Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
OTC and EDL are both medium/long term investments.

EDL pretty much derisked after the last RNS. It found extra deposits and has at least 2.5k coal. Currently drilling and exploring further. Hold 6 licences. I think it is worth monitoring now as a good entry point could come about after a large retrace due to people not being patient and being put off by what was a positive RNS.

OTC, not much to say here other than it should go up 100%+ if the RNS is positive this month. They have over 700k+ ounces of gold confirmed on 1 or 1.5km of a possible 6.5km licence. If the RNS is positive, being anywhere from 1.5+, 2 million ounces expect the price to explode a la condor resources.

MVC also looks good. Keep an eye on BMR too.

Soldato
I have £1000 that has been sitting about for a while and I have nothing constructive to spend it on, I had been thinking of chucking it in with my other savings but I wanted to try and use it to make some money. I had originaly thought about buying and selling a few motors but insurance is prohibitive.

My dad and a few of my friends brought into RBS when it was about 12p and have obviously done quite well. This got me thinking about investing in some shares, I'm not expecting to replicate the results of my friends and dad (although that would be nice) but I don't mind taking a chance to posibly gain some money.
I understand I could loose my Money but with nothing to realy use it for I would probably spend it on useless tat anyway...

What would the best way of investing my money be I.e buy all one stock or spread over a few (safer I assume) what would be a good area to buy in and what is a good place to watch and research potential stocks/shares?

Oh and I have been told and seen in this thread iii are a good broker, is this true?

Associate
iii halifax and all the high street type banks offer share dealing facilities, mostly its what you feel comfortable with and what you can stomach on the charges.

Nobody can really tell you how to invest that cash, if it was me though, i'd go 500 on 2 mining companies (or any other aim listed oil/gas/mineral). Just my 2p !!

Soldato
iii halifax and all the high street type banks offer share dealing facilities, mostly its what you feel comfortable with and what you can stomach on the charges.

Nobody can really tell you how to invest that cash, if it was me though, i'd go 500 on 2 mining companies (or any other aim listed oil/gas/mineral). Just my 2p !!

x2 - split it £500 and £500 for starters. Do your own research and go for it!

i use iii and it's simple and easy to use - £10 a trade.

Soldato
x2 - split it £500 and £500 for starters. Do your own research and go for it!

i use iii and it's simple and easy to use - £10 a trade.

I was recomending iii a couple of pages back due to their low commission rates.
However after putting my money where my mouth is and setting up an account with them, transferring a wedge over ready to invest. It was only then I noticed how crap their software actually was.
Simple yes.. Too bloody simple IMO.
market buy and market sell are about the only "tools" you can use.

The rest of the website is great, some good background info to be had there, but the share dealing side of things... err NO.
Took my money out and went back to TD Waterhouse and £11.50 a trade

Soldato
50 Cent tells his twitter followers to buy penny stock he has a 12% stake in, makes $10 million

"50 Cent, aka Curtis Jackson, added that the 'stock went from 5cent to 10 in one day. You can double your money right now. Just get what you can afford.'"

50 Cent owns. I remember seeing the tweet at the time and thinking it was a bit off and all his retweets from his followers jumping on. Can he get in trouble for that? The tweets are now deleted and he has since gone a bit sheepish on the subject.

Caporegime
50 Cent tells his twitter followers to buy penny stock he has a 12% stake in, makes $10 million

"50 Cent, aka Curtis Jackson, added that the 'stock went from 5cent to 10 in one day. You can double your money right now. Just get what you can afford.'"

50 Cent owns. I remember seeing the tweet at the time and thinking it was a bit off and all his retweets from his followers jumping on. Can he get in trouble for that? The tweets are now deleted and he has since gone a bit sheepish on the subject.

If true then yes he can potentially get into trouble for that.

