• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What was your first ever CPU?

Associate
386DX 40 - cost about £999. Returned after a couple of weeks (had a 30 day money back guarantee) and later bought a 486SX 25 from the ill-fated Olympic Technologies.

Last edited:
Associate
An Olivetti Pentium 266 MMX with 16Mb of ram iirc, 2Gb hard drive, state of the art at the time and cost £1600.:eek:
Could play Dungeon Keeper and Simcopter wonderfully.:p

First ever computer was a ZX81, bought new for £49 from WHSmiths.

Associate
I remember buying my first ever PC back in 1993, it was a 486 DX2-66 and i clearly remember parting with the best part of a grand so I could just play Doom shareware on my computer because at that time there was nothing else like Doom on any system. 4MB RAM, 1MB Cirrus Logic video card, Soundblaster 16, Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS and a 14" VGA monitor - and the new wave of games coming out on CD with in-game video! Good times indeed!

I also remember the bloke behind me buyind the brand new Intel Pentium I P60 system which from memory wasn't that much faster than the DX2-66 and he paid over £2000 for it!

I wonder have things really changed all that much in us wanting the best asap and willing to pay for it, regardless of if there's not such a huge difference in what you realistically get for the price? I think not - all that's happened is the cost of the components has gone down in price and we are all so much more reliant on needing home computers now than we were nearly twenty years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
First PC in the house when I was little was an Amstrad PC-1512 with an 8mhz Intel 8086 CPU.

First PC I owned was An IBM Aptiva E35 with AMD K6-2 300MHz that I got up to 333MHz as my first overclock.

First standalone CPU I bought was an AMD K6-2 550MHz as an upgrade to the above.

My first full PC build had an Athlon XP 2400+ thoroughbred in it.

Associate
Too young to remember what I had in my first Compaq. My Dell when I was a teen had a 800mhz cpu. Remember when 40gigs hd and 512mb ram were huge amounts? God, I don't know what components will be like when we start belittling 1tbs.

Associate
First PC we had in the house was a laptop with a 386 CPU (cant remember the speed) which had a mono screen.

First PC I got had a 486 SX 25, which was clocked to 33Mhz by the manufacturer! For a long time I thought it was a 33 till I tried to upgrade it to a DX4 100Mhz and read the top of the cpu. Back in the day when 4Mb of ram was £150

Associate
BBC 32k
Amiga 512k (with a 40 mb hdd... 40!!!!)

Then in PCs:
386 4mb ram
Pentium 100mhz 24 MB ram (it was the beast at the time!)
Pentium 1 ghz dual
Celeron 1.4 ghz laptop
Q6700 at 3.4 ghz - current

Funnily enough, winUAE is one of my most used apps....

Back
Top Bottom