Schizophonic is not impressed [sad face]

Soldato
Main aim was to get my HTPC stream fullHD or 720 mkv files effortlessly off my NAS drive.

Brought a new DGN2200 and enabled that with Wireless N along side my D-Link Wireless N Adapter. Confirmed my HTPC was picking up 300Mpbs off my wireless.

All good to go.

On my HTPC, navigated onto my NAS drive

NAS drive > Gigabyte Switch > DGN2200 > D-Link Wiress N Adapter

and it lagged and stuttered when playing a 1080 mkv :(

Poooo

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Wireless USB adapters will use the host CPU the majority of the time to offload tasks, this may well be causing the problem here.

What spec is the HTPC and what mediaplayer are you using? I would suggest trying to offload video decoding to the GPU if it is compatible, use Media Player Classic Home Cinema from here:

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64/ (32bit) and play the same video, it should say DXVA on the bottom left meaning decoding is done by the GPU so CPU cycles are not hogged.

Soldato
OP
Wireless USB adapters will use the host CPU the majority of the time to offload tasks, this may well be causing the problem here.

What spec is the HTPC and what mediaplayer are you using? I would suggest trying to offload video decoding to the GPU if it is compatible, use Media Player Classic Home Cinema from here:

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64/ (32bit) and play the same video, it should say DXVA on the bottom left meaning decoding is done by the GPU so CPU cycles are not hogged.

While I appreciate your response, I think I made a bit of a boopoo. I'm using a PCI Wireless N Adapter card. (D-Link RangeBooster DWA547 Wireless-N PCI Network Adapter)

Same response still?

Soldato
Have you tried doing it using an ethernet cable and if that works, try AV Homeplug? I don't know if it'll give you the bandwidth required, but it's a cheap fix if it does!

wij

wij

Associate
What is the bitrate of the content you're actually sending to the HTPC?

My MacMini will handle 1080 MKV files at about 35Mbit/sec without any issues over 11n @ 5GHz (built in wifi in the Mini and a Meraki MR14 AP).

At 2.4GHz its another story though, too much local RF pollution from my upteen neighbours to make it work well, so depending on the sort of area you live in that may be an issue to consider.

As your DGN2200 is 2.4Ghz only AFAIK you might do well to have a look at what channel it is running on, grab something like wifi stumbler for your HTPC and have a look at what channels are in use in the local area and chose from 1,6,11 one that isn't in much use.

The AP will likely be set to automatically do this but IME cheap kit sucks at any sort of automatic RF configuration and you're 9/10 times better off fixing it to something known to be free.

I'd give the powerline kit a shot, ignore the above comments regarding quoted speeds as they mean naff all in the real world, a pair of 200Mbit rated Homeplugs will likely perform better on reasonably mains wiring than any cheap consumer wifi kit I've come across especially when its operating at 2.4Ghz and in an area with a lot of other networks.

Alternatively bin the DGN and get an AP that is dual radio (DLink DIR-855 for example) and run your wifi at 5Ghz where there are less likely to be other devices cluttering up the airspace (you'd also need a 5Ghz capable card for your HTPC).

Soldato
yeah I'd agree with the above, in my area there are 20+ wifi networks in range, and wifi really struggles as a result. I'm pretty sure you'd get better results with powerline or the move to 5ghz. Even when there was only 3 or 4 wifi networks the speed dropped tremendously...

Soldato
OP
What is the bitrate of the content you're actually sending to the HTPC?

My MacMini will handle 1080 MKV files at about 35Mbit/sec without any issues over 11n @ 5GHz (built in wifi in the Mini and a Meraki MR14 AP).

At 2.4GHz its another story though, too much local RF pollution from my upteen neighbours to make it work well, so depending on the sort of area you live in that may be an issue to consider.

As your DGN2200 is 2.4Ghz only AFAIK you might do well to have a look at what channel it is running on, grab something like wifi stumbler for your HTPC and have a look at what channels are in use in the local area and chose from 1,6,11 one that isn't in much use.