Soldato
I dont think so because he has no material gain from promoting the ownership of the share.
Who is to say its not a fair opinion. Everyone here knows you've made no money till you actually sell so all the reports are incorrect

If he now sells all his shares after saying its a good company to own. That is very suspect plus also means he has benefited from his actions.
Even then he has no privileged information so may still get off, people like Martha Stewart were basically insider dealing I think

I dont see he has done anything worse then a footie club selling or promoting their stock.
Santander promote their own stock to their customers. I think its worth having

Thats a nice recovery in BP . I had thought 510 could be a top for them but no sell off in general occurring right now.
The NYSE ADR shows its breaking out
Ive sold all mine now, generally Ive been scaling out of big companies into the smaller explorers with growth potential

I purchased the Junior Oils fund. Biggest holding is Caza, premier and encore. I presume our still weak pound helps the uk oil industry.
For all the new people asking, I think its fair to say a managed fund should be less risky way of being involved in prospects commonly mentioned on these pages

Quick thoughts on RRL based on volume data. 6.5 should be good support, draw a line across any RRL chart and it was a top for a while.
Near term last 10 days, about 8p is a point I'd like kept to maintain gains.
200 day average is 5.59 and I'd like to buy anywhere close to that

Also very impressive BARC gains recently. Its amazing how it swings from doom to boom
Ive sold off a fair bit of what I bought in December and I'll hold the more expensive stock I bought a bit too early
a lot like BP I still think its good value but I wouldnt call it an easy choice for a gain now

Caporegime
I dont think so because he has no material gain from promoting the ownership of the share.

erm yes he does - encouraging people to buy and ramping up the price (which is what happened 10 cents to 39 cents) - his holding is now worth a fair bit more....

Who is to say its not a fair opinion.

"You can double your money right now. Just get what you can afford,"

Its called market manipulation and yes people can get into trouble for it - what he has done is very dubious and there is a reasonable chance he could get into trouble, it will certainly be investigated. FWIW some of the tweets were subsequently deleted - if what he did was perfectly fine then why do you suppose that happened?

Soldato
His holding is only worth what he can sell it for and that is yet to be proved. The liquidity of that stock I doubt could handle him selling millions of shares and not go down whilst he was doing that.
Ive never been fortunate enough to be in that position but its much easier on small penny stocks to exceed the markets ability to cash you out (without losing money via a share price fall, ie. he isnt that much richer).

So has he gained any cash yet, no and he wont till he sells afaik. Its an interesting case I guess, but can someone be sued because maybe they wrong surely we have to wait to see if thats true or not. Sure it looks dubious and Im no fan or anything

Stocks get promoted all the time, usually a bit more subtle but how many times did the banks say in 2008 we are fine and everything will be ok.
Totally wrong as it turns out and pretty self motivated as they were selling more shares into the market at the time via Rights issue.
Bradford and Bingley went bust 3 months after selling stocks to a lot of private investors. Thats extremely unfair but I dont see anyone getting sued for that.

On the other hand Barclays issued at 280 and right now those people are in the money, neither was at fault in that moment apparently

The crime your talking about does happen. The guy in this video, plump german tech kid ramped his own shares and dumped the stock. He was prosecuted and fined like 200k and he drives a 80k Merc now because his profits were 5x the fine apparently. I dont have the name just now sorry.

Till 50p dumps his shares Im not certain he did much wrong. Free market has no fixed prices, everythings possible and till events unfold to show obvious malacious intent I dont see the guilt.
Maybe the law being held up is that no one should express an opinion on stocks. I do that everyday, I believe there is FSA guidelines on giving investment advice but it would have to be for some profit I think. So like giving driving lessons, its ok if you dont take money for it?

Just remembered, Piers morgan was partly involved in this. His paper ramped then dumped stocks and it was a crime there because they were deliberately paying themselves off like that.

On the other hand I read stock tips in newspapers all the time and sometimes the guy who tips it also owns it. Grey area maybe but legal to do afaik

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10973104/50-cent-twitter-stocks-pump-hip-hops-power.html

Planning to sell DRAX and buy GPX tomorrow I think, both referenced by questor. One is the uk largest coal fired power station, the other is oil explorer partly in an iraq flare off deal

Last edited:
Caporegime
His holding is only worth what he can sell it for and that is yet to be proved.

Well while he won't get the current price for his stock he has benefited - should he choose to sell them now he should fetch a higher price.

Till 50p dumps his shares Im not certain he did much wrong. Free market has no fixed prices, everythings possible and till events unfold to show obvious malacious intent I dont see the guilt.

I'm not sure of the rules in the US but giving investment advice would get you into trouble over here - depends how much they want to argue things like "You can double your money right now. Just get what you can afford," constitutes advice. Its not a simple as saying 'I believe X is a strong company DYOR....'... mentioning that you believe a stock will do well is one thing, advising people to invest all their money into a stock is a bit different.

But yes the market manipulation thing would probably only apply if he had then sold his shares after recommending everyone buy them. I'd suspect the SEC will be looking into that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom