Clio or Punto?!

Soldato
Hi guys, i'm 21 years old, passed my test last year around July time.

I currently 'share' my brothers old school vauxhall Corsa, 4 gears and no power steering! Immense ha but i'm fed up with the sharing now, because he brought it so he has obvious priority over use on it, and he works odd hours so i never get the car to go work rare occasion he leaves it at home for me to use etc etc.

Now basically, i'm going to get a £1,000 loan for car and insurance.

I've compared a lot of cars for the lowest insurance cost, and the lowest i seem to be getting at £1,600-1,700 is between the clio and the fiat punto, the newest shapes im sure.

I can get both cars for about £700ish which isn't too bad.

Just wanted some opinions on either cars really, im leaning towards the clio?

Caporegime

I currently 'share' my brothers old school vauxhall Corsa, 4 gears and no power steering! Immense ha but i'm fed up with the sharing now, because he brought it so he has obvious priority over use on it, and he works odd hours so i never get the car to go work rare occasion he leaves it at home for me to use etc etc.

I've compared a lot of cars for the lowest insurance cost, and the lowest i seem to be getting at £1,600-1,700 is between the clio and the fiat punto, the newest shapes im sure.

Huh? you wont get a new shape one of either for £700. Unless i'm not understanding something right?

So what is your total budget?

Soldato
That Punto you linked to is the Mk2.

Stay away from the Sporting if it's a first car, nothing 'Sporting' about it apart from alloys. Aim for an ELX with the 1.2 8v FIRE engine. Should pick up a decent one for about £900.

FSH is what I would look for, no warning lights on the dash lit up and that belts and the water pump have been done when they should have been.

Clutch should feel really light and the steering is electric so make sure it feels nice and doesn't make any odd noises.

My parents owned a 2000 ELX Punto from new till 2006ish when I bought it off them, I ran it till Dec 2008 and in the 9 years we owned the car as a family we didn't have a single thing go wrong. Only spending money to service the car once a year.

My personal experience with that model of Clio is terrible, everyone I know who owns one has had massive problems.

PS - The Punto you want ran from 2000 till 2006 and was replaced by the Fiat Grande Punto and then facelifted to the Fiat Punto Evo. The one you want is the MK2 but it is not the newest.

The Clio your looking at is a MK2 and ran from something like 1998 to 2005 (being facelifted in 2001 I think) before being replaced by (in my opinion) the equally as bad MK3 Clio which is still the current model.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok you've swayed me to the Punto, aslong as i can shove in a stereo that will play my ipod i am a happy chap!

Just gunna hunt for one not to far from me and in a good price range now.

Shall head to the bank in the week and grab a loan! :p

Soldato
I put a £100 Alphine stereo into my Punto myself (first car, 17 was able to install myself without any help) with an iPod lead and kept the iPod connected up all the time in the glove box.

I sold my 2000 MK2 ELX with 60k on the clock and FSH in 2008 for £1250 so I'd expect to pay between £750-£1000 for a 'good' 2000-2001 model now.

No idea why either but at 17 my insurance in my own name was £700 and when I came to sell it at 19 I was only paying £450 for it, fully comp.

Permabanned
I'd take a clio over a punto.

I dislike them both but by god puntos are crap. I've only been in a mk1 mind. So maybe they improved. Hideously tall looking either which way.

Dare I say micra? IG 3-5

Both the clio and the mk2 punto will be probably 5-7.

Micra tyres should be the cheapest.

It should come with five gears and power steering for that money. Looks fugly but they are good little run arounds.

Just thought I'd be different :p

Permabanned
looking for my brothers fince's first car got her mk 2 punto elx for £800 she got a 62k mile 52 reg in mint condition with service history

cracking vfm imo

Associate
This year i went with admiral for £1100... Monthly would have come to £1500 as they wouldn't honor any discounts the could give me, and obviously interest.

Soldato
This year i went with admiral for £1100... Monthly would have come to £1500 as they wouldn't honor any discounts the could give me, and obviously interest.

Not saying you cant do it...but who knows, op could crash (sorry...) and then insurance next year could and would be higher so then what? Another loan?

Personally I'd wait till you have the funds available then take out loans...

Just sounds like it could all end in tears if you ask me. :(

Soldato

I was in the exact same position as you years ago in terms of car choice and insurance. I decided that the best bang for buck was the 1.4 Clio.

Soldato
Not saying you cant do it...but who knows, op could crash (sorry...) and then insurance next year could and would be higher so then what? Another loan?

Personally I'd wait till you have the funds available then take out loans...

Just sounds like it could all end in tears if you ask me. :(

Yes but paying insurance monthly is just finance or a loan. Even if you cancel the policy you will still have to pay most of it.

I suspect lots of younger drivers on here have to pay there premiums this way because of the high prices.

Associate
I can't recommend a punto tbh, I had one and it cost far too much to put right, oil leaks, HGF, clutch, gearbox, steering. Never driven a clio so can't comment.

Soldato
OP
The loan is the car and most of the first months insurance. I'm going new York in April so need all my money for that!

Clio looks better in my opinion but there's something about the mk2?! Need a car that's good with the ladies too ha :p

Caporegime
The loan is the car and most of the first months insurance. I'm going new York in April so need all my money for that!

Clio looks better in my opinion but there's something about the mk2?! Need a car that's good with the ladies too ha :p

Neither of those will be good with the ladies..:p

Well, it depends on what sort of 'ladies'

Back
Top Bottom