The AP will likely be set to automatically do this but IME cheap kit sucks at any sort of automatic RF configuration and you're 9/10 times better off fixing it to something known to be free.

I'd give the powerline kit a shot, ignore the above comments regarding quoted speeds as they mean naff all in the real world, a pair of 200Mbit rated Homeplugs will likely perform better on reasonably mains wiring than any cheap consumer wifi kit I've come across especially when its operating at 2.4Ghz and in an area with a lot of other networks.

Alternatively bin the DGN and get an AP that is dual radio (DLink DIR-855 for example) and run your wifi at 5Ghz where there are less likely to be other devices cluttering up the airspace (you'd also need a 5Ghz capable card for your HTPC).

Will have to look tomorrw at what the bitrate it, just on my laptop in bed now. On my D-link utility, it does show the other channels in which my other local wifi is on. Switched it over to channel 2 and nothing else is using that AFAIK.

I dont want to go into those 5Ghz as the dual band routers are expensive and wanted to see if my DGN2200 would handle the HD content.

Soldato
OP
Checked with Wifi Stunble and I'm the only one with CHannel 2 in my area. There are a few 1's, a few 6 and one 11. Should I change it to a different number or should my results be the same.

Also just checked on the video.
bitratet.jpg

Soldato
WiFi is a bitch. Even on a 802.11G connection my mum only gets 26Mb/s actual throughput, which is crap.

The thing is WiFi is just way too unpredictable. There's just way too many manufacturers making crap WiFi NICs/APs.

If you want to have a guaranteed rock solid connection you need to use Ethernet. Sure it's fine for browsing, but high bandwidth sustained transfers, no.

wij

wij

Associate
Will have to look tomorrw at what the bitrate it, just on my laptop in bed now. On my D-link utility, it does show the other channels in which my other local wifi is on. Switched it over to channel 2 and nothing else is using that AFAIK.

I dont want to go into those 5Ghz as the dual band routers are expensive and wanted to see if my DGN2200 would handle the HD content.

Good kit costs money, get used to it. If you want to do this via WiFi then you really want to be looking at doing it at 5Ghz.

Checked with Wifi Stunble and I'm the only one with CHannel 2 in my area. There are a few 1's, a few 6 and one 11. Should I change it to a different number or should my results be the same.

Also just checked on the video.
bitratet.jpg

Well 1, 6 and 11 are the non-overlapping channels, so using Chan2 is a waste of time and TBH will actually just be causing issues for other people. If Chan 11 is the least utilised then I'd move to that.

Near enough 40Mbit/sec is pretty high bit-rate, I would be cautious about even recommending powerline kit for that as the pair I have here only deliver about 55-60Mbit/sec and I have a very modern house with good wiring.

WiFi is a bitch. Even on a 802.11G connection my mum only gets 26Mb/s actual throughput, which is crap.

The thing is WiFi is just way too unpredictable. There's just way too many manufacturers making crap WiFi NICs/APs.

If you want to have a guaranteed rock solid connection you need to use Ethernet. Sure it's fine for browsing, but high bandwidth sustained transfers, no.

Again, people totally misunderstand how speeds are quoted for WiFi links, they often will quote the PHY rate which you're never going to achieve. Id say for a 54Mbps link (11G) getting 26Mbit/sec throughput is pretty good and about as much as you can expect from it.

WiFi is not unpredictable if you take your time to a) do some site surveying and b) use channels / spectrum that is least congested in your area.

I get around 85-100Mbit/sec sustained throughput from my MacMini to my AP at 5Ghz dropping to almost half that at 2.4Ghz.

I do agree though, given the bitrates involved and his unwillingness to spend money on kit to move to 5Ghz the OP should probably just look at running a cable and connecting that way.

wij

wij

Associate
meraki.jpg

Only negotiating a PHY rate of 150Mbit/sec for some reason but that is the sort of performance I can easily get out of 5Ghz kit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom