Flash based landscape idea

Associate
I thought I'd asked this a while back and got an answer, but I can't see it anywhere!

I want to scan in about 250 printed images that is basically one long image taken on a main road through a village about 20 years ago

I want something Flash based that allows the images to be stitched together and then scrolled through, can anyone suggest something free that I can use?

Thanks

Caporegime
Well, I don't know about flash but I think you would want to use one of the many panoramric photo stichers to make the base image coherent, photoshop this up nicely and then go from there.

After that you might want to break the photo down again into to separate pieces, the point is the edges will at least join nicely.

Associate
If you don't have Photoshop; then download Microsoft ICE which is free and does the job nicely. As for the scrolling flash etc; you can build that once you have the image.

Soldato
Yeah, I think you'll find that any panoramic viewer will work for you.

The controls might seem a bit wonky but in essence when you "turn" to the left or right, in a panoramic viewer, all you are doing is scrolling along the picture to the left or right. The illusion that you are turning on the spot is because the images you see are of someone turning the camera on a point.

If you were to upload a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong image and scrolled to the left or right it would appear that you were just travelling along the road.

You can test the effect working quite quickly when you've stitched your images together (as described above). If you open up the image as one in photoshop (or even windows built in viewer) and then just scroll the image to the left or right then you will immediately see what it will look like and how it will feel.

Roy

Soldato
Shouldn't be any reason you can't.

You'll honestly be faster downloading one the recommended programs and trying it rather than writing on here and waiting for a response :)

Roy

Associate
I'd be supprised if you can stitch that many together in 1 image sequence. Of course if your thinking of something just thumbnail hight you should be ok.

However if you wish for anything say for example 400 pixels high or above.

The file size will be gargantuan. I wouldnt be supprised if your image editing app throws a wobbler mid way. - you'l need a lot of ram.

From my experience flash does not like large images scrolling from off screen. It turns into a juddery mess even on the highest of spec systems, and you will probabbly hit image width restrictions after maybe 5/6 stiched images. so you will have to create 50 odd satggerd layers of say 5 stiched images triggering off the previous. - all a bit of a fiddly mess. It will still most likely be jerky on playback. and will no doubt not join the seams properly between the transition of layers.

My advise would be to align them using the tools suggested above. or try http://www.ptgui.com/ - You will still probably have todo it all in multiple sections as there is no other obivous way I can see to get around the huge width the final image shall be.

Once the images are aligned, I'd take them into a video editing /composting package and create 1 video of the whole scene scrolling at your preferable smooth rate.

This video file can then easily be made to stream via flash, with a little extra work add a feature so it can be scrubbed/scrolled back and forth at will.

The resulting quality will be a lot higher. Panning images do require a nice smooth playback or they look a it rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom