Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Gave up getting PS3MediaServer to transcode on the fly so I went out and bought a PlayOn Mini HD. Works perfectly!

Fully fledged NAS, automatic downloader and stream any content for under £200 excluding HDDs, not bad!

Associate
I have bought a HP Microserver instead of a dedicated NAS box. Main purpose is to stream movies to Samsung TV's and to work as a Squezzebox server.

Initially installed Ubuntu. Was working ok, but I couldn't find a DLNA server that could stream subtitles to the Samsung TV's, which is a must. And with absoulte no Linux knowledge I siwtched to Windows 7 pro, where Samsungs own DLNA server runs fine.

However, under Windows 7 I can't get the System in Sleep mode (Sleep is not available). I tried different Display drivers and different BIOS settings but with no luck.

Running Powercfg rgives the following output:

powercfg -AVAILABLESLEEPSTATES
The following sleep states are available on this system: Hibernate
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
Standby (S2)
Standby (S3)
Hybrid Sleep

Does anybody have a Windows 7 system with Sleep enabled on a Microserver?

Another question, what is the maximum screen resolution? I have only been able to get 1600x1200 (both Ubuntu and Windows 7)?

/MF

Last edited:
Associate
Does sound like it's a problem with the box, how much RAM do you have installed? Also what OS are you running?

Its got 4gb of RAM and 4x 2tb drives with 3 of them in RAID1 (where the movies are) in Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit.

Did some tests this morning, nothing comprehensive just with task manager. Ill break out perf mon later I think.

Anyhow...

AirVideo - Basically depending on the content it will peg both CPU cores at 100% when transcoding which is likely the reason for the buffering etc. Ive found however it does depend on the content, as AVI's, MKV's and MP4 files all have different behaviours i.e 100%, 75% and 1% respectively. Looks like Air Video has different code paths for different content, makes sense. Surprised MP4 just streams with no transcode; I guess Ipad supports it natively. I'm going to try varying bit rates next and see if that works better, but it seems like on the fly transcode doesnt have the necessary horsepower.

SMB Streaming - Very unscientific but with just streaming a file through SMB/CIFS through to a Zotac Zbox running XBMC Live 10.0 the little box is not even breaking a sweat, and barely registering any CPU activity which is good if a little unsurprising. The glitches im getting in XBMX (buffering) will require more investigation. Im going to break out perfmon and look at the disks next, but to be honest I cant see it being that unless Windows is doing something cack with that RAID array.

FYI, Im also running tonkymedia server for MP3 serving and it works great to a streaming capable tuner/dock I have.

Associate
I seem to have a problem installing Windows Server R2, have the 160GB connected to the second SATA port, detected in BIOS. Tried mode RAID, IDE and AHCI.

Not created a RAID for the 2 x 2TB drives, trying to install Windows to the 160GB and it says Windows can't install to the selected location. Everything seems be connected up right.

Also tried the SATA drivers (AMD website)

The on-baord SATA port is connected to the embedded IDE controller via a bridge. Changing the IDE/AHCI/RAID settings will have no effect.

I installed Win2K8 R2 64-bit (from USB Flash) onto the 160Gb drive, connected to the SATA port and mounted in the ODD bay without issue.

Have you checked that your SATA cable is OK? The location of the SATA connector means that there may be some sideways force applied to the cable - i've seen cheap SATA cables loose connection and the plug fracture in this type of situation.

Paul.

Soldato
The on-baord SATA port is connected to the embedded IDE controller via a bridge. Changing the IDE/AHCI/RAID settings will have no effect.

I installed Win2K8 R2 64-bit (from USB Flash) onto the 160Gb drive, connected to the SATA port and mounted in the ODD bay without issue.

Have you checked that your SATA cable is OK? The location of the SATA connector means that there may be some sideways force applied to the cable - i've seen cheap SATA cables loose connection and the plug fracture in this type of situation.

Paul.

Gotta agree, the CD/DVD SATA port doesn't have a lot of room above it so you either need a very flexible cable with minimal plastic around the connector on the cable so that you can then bend the cable or you really need a right angled cable, which is what I have done.

Soldato
Its got 4gb of RAM and 4x 2tb drives with 3 of them in RAID1 (where the movies are) in Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit.

Did some tests this morning, nothing comprehensive just with task manager. Ill break out perf mon later I think.

Anyhow...

AirVideo - Basically depending on the content it will peg both CPU cores at 100% when transcoding which is likely the reason for the buffering etc. Ive found however it does depend on the content, as AVI's, MKV's and MP4 files all have different behaviours i.e 100%, 75% and 1% respectively. Looks like Air Video has different code paths for different content, makes sense. Surprised MP4 just streams with no transcode; I guess Ipad supports it natively. I'm going to try varying bit rates next and see if that works better, but it seems like on the fly transcode doesnt have the necessary horsepower.

SMB Streaming - Very unscientific but with just streaming a file through SMB/CIFS through to a Zotac Zbox running XBMC Live 10.0 the little box is not even breaking a sweat, and barely registering any CPU activity which is good if a little unsurprising. The glitches im getting in XBMX (buffering) will require more investigation. Im going to break out perfmon and look at the disks next, but to be honest I cant see it being that unless Windows is doing something cack with that RAID array.

FYI, Im also running tonkymedia server for MP3 serving and it works great to a streaming capable tuner/dock I have.

Hmmm, can't really help but I'm using W7 Pro X64, only have 1gb of RAM at the mo, should have 4gb on Mon/Tues, I have the 160gb HDD connected to the CD/DVD as the OS drive and then have 4 x 500gb drives running in AHCI mode, so no RAID. I noticed a problem with the AMD AHCI/RAID driver in that they are crap.

I initially had my system setup as RAID but with the AMD drivers installed I was only getting around 10MB/s from the drives, so I'm now running in AHCI mode using the MS drivers that come with W7 and disk throughput is now at around 60-70mbs. I'm using PS3 Media Server and my son hasn't had any problems streaming films, pictures and music to his iPhone.

EDIT: Just spoken to my son and he's just said that he's only able to stream normal DVD quality stuff, anything else like 720p and he gets stuttering.

Last edited:
Associate
Running Powercfg rgives the following output:

powercfg -AVAILABLESLEEPSTATES
The following sleep states are available on this system: Hibernate
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
Standby (S2)
Standby (S3)
Hybrid Sleep

Does anybody have a Windows 7 system with Sleep enabled on a Microserver?

Another question, what is the maximum screen resolution? I have only been able to get 1600x1200 (both Ubuntu and Windows 7)?

/MF
Same for me no sleep mode and no way of timing wake ups within the bios :(

Screen res i'm running 1920 x 1200 in Server 2008 R2.

Associate
Initially installed Ubuntu. Was working ok, but I couldn't find a DLNA server that could stream subtitles to the Samsung TV's, which is a must.

If you're thinking of going back to Ubuntu then MiniDLNA will sort you out for your DLNA needs. It's very small, fast and lightweight (it's written for the ReadyNAS products but made available to all). I'm using it on my Ubuntu 10.10 setup and it runs like a dream serving files to my WD TV Live.

Associate
I initially had my system setup as RAID but with the AMD drivers installed I was only getting around 10MB/s from the drives, so I'm now running in AHCI mode using the MS drivers that come with W7 and disk throughput is now at around 60-70mbs.

I'm glad you've had the same experience of this. I've spent the last two weeks trying to get a decent speed out of the RAID controller (averaging 23mb/s) and it's unusable. Think I'll break the RAID1 array and go back to AHCI or even IDE as I've read that gives better performance!

Soldato
I sent mine off on Thursday 13th Jan and still not heard back. Going to send them an email later today...

The promotion terms do state that if you've not had a reply after 7 days then you should contact them.

Thanks guys, will give them a few more days to make sure the full 7 have elapsed and then drop them a line, not too worried as I still have a copy of the invoice and time on my side.

Now I just need to convince myself that those smasung F4's on this week only are two good to resist!

Associate
Has anyone had any issues swapping RAM ? Since changing to a 2GB stick of none ECC I'm finding I have random crashes. The RAM's passed two iterations of the Windows Server version of memtest(is this any good?) but I'll keep testing it over night.

Associate
Has anyone had any issues swapping RAM ? Since changing to a 2GB stick of none ECC I'm finding I have random crashes. The RAM's passed two iterations of the Windows Server version of memtest(is this any good?) but I'll keep testing it over night.
No problems here upgrading to non-ecc Crucial ram, os = Server 2008 R2. Spent the past 3 days creating a 8tb raid 5 array and copying about 4tb to it without issue.

Back
Top Bottom