'm mainly interested in depression or anxiety.
I was diagnosed with depression and an anxiety disorder almost three months ago but I've been living with both for years. I started taking some medication that seemed to really help (took about a month to build up effective levels in my body) but I still have my moments. There are good days and bad.

I'm not sure it will ever completely go away, I think I just have to learn to cope with it.

Soldato
Was diagnosed with depression and went to a psychiatrist for just under a year. Although I wouldn't consider myself depressed atm I do still lapse back into how I was at that time (To a lesser extent but still close), although I always manage to pull through with the help of those close to me.

At the time the main cure was just having someone to be open with about how I felt and why, who didn't judge or make you feel nervous about doing so.

Not sure if I could consider myself recovered or not :/

Soldato
@ maustin

Well, as I said it depends greatly on the individual and the severity of the condition. But it is fair to say most sufferers of clinical depression are never really free from it - it's a part of who they are/become (for many and varied reasons).
The treatment process is just about exactly as I described - merry-go-round of drugs whilst being entered on a very long waiting list.
I should point out that I'm not referring to my own personal experience, but to one who was very dear to me once.

Telling me I'm wrong, then adding the caveat of not 'discounting my own experience' is a view that much of clinical diagnosis has a great deal of trouble with... ie getting the patient the right treatment regime. A matter of opinion that differs from gp to gp and from psychiatrist to psychiatrist. It's a view I don't much care for to be honest.

10 years of living with someone who had (probably still does for all I know) serious clinical depression and going through the trouble of supporting them through the lies, emotional blackmail, madness, highs and lows and effects of the treatments that were successively proscribed, is more than most people ever have to deal with in their own lives, let alone understand fully.
The typical response was 'you don't understand' well, nobody really does, including those who actually suffer from such illnesses and those who attempt to treat it.

Medical treatment is but one tiny step on a very long and difficult road to something that may one day approach what is subjectively referred to as 'normal'.
I stand by what I say as one who has been there and seen it all as close as I ever want to be to it. You cannot just walk away from it in someone you love - you have to watch it destroy that person from within and know that you are utterly powerless to stop it or help in any way that will make any difference. All you can do is watch it happen.

It is a truly frightening and distressing illness for the sufferer and those who are close to them. Many months or even years can elapse with little or no problem whatsoever, but then it can return from out of the blue with no obvious trigger.

The hardest initial stage is admitting that help is needed - it's almost like admitting there's a problem makes the problem real for the first time, allows it to become manifest, as it were. But there's no easy answer or diagnosis, just a succession of small triumphs and failures. Being stubborn and bloody minded and having family and friends to give support can help a great deal, but those things will never remove or change what is wrong inside the persons head, because it's not as simple as re-balancing brain chemistry, it's about changing the way people have learned to think, about themselves and others - in short altering the personality of who they are to allow them to function on their own and independently.
Quite often those who suffer serious clinical depression choose to isolate themselves from all of the things they have difficulty assimilating, in order to achieve a kind of stasis in their own life where they can cope from day to day without the complication of the kind of lives and relationships the rest of us negotiate every day without a second thought as to how we do it.

Some people manage well, others don't.

Of all the illnesses that people can endure, mental illness has the potential to be one of the most unpleasant and painful conditions, because it varies so much between individuals.
I would not wish it upon my worst enemy, not now, not ever.

Soldato
I don't think you ever fully recover from mental illness. Like a wound that's healed, it will leave scar-tissue and a slight discolouration.

I'd like to say I've recovered myself. I can't ever be quite sure though, which is fun. I'm either almost recovered, or a lot worse; it's hard to tell.

I'm the same, it is very hard to tell because a certain situation can kick you back to where you were before. I have social anxiety problems. It's annoying as a lot of people don't understand me. E.g My gym owner blatantly thinks i'm a non talkative up my own arse git when i'm not.

Associate
I'm the same, it is very hard to tell because a certain situation can kick you back to where you were before. I have social anxiety problems. It's annoying as a lot of people don't understand me. E.g My gym owner blatantly thinks i'm a non talkative up my own arse git when i'm not.

or thats what you perceive him as thinking which, is realy the case but then again maybe you are! :S

Associate
This is pretty lame, but I gave myself SAD by being a jobless student/layabout after university ended. I basically never went outside other than at night for about 5 years.

