Need 600MB/s+

daz

daz

Soldato
Don't use RAID5 if you want write speeds -RAID5 is better for reads.

Go for 15K SAS if you can afford it. RAID0 for your video data and then a good backup regime is what I would probably recommend.

Last edited:
Associate
I have an Intensity Shuttle, not got working yes as it needs ful 5GB/s bandwidth

This is simply not true for capturing data live, uncompressed
10 bit (4:4:4) @ 1920 x 1080 @ 60i = 237 MB per/sec
10 bit (4:4:2) @ 1920 x 1080 @ 60i = ~160MB per/sec (Like the Intensity uses)

Thats the raw data figures and you can do the math to see it can't possibly be any higher for video (audio will add a tiny bit, but not much).

If you really think it needs the full 5GB/s then what do you think is being written to the HD, cos it certainly cannot be video data.

So if once captured you're editing and have 2 or 3 streams of video in the timeline at once, doing cross fades/ transparency, PIPs etc then you have to multiply the amount of data throughput required by how many streams of video are playing concurrently.

But if you have already done the capturing, then you no longer need the speed, as your not capturing data live and won't get any dropped packets. Of course encoding could take longer, but if your using good settings, you wont be limited by the HD speed anyway.

Associate
I don't think you understand, the actual card needs a physical 5gb/s interface if it does not detect one you get "Insufficient Bandwidth Message" and the device is displayed with a flag in device manager...

So it won't even detect properly unless it is connected via USB 3.0 connection with 5gb/s bandwidth...

Most board on market well nearly all of them have crippled pci-e bandwidth, also the USB 3.0 controller is connected via southbridge which is x4 PCI-E Link"2000 MB/S" and that is shared with sata controller, PCI-E x1. Firewire, etc..

so if you have

4 hard drives, pulling 600MB/s, 250 MB/s PCI-E x1, factor in USB Ports, Firewire

The amount of bandwidth available drops significantly and so you find them nec controllers do not have enough bandwidth to function fully...

Back
Top Bottom