• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Woops, just seen GTX 560 release date...

Associate
Hi,

I have just ordered an MSI NGTX460 Hawk for about £160 yesterday, and today i have just seen an article at bit-tech saying that the GTX 560 will most likely have a release date of 25th Jan. I need the card now tbh, as im getting all my build this weekend, and plan to build. SO id have a gpu less pc that cant do anything for over a week - if i waited.

I posting to ask whether, from the potential 15-20% increase, or perhaps 30 some are saying is worth waiting for. As i plan to OC the msi from 810mhz to around 900. And apparently the card will release with custom coolers on debut, and be around £180 - 200 - only 20-40 pound more.

What shall I do?

Soldato
Maybe the 560 will push the 460 prices down a bit. If so, i would pick another 460 up and SLI. If you haven't opened it yet return under DSR and wait - maybe get a dead cheap card to tide you over until then. I wouldn't sell as you won't get a good price for it unless you are lucky.

Associate
OP
So you are saying to keep with the 460, and then pick up another later - or return it when it arrives and wait? Are you saying its worth waiting for the 560? Thnx

Associate
OP
That 5870 looks pretty cheepy, i have seen it before. The 460 i got is good quality.

I want nvidia because i prefer the drivers and Adobe support. Also sli scales better if i ever went and picked up another 460.

Im just not sure wether to wait for 560 and return the 460? And im sure ill get charged for returning it a little - what does DSR cover?

Soldato
what cpu did you order and what games are you thinking of playing cos i've noticed my framerates dropping a bit in starcraft 2 and i think it has something to do with my cpu as i have a dual core i3.

Associate
OP
I bought an i5-2500k, with a p8p67 pro and a gelid tranquillo last night, plus a wifi pcie card.
Going to be playing a lot i hope. Fallout: NV and TF2/L4D2 atm, and perhaps starcraft 2 when i get it. A few 3rdPS like mafia 2 and saints row 2 xD lol.
And then the odd fps like BC:2, call of pripyat ect. (I bought quite abit in the steam sales at christmas, i havent been able to play them yet so im getting pretty restless in waiting lol.

Edit: And obviously the 460 lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
having a quad core cpu will definately help, and my gtx 460 is a 768mb 'cyclone' edition also by msi and it's amazing for overclocking i get ;

core - 900mhz
memory - 2340mhz
shaders - 1800mhz

i could get more on the memory, but that is the highest that afterburner will let me go.
my opinion is if you are able to return it and you are happy to pay a bit more then I say go for it but if not the gtx 460 is still a very good card.

Associate
OP
Edit: (Above) Everyone knows its the 25th now. :)

Gaaaaa. This is so annoying i had no idea that the 560 launch was so soon! I was thinking a couple more months or so, didnt notice much news about it until v.recently.

The card is yet to come, so i can DSR it, has anyone ever had an experience DSRing with competitor by anychance? (Dont know if im allowed to ask that)

its just i really was hoping to have this build done this weekend. Its my first build so ive been really eager to finish it, and i really want to start using it soooon. Why did this have to happen lol, i might have to borrow a spare card of someone for the TWO weeks :(.

Is DRSing usually pretty hectic or easy? Do you still have to pay for postage of it, and i payed for scansure with (whole basket) i doubt they'd pay me for that scan sure percentage also.

Ill give them an email inabit.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oh okay, thanks. I have emailed them anyhow on how i go about it, as their information on site is not very clear IMO.
If its not opened then you can definitely return it yes?

Soldato
Maybe the 560 will push the 460 prices down a bit. If so, i would pick another 460 up and SLI. If you haven't opened it yet return under DSR and wait - maybe get a dead cheap card to tide you over until then. I wouldn't sell as you won't get a good price for it unless you are lucky.

There is no requirement in the DSRs that the product has to be unopened for you to be able to return it. You should by law get the full price of the item and any postage you paid back, the only cost to you will be the returning of the item via the post office etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks a lot Speed, and everyone else, seems I will have to hold off till 560 :(. I think my friends got a spare 4870X2 - i hope i can get that for tomorrow. Should suffice for now :).

Lets play the waiting game...again. Waiting for Sandy's, now 560 - will be so happy once this is done :p

Back
Top Bottom