Exim4 + Mailman help

Soldato
I have a debian box with exim4 and mailman running on a subdomain of my main domain, this handles the mailing lists. I noticed this morning that none of my lists were working and haven't been for a few weeks.

Now I've checked the logs for exim and I'm getting relay rejected:

2011-01-13 12:49:31 H=localhost (host.domain.net) [127.0.0.1] U=list F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: relay not permitted

Unfortunately I don't really know anything about exim and I only really know the admin side of mailman.

Now I read the follow post:

http://forum.froxlor.org/index.php?...figuration-rejected-rcpt-relay-not-permitted/

And I spotted "hostlist relay_from_hosts" so I added 127.0.0.1 and all of a sudden it starts working again, so does this mean its now changed from a multiple config setup to a single one? In which case do I now have to reconfigure the whole damn thing again cause I'm concerned about the default settings.

I also noticed 3 other ip address in the hostlist which I don't recognise so I've removed those for now but I don't get what's happened.

Can anyone help?

Now my log files are empty :/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
"hostlist relay_from_hosts" is just a list of ip / network addresses which exim will accept smtp connections from. it's normal to have 127.0.0.1 in it. The other IP / network addresses could be for your local network so people from other machines from within your network can use the mail server to send mail out mail. But yeah if you don't recognise the addresses in the list you'll probably want to comment them out till you do :)

As for multiple config setup, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The only thing I can think of is the Exim config file allows you can include other files like variables and Debian uses this to break down the original monolithic config file into tons on smaller seperate config files (very annoying imo). Exim's config file has and probably will always be a single file unless you use Debian and it's derivatives.

Soldato
OP
The only thing I can think of is the Exim config file allows you can include other files like variables and Debian uses this to break down the original monolithic config file into tons on smaller seperate config files (very annoying imo). Exim's config file has and probably will always be a single file unless you use Debian and it's derivatives.

I appear to have both of these, the single "monolith" config file (exim4.conf.template) which it is now picking up the configuration from and where I added 127.0.0.1 and removed the 3 rogue IP's, as well as the separate config files (found within conf.d) which I assume it was using before this problem occurred.

What I don't understand is why it has changed.

Soldato
OP
Ok so it isn't fixed, its really weird, some of the lists work some of them do nothing.

I'm getting the following in the logs:

2011-01-18 09:24:59 1Pf7oA-0006Ht-B6 <= [email protected] H=web36802.mail.mud.yahoo.com
2011-01-18 09:25:01 1Pf7oA-0006Ht-B6 => list1 <[email protected]
2011-01-18 09:25:01 1Pf7oA-0006Ht-B6 Completed

so it see's it come in, then it tries to push it out to the list but I'm not getting any further entries as it should then email each individual user from what I can tell.

I'm beginning to get extremely annoyed with this and I might just bin the lot if I had something to switch it over too :\

Qu3

Qu3

Associate
Assuming subdomain.domain.net and host.domain.net refer to the same subdomain? if not it sounds like host.domain.net is not on the accepted domains list for relay..

Just my two cents, I'm not really familiar with Exim

Soldato
OP
Yea they are the same subdomain, sorry I should have written out the log file the same.

Just run some more tests following this blog: http://tperspective.blogspot.com/search/label/mailman

If I run the command:
Code:
exim -d -v [email protected]

I get a "posting held for approval" email so it looks like the list works when using that command, just not when I actually want to email anything to it.

All the other tests in that blog come back as being fine so I don't know wtf is going on :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It seems all the lists are working except a couple, does that sound plausible?

I might try deleting and re-creating them to see if that kicks them in to life.

Back
Top Bottom