Anyone know of any RTS games similar to Age of Empires III?

Associate
Hey everyone,

I've just been watching my mate play the old Rome: Total War.
I really need to get back into some nice RTS games set in the 16/17/18th century...

I remember playing Cossacks EU Wars, and Age of Empires 3 but they all seem really dated now with poor graphics and stuff.
Anyone know of any newer releases of games of similar type I can play my heart out to? Also do big LAN parties as well, so it would be awesome.

As many recommendations as you guys can please!

Soldato
Like AOE3?...

Try Age of Mythology. It's like a cross between AOE 2 and 3. With different things.

Also AOE3 isn't really dated graphics. AOM is more dated really, so...

Associate
OP
This and try Napoleon Total War

Epic Games although rather graphics heavy.

My PC can handle it, I've seen Empire: Total War, but is there any structure building and upgrades things like that?
I've only ever seen people placing lots of units on a large field and playing for about an half an hour just moving things until they win/lose...

Also Niel79, It looks ANCIENT! D:

Associate
These types of games just don't seem to be released anymore. Every new RTS game that comes out seems to want to push some 'new formula' and it drives me crazy! DOW2, World in Conflict, RUSE... no thanks, give me another Red Alert or Starcraft any day. even AOE3 was a step backwards from its predecessor. The Total War games also bore the crap out of me.

I'll second Age of Mythology though, its a great game and the graphics still look half decent today... but then again if you think AOE3 looks bad then you probably won't be able to handle it.

Black & White 2 is another good one but it doesn't really have a historical context as such... I guess it'd be the Greeks but you play as God and build huge towns and train armies with some basic economy management involved. The fighting's very basic so no LAN or anything but the game itself is a laugh and eats up time. The graphics are also awesome.

Last edited:
Soldato
Funny this should come up. I just start playing AOM again a couple of days ago. Brilliant game, and great memories from it. Not really into RTM's that much and haven't played any since AOM but had a craving to play it :D
If you don't mind the graphics (which isn't all that bad) I'd suggest having a go at it. :)

Associate
Age of Empires 3 is the only AAA strategy game ever created.
It's a graphically and historically detailed game. Every unit including animals, fish and whales has a lengthy in-game description. The 13 playable european/asian/indian nations all have different strengths and weaknesses while still being balanced in power. No other RTS has the same level of resource-management, historical accuracy and refinement.

It is likely Age of Empires IV won't be coming anytime soon. The decline of PC gaming and the shift in the MS gaming division towards the XBox are likely factors. Age of Empires games are very costly to make and maintain. AoE3 would never work on a console as it runs on a single CPU core and requires a high level of intellect to compete online (implying most console gamers are not so bright).

Notes:
Cossacks/Art of War/American Conquest was brilliant, while it lasted, dated now and interface is crude.
Empire Earth was decent, sequels worse than awful
Empire:Total War isn't an RTS, it's turn-based and theres no resource-management, only city management

Last edited:
Associate
Notes:
Cossacks/Art of War/American Conquest was brilliant, while it lasted, dated now and interface is crude.
Empire Earth was decent, sequels worse than awful
Empire:Total War isn't an RTS, it's turn-based and theres no resource-management, only city management

The Total War series are turn based campaigns with real time battles. And there's a limited degree of resource management much akin to Civ. Plus there's research and building upgrade elements in the turn based system.

And I would second Rise of Nations. And now I'm wondering if there's any heavy mods with StarCraft 2.

Mig

Mig

Associate
God I miss AOE II. Probably one of the best games ever.

I would give Civilization a go if you haven't already. Also amazing. A lesser known title that I quite enjoyed and was very original was a game called Perimeter.

Associate
OP
I'll take a look into them guys, cheers...
I've just finished downloaded Anno 1404, another recommendation from this forum, and I can't wait to get stuck in.

I still have AOE3 on my PC, might give it a go see if I can handle it, wish some company somewhere would release a graphically intense historic RTS game...

I'm rather bored of the futuristic C&C3 and Starcraft II, so i'll hunt around for some screenies and videos of those suggested above.

Back
Top Bottom