• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ivy Bridge to offer 20% Boost over Sandy Bridge ?

Caporegime
Too early so rumours are most likely, well, rubbish. But the tick or tock is coming, drop down of new architecture to new process node, which usually comes with a speed bump, so 20% could be from 20% clock speed bump, or 3% clock speed 15% gpu, 2$% architecture, or 15% architecture and 5% clock speed.

Right now its meaningless, and clock speeds aren't too helpful(for us anyway) because if it turns out you can't go past 4.6/4.7Ghz on the next process due to voltage being too dangerous above that and killing chips, then you've essentially got an identically performing per clock chip.

WE're probably 3-4 months away from reliable rumours on Ivybridge, Cebit will likely bring some info on Sandybridge EX, the 8/6 core lga 2011 versions due end of year, Ivybridge is the 22nm quad cores due Q1 next year.

Intel try to limit architectural improvements to the tick, or the tock(can't remember which is which) so 20% increase in clock per clock performance seems unlikely, unless there is a major limitation in Sandybridge's design that fixed allows it to run so much better.

Soldato
Hmm seems like we are getting about 20% performance increase each time a new cpu/architecture is released.It is good figure but not substantial. Oh well long gone are the days of core2 series total annihilation of pentium 4.

Soldato
Hmm seems like we are getting about 20% performance increase each time a new cpu/architecture is released.

You sure about that?

Core 2 Quad QX9770
Core i7 980X

20% speed improvement?

Core i7 980X
8-12 Core Ivy Bridge CPU

20% speed improvement?

If you're talking about mainstream affordable chips then 20% might be more accurate, the problem is the top end chips are such overkill for mainstream use these days that it doesn't make sense for intel to charge 200 quid for them.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I said in another thread, I find it very hard to believe that a die shrink can produce a 20% faster speed. I imagine most of that 20% comes from a faster IGP. They'll probably overclock a bit better if they aren't temp-limited too but 20% faster clock-for-clock? No way, IMO.

Associate
this is what i hate about intel, again barely a month out and theres already news of a new socket type, possibly for this year?? aaahhh guess there wont be a hex core coming to SB mobos then.

shoot

Permabanned
Hmm seems like we are getting about 20% performance increase each time a new cpu/architecture is released.It is good figure but not substantial. Oh well long gone are the days of core2 series total annihilation of pentium 4.

Thats only because the Pentium 4 was rubbish. And AMD took their cake and ate it and thought 'haw haw, we are better than Intel now, lets market £300+ dual cores and make some mooneh yay!.

Then came Core 2 duo, and with it the end of anything from before, and anything since from AMD.

^^ nice summary :D

Associate
Thats only because the Pentium 4 was rubbish. And AMD took their cake and ate it and thought 'haw haw, we are better than Intel now, lets market £300+ dual cores and make some mooneh yay!.

Then came Core 2 duo, and with it the end of anything from before, and anything since from AMD.

^^ nice summary :D

This made me loool

Back
Top Bottom