Divorce questions

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Pretty sure a handful of people have experience this, just wanted some advice as something is rather unclear.

These "Quick Divorce" websites say they are about £69. £79, £89, £99, etc, yet I thought that a standard divorce payment, to the court, was £300.

Does this mean that they handle the consultation between the 2 parties (at a cost of £##) and you're still required to pay the £300 for the actual divorce through the courts?

Likewise, if I wanted to handle the divorce myself (with no solicitor), I believe I need something called a D8 form.

Where do I get this, and at what point do I pay for the actual divorce? At the start (does the D8 technically cost £300), when I send it off to the court, when the divorce is over?

Could basically do with a handful of step-by-step guide as to what to do, how much it will cost WITHOUT solicitors.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
slightly off topic but is it not worth going though a solicitor incase things get messy even if it is a few years down the line?

I don't see how it could get messy - far too many reasons to explain why but there's no children involved and neither of us are going after assets.

Soldato
Could basically do with a handful of step-by-step guide as to what to do, how much it will cost WITHOUT solicitors.

I think it depends on the reasons for divorce, if both parties agree to the grounds for the divorce and you've been seperated for 2 years minimum with no assets or kids to argue about then the courts may not have to get involved, or a solicitor for that matter.

Gonna keep an eye on this thread although my situation is a damn sight more complicated :)

Soldato
Pretty sure a handful of people have experience this, just wanted some advice as something is rather unclear.

These "Quick Divorce" websites say they are about £69. £79, £89, £99, etc, yet I thought that a standard divorce payment, to the court, was £300.

Does this mean that they handle the consultation between the 2 parties (at a cost of £##) and you're still required to pay the £300 for the actual divorce through the courts?

Likewise, if I wanted to handle the divorce myself (with no solicitor), I believe I need something called a D8 form.

Where do I get this, and at what point do I pay for the actual divorce? At the start (does the D8 technically cost £300), when I send it off to the court, when the divorce is over?

You still have to pay the court fee's, I got rid of my psycho ex-wife many years back and used http://www.divorce-online.co.uk/ and they were excellent, got a far better service from them than I would have done by visiting a solicitor in person.

Man of Honour
Having had experience in these matters on one occasion (and hopefully only the once) don't skimp on a decent solicitor. Most costs are incurred because couples can't decide who gets possession of their ageing 7" record collection. If you can work things out amicably then there's no reason this can't be done cheaply.

If you have kids, then you def need a solicitor. They can tie up so many loopholes that a quick intenet web service wouldn't

Last edited:

~J~

~J~

Soldato
OP
You still have to pay the court fee's, I got rid of my psycho ex-wife many years back and used http://www.divorce-online.co.uk/ and they were excellent, got a far better service from them than I would have done by visiting a solicitor in person.

That's exactly what I was after, thank you.

Not ONE of them I've phoned have given me a straight answer as to whether I have to pay x-amount to them and that's it, or x-amount to them AND the court fees.

Thank you for that.

Soldato
Deffinately get a solicitor no matter how freindly you are with your partner. Mine was all happy at first then it went mental and with solicitors fee,s and payments it cost me just over £25k to get divorced. It would have been cheaper if I had got a solicitor from the start.

Soldato
I am intrested in this also, I have split with my ex wife and Im moving on. We have no kids or assets to speak of, so I was just gonna save up the £400 i was told, and get it done in court quick as pos. Keep us updated on this please, and thanks for that web site as well.

Soldato

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Always go and see a solicitor, she may be amicable now but she will have friends who will tell her to screw you for every penny she can get. Women never forget every slight you have made, next thing you know she will be a bitter and twisted women who can only remember the last time you left the toilet seat up!

Back
Top Bottom