• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A non "K" i5

Associate
Has anyone dropped a non "K" i5 processor into a P67 motherboard and just run it at stock speed ? ie 2300, 2400 or 2500

If so have you had any problems, or is it running smooth ?

Associate
I put together a PC at work with a 2400 in a H67 motherboard (ASUS P8H67 Pro) and it works fine . Not quite what you asked for I know. But there is no reason I can think of why any sandy bridge processor should fail to work in a P67 motherboard. Unless you are expecting to make use of the integrated graphics.

Associate
In all honesty, I would question anyone who would buy a P67 Motherboard with a non K processor, especially just to run it at stock. That said, as Gharris stated, I don't see why they wouldn't work just fine.

Soldato
In all honesty, I would question anyone who would buy a P67 Motherboard with a non K processor, especially just to run it at stock. That said, as Gharris stated, I don't see why they wouldn't work just fine.

Possibly because you don't care about overclocking and want to save a few pennies on the processor but need a P67 motherboard because you want to run SLI or Crossfire more efficiently?

Caporegime
Would you mind explaining what you mean by that please? :)

Not really sure why they've killed overclocking yet allowed a little tweaking and I don't know the exact specifics but.

Say you've got a 3.5Ghz processor that does 3.9/3.8/3.7/3.6Ghz in turbo on 1/2/3/4 cores respectively(as it overclocks further with less cores).

You can tweak turbo for some reason so it will run at say 4.2/4.1/4.0/3.9Ghz instead. You can essentially turn Turbo up a few notches from stock, not entirely sure why they put the option in but there you go.

But its still limited to turbo and won't make much difference when all four cores are loaded. So its miles away from whacking a 3.5Ghz processor to 4.5Ghz and running all 4 cores at that speed while playing Crysis, its better than nothing though.

Associate
Not really sure why they've killed overclocking yet allowed a little tweaking and I don't know the exact specifics but.

Say you've got a 3.5Ghz processor that does 3.9/3.8/3.7/3.6Ghz in turbo on 1/2/3/4 cores respectively(as it overclocks further with less cores).

You can tweak turbo for some reason so it will run at say 4.2/4.1/4.0/3.9Ghz instead. You can essentially turn Turbo up a few notches from stock, not entirely sure why they put the option in but there you go.

But its still limited to turbo and won't make much difference when all four cores are loaded. So its miles away from whacking a 3.5Ghz processor to 4.5Ghz and running all 4 cores at that speed while playing Crysis, its better than nothing though.
Thanks for the explanation - appreciated :cool:

Associate
I'll just add that on the partially unlocked SKUs that you can add 4 to the turbo multi for each set of conditions
Cheers
icon14.gif

Associate

Anyone who cares about Virtual boxes (which is quite a few these days) if you run a virtual machine for whatever reason you should stay away from the 'K'. Does not support Vandpool so I have heard.

Intel's way imo of making sure small business don't get performance on the overclockable cheap.

Back
Top Bottom