When are we going to see cheap (£200) 1Tb SSD's?? Any time in the next 5 years do you think?

Associate
Hey,

Not for a long while now, companies who manfacture hard drives at present don't want to have excess production capacity or stock at hand when technology goes obsolete. SSD's are still advancing. Now the SSD is an expensive item, is hasn't moved into the 'oh yes we all have one' ... Being in an economic situation we are in manufacturers have been a bit weary about investing into SSD manufacturing capacity. So the question is asked, if everything these manufacturers are making are flying off the shelves, why should the price come down untill they can build enough to cover the demand..

So, it'll be a few years untill we see the emergence of such a price drop, but all in all, our current hardrives are holding out well enough..

Hope this was informative

Associate
Dosnt Apple with its use of memory chips for its products have a hand in the supply demand price and thus we now have memory prices on the rise after they mopped up a lot of ram chips for the macbookair and iPad2. I suspect prices will drop soon.

Associate
As far as i'm concerned, we don't need large scale SSD's, we have normal hard-drives for storge and games, for me, the main reason for using an SSD is for speeding up windows operartions with regards to loading applications ect. I would much prefer to see faster and faster SSD's released, with the capacity to hold my OS and applications, so 256gb is enough... :)

Soldato
I don't think we'll see 20p/GB SSD's until Racetrack Memory is market ready. NAND is reaching the limits of electron containment, as it gets smaller cell write lifespans dramatically decrease, I don't think we'll get more than one more generation of it out after 25nm.
There really isn't a pressing need for 1TB SSD's anyway. Media files are the primary space hogs, and they are fine on Mechanical drives. 60GB is plenty for an OS and apps, and are already affordable (~£90 is good value considering the benefits they bring for OS/App usage). Anything bigger is just to store games on, and gamers are no strangers to paying a bit extra for better kit. Even then if prepared to do a bit of management it's perfectly possible for a gamer (even with a large Steam directory) to get by on a drive <100GB, simply involves a bit of symlinking and copying game directories between an SSD and your bulk storage.

Last edited:
Permabanned
5 years used to be a long time in terms of high end builds but nowadays everything seems to have settled (in comparison to 10+ years ago).

I don't see why we won't see price drops that make them the default choice (LCD monitors took no longer than this) but i would imagine it will be when adoption rates start to pick up i.e. when PC world and its ilk start putting them in most of their pre built systems.

Back
Top Bottom