Why does the earth spin?

Caporegime
Was just asked this by my 5 year old boy, have to say it stumped me!
I know why the moon orbits us and why we orbit the sun, but not why the earth itself spins!

Not often he asks something that has me heading for google but I was surprised (maybe naively) with the reason that was offered, though on reading it it makes sense (let's forget religious beliefs on this one).

Anyone else been stumped by a good question from their kids?

Soldato
Why? Difficult one. Gravitation, though I suspect its a massivly complex and pretty difficult subject, as the sun also spins, the galaxy spins, the galaxies spin around the local group centre, and they are all racing toward some unknown and unseen point.

Soldato
Because there's nothing to stop it. Wiki says:

It is theorized that Earth formed as part of the birth of the Solar System: what eventually became the solar system initially existed as a large, rotating cloud of dust, rocks, and gas. It was composed of hydrogen and helium produced in the Big Bang, as well as heavier elements ejected by supernovas. As this interstellar dust is inhomogeneous, any asymmetry during gravitational accretion results in the angular momentum of the eventual planet.[24] The current rotation period of the Earth is the result of this initial rotation and other factors, including tidal friction and the hypothetical impact of Theia.

Soldato
DOesn't venus spin the wrong way, and very slowly :) a day being longer than a year, thus very bad weather conditions, even if the athmosphere was earth like.

I recall one of Prof Brian Cox's shows on the solar system covering Earth's weather patterns and suggesting without the spin we'd all be buggered.

Caporegime
Content : we have one of those electronic gates at the front of the house. We were in the car outside the house waiting for the gate to open a while back and my wife asked me, "How does the gate open?"
"This remote sends a signal," I replied smugly, with the beeper thing in my hand.
"But then what happens? How does the gate actually open?"
"Well, it's ... hmmm ... electricity?" I replied, less smugly this time.

We then had an argument about something so we never did finish the conversation.

I don't think it's electricity. Does anyone know how they work or do I have to wait until I go home to see what the box on the ground near the gate actually does?

Associate
The bloke on star gazing live explained this and why everything spins in the same direction. All do to with how the planets formed in the first place.

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;18212717 said:
Content : we have one of those electronic gates at the front of the house. We were in the car outside the house waiting for the gate to open a while back and my wife asked me, "How does the gate open?"
"This remote sends a signal," I replied smugly, with the beeper thing in my hand.
"But then what happens? How does the gate actually open?"
"Well, it's ... hmmm ... electricity?" I replied, less smugly this time.

We then had an argument about something so we never did finish the conversation.

I don't think it's electricity. Does anyone know how they work or do I have to wait until I go home to see what the box on the ground near the gate actually does?

Well, unless it's got a diesel generator attached, I'd be pretty sure it's electricity. It'll be a motor that opens the gates, which will be driven electrically from the mains supply.

Back
Top Bottom