Ikea Markus - worth it for a student?

Associate
Not much point in expanding. I can get the chair for just under £100 as a mate has staff discount. Still that sort of money on a chair is putting me off a bit, especially with the rate of my recent bank account abuse. I have 3 hard months work ahead of me with the end of final year so expect it to pay dividends with my long hours there but after im not sure where I will end up.

*Mod edit - this is almost a six year old thread*

Soldato
get it and if you're not going to keep it stick it on ebay, there are currently none on there but I have no doubt it would sell at no great loss to yourself especially if you're getting discount initially

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I had one as a student and it's still going strong even 2 1/2 years after graduation - even took it to work and used it there, as they were being tight.

Soldato
It's cheap relative to chairs like Herman Millers e.t.c. I wanted a fancy seat but noticed so many people here and elsewhere had ones it seemed like a decent alternative given it was hundreds of pounds cheaper.

I've had mine a while now and very few complaints, which are minor and mainly noise-related. It's very comfortable, although the arch support does force you to sit properly, the headrest is a bonus when so many chairs don't offer one, it reclines easily once you've broken it in a bit and doesn't feel cramped or narrow.

daz

daz

Soldato
Make sure to try out any chairs before buying - for some reason the Markus was highly recommend on OcUK but I'm glad I tried it in Ikea because I thought it was awful. :p

Permabanned
Is it a noisy chair? The last chair in this style that I bought sounded like I was fapping furiously all the time :o :D

Soldato
The only reason it gets such good reviews, is people buying it a those types that normally spend £20 on a chair. So of course a £120 chair is going to be better, but you can get much better for that type of money.

Man of Honour
The only reason it gets such good reviews, is people buying it a those types that normally spend £20 on a chair. So of course a £120 chair is going to be better, but you can get much better for that type of money.

That's funny, because it's half the price of the chair it replaced, and better than it. But yes, daz, it feels a little odd when you first sit in it because the lumber support is more intrusive than most. But once you are used to it you will realise how good it is.

M

Soldato
Try lots of chairs, don't order one blind if at all possible. Everyones bum is different! As a student, you spend so much time sat at the desk that its a sensible investment. My decent chair got my through 3 years of undergrad, 2 years of postgrad, and now a year of postpostgrad, and still as comfy as ever :D

Soldato
That's funny, because it's half the price of the chair it replaced, and better than it. But yes, daz, it feels a little odd when you first sit in it because the lumber support is more intrusive than most. But once you are used to it you will realise how good it is.

M

Which chair did it replace?

A quality branded one or some staples etc executive chair?

Back
Top Bottom