It took me a while to realise why I was so narky and joyless all the time, but eventually I did, and taking vitamin D and calcium in copious amounts, plus a job as a postman with exercise and sunlight, has helped me recover. I still feel a little anxious and irritable some of the time, but I am mostly over it.

Also, Trusty, I can sympathise with you because I have been dealing with social anxiety (mixed with a large dose of misanthropy) since I hit puberty. I also have fairly mild OCD which isn't exactly destroying my life, but it can be awkward trying to hide from people that sometimes you have to stand turning a lightswitch on and off for ten minutes for no logical reason.

Soldato
or thats what you perceive him as thinking which, is realy the case but then again maybe you are! :S

Lol, I'm really not tho, if he was at the desk on his own i would light up a convo with him in no time but it's the fact there's loads of people in the reception area so i just hi and go on my way. I can't help it though, i think a fair deal of it might be low self esteem aswell. It's all linked.

but it can be awkward trying to hide from people that sometimes you have to stand turning a lightswitch on and off for ten minutes for no logical reason.

I used to do that when i was younger...managed to stop it as it was such ridiculous thing to do. Sorry i'm not putting down obviously, well you'll know it's ridiculous yourself won't you? Have you stopped? Did it start out becasue you would say to yourself things like i would die or something if i did'nt turn the light switch on and off??

Last edited:
Associate
I used to do that when i was younger...managed to stop it as it was such ridiculous thing to do. Sorry i'm not putting down obviously, well you'll know it's ridiculous yourself. Have you stopped? Did it start out becasue you would say to yourself i would die or something if i did'nt turn the light switch on and off??

It's not like that unless I am really tired, and it's not like I think there will be any consequences of "not obeying". It's more like I just won't be able to be comfortable afterwards unless I have done it over and over again until it feels right.

Totally irrational and yet totally irresistible at the same time.

Soldato
Has anyone here recovered from mental illness? How much better are you: completely better or are there still some problems? How long did it take you to recover and what was the solution in the end? I'm mainly interested in depression or anxiety.

Thanks.
I am still recovering from a severe anxiety/depression disorder. Its something that has always been with me from an early age, I just managed to get on with it as apposed to letting it overwhelm me. Unfortunately through my mid teens through to my early twenties I found a truly underrated substance known as cannabis, this found a kink in my armour and gradually ground me down to an anxious volatile mess and was in and out of work like a yo yo.

That was almost seven years ago now and with support from my family/friends and a mental health team, I would say that I was 80% better. At rock bottom at the beginning I would barely leave a flat for eight months which almost got me sectioned :o. One major thing I found out though through all of this was who your friends really are!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Has anyone here recovered from mental illness? How much better are you: completely better or are there still some problems? How long did it take you to recover and what was the solution in the end? I'm mainly interested in depression or anxiety.

Thanks.

In practical terms, I have recovered from depression. I noticed a question in another post, so I'll answer that one as well - yes, it was diagnosed by a doctor.

There are still some problems. Maybe not so much problems but the threat of them. It's sort of like getting mauled by a predatory beast and then being able to break free - I'm not being mauled any more but the beast is still following me, waiting for an opportunity. I found myself wanting to huddle in a corner for a while yesterday. That was a charming reminder of the past days I lost doing that. What's different now, though, is that I could see that it was a problem and avoid it with enough effort. In the past, I couldn't do either and I would have gone down hard again.

I'm not sure how long it took me to recover because I'm not sure when it started or when I was recovered enough. I'd say about 10 years to get some help and about a year after that to be recovered enough. It wasn't a one shot deal, though. The doctor taking me seriously started my recovery. The simple message of "You have a medical problem. It is treatable." helped, at least enough to get me to try the treatment.

Plenty of pills next - I was lucky in that the first antidepressant I was prescribed (Venlafaxine) worked without serious side effects. I vividly recall the moment when I realised it was working. I was walking along the pavement. It had been raining a bit. Some oil had been spilled near the gutter. The oil and water made a pattern of reflection and I thought it was pretty.

Therapy next, after the pills had started to work. No go with the first therapist, but the second one was perfect for me. When I ran out of NHS-funded therapy, I borrowed money to pay for more therapy and it was worth every penny.

It's been about 8 years now and I'm still managing well enough. It's not going to be completely gone and I'm still scared of it, but I can go for ages without it coming close and I can deal with it when it does. Although maybe some day in the future I'll miss and that's why I'm scared of it.

Back
Top Bottom