The Official "How Much I Earn/What Job I Do" Information Thread

Soldato
OP
The job sector graph needs improved,not everyone does white coller jobs and having an education level is irrelevant to earning a good salary..:eek:

I didn't do a job sector graph because of the varied amount of industries, It would take forever. What improvements could you suggest? I am happy to improve the reporting if a better way can be suggested :)

/edit as we have proven the education level does not on the whole suggest a good or bad salary range so you are correct :)

Soldato
I didn't do a job sector graph because of the varied amount of industries, It would take forever. What improvements could you suggest? I am happy to improve the reporting if a better way can be suggested :)

/edit as we have proven the education level does not on the whole suggest a good or bad salary range so you are correct :)

The thing that stood out with me goes with when say for example i apply for something that has a drop down menu or applying to a company for whatever,they can never define my work history,i work on the Railways as a trackworker/Linesman with no contract but not self employed either:eek:,they say how much do you earn a month,this can vary a lot in certain months from a grand a week to very little and it stumps them everytime,i dont even have a average yearly salary as it changes so much from year to year.try and explaining that lol;)

alx

alx

Soldato
If you can get it, its normally the case that the closer you are to taking the oil out the ground the more you get paid.

Still as a contractor I will jump to 80-120k/year (before tax etc) so isn't too bad :)

Got an email at work this morning about doing the companies fast track project management course which I think I'll sign up for :)

KaHn

Out of interest is that £1000/day for a pipeline engineer contractor the norm or is it the more extreme end of the range? Didn't realise they got paid so much, but then again a lot of oil & gas contractors are on big money daily wages.

Soldato
Out of interest is that £1000/day for a pipeline engineer contractor the norm or is it the more extreme end of the range? Didn't realise they got paid so much, but then again a lot of oil & gas contractors are on big money daily wages.

If you look on all the job sites it will come with "negotiable rate" which basically means if your good they'll pay you what you want. I'll have a look on another site I use for jobs to try and give you an idea of rates.

KaHn

/edit :- This is a copy/paste from a website I use (subscription so can't link) but that is onshore aswell and a staff position not contract.

ompany : Orion Group
Job Title : Onshore Pipeline Engineer - 61178
Job Information Apply for this job
Post Date : 17 Dec 2010
Start Date : 17 Dec 2010
Industry Sector : Oil & Gas, Pipeline & Piping
Disciplines : Pipeline
Contract Type : Permanent
Salary : US$12000 - US$18000 per month
Job Reference : 61178
Region : Middle East

Job Details
Description : Job Reference: 61178
Onshore Pipeline Engineer
Salary: US$12000 - US$18000 per month + benefits
Job Type: Permanent
Industry: Engineering

Our Client is looking for an Onshore Pipeline Engineer. This is a permanent position, based in Sharjah. As a provider of multi-disciplined technical services, our Client is committed to design excellence in the delivery of first class solutions which combine innovation, imagination and best practice. They require an Onshore Pipeline Engineer to provide expertise on multi-disciplinary Projects. Working in a multi-disciplinary team of Engineers providing a professional design service to our clients, this is a great opportunity for an Engineer to gain additional and more technical exposure within an internationally renowned consultant.

Requirements:
Must have an Engineering Degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent. Substantial experience in the Oil & Gas Industry is necessary, with experience in the Gulf desirable.

Responsibilities:
Front end engineering design, detailed design & engineering of cross country pipelines as per ASME B31.4 and ASME B31.8. Preparation of pipeline route maps, alignment sheets, station approaches, hydrostatic test diagrams, pipeline details and MTO summaries for pipeline projects. Preparation of engineering documents like pipeline design basis, material specifications and requisitions, data sheets, etc. Preparation of pipeline survey scope of work & construction scope of work. Preparing pipe wall thickness calculations, hydro-test pressure calculations, road cross analysis, buoyancy, upheaval buckling, hot tapping calculations, stress and stability analysis. Preparing hydro-testing specification, drying and Pre-commissioning Specification etc. Pig launcher/receiver specifications and general arrangement drawings for the pig trap systems. Off plot design & engineering of flowlines and bulklines. Experience with materials like GRE, DSS and Carbon Steel with internal PE lining, FBE lining , rotolining, coating. Technical bid evaluation/vendor data evaluation of piping/pipeline items like Pig Launcher, Pig Receiver, Pig Signalers, Pipe, Valves, Flanges, Fittings, Isolation Joints, Barred Tees, Corrosion Coupon, Anchor Flanges, Heat Shrink Sleeves etc.. Involved in design review meetings, HAZOP Engineering Interface meetings with other projects. Well conversant with ANSI/ASME B31.3, B31.4, 31.8, API 5L, API 5LC, MSS-SP Standards, ASTM standards, ISO standards, API RP1102, API 6D, API 598, API 600, API 602,NACE MR01-75, DEPs and other relevant International Codes & Standards. Familiar with Quality requirements for site construction activities, WPS/PQR etc. Constructability and EIA reviews. Construction support like attending site queries & site related issues and preparing field change proposals, pipeline laying procedures/method statements.

Salary & Benefits:
A competitive tax free salary for the right candidate. Accommodation allowance provided. Transportation allowance provided. Medical and life insurance cover. 30 calendar days annual leave. Flight allowance provided. End of term benefits.

Last edited:
Soldato
26-30, upper end of salary scale, level 6 education, 60hrs+.

i've certainly realised that earning decent money means sod all. i had was on a pretty strong level by the time i was 23 with a defined career path. before i hit 25 i'd left the firm without a (career) plan simply because i lost sight of social and professional enjoyment (stress!)

Soldato
OP
Sorry to be a pain but just a quick request, to save me having to copy the info into word and remove the line breaks could the single line format please be adhered to? Took me twice as long to copy/paste the information from this thread when i compiled the analysis before :p

Associate
31-35
80001-100k (3yr ave. but will break next bracket for 2010)
IT (Sales)
Level 3
31-40

Single line for analysis
31-35, 80001-100000, IT, Level 3, 31-40

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom