• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade to 5870 XF?

Soldato
Hi all,

I am considering upgrading from my crossfire graphics of HD5870 x 2, but am unsure what is the best option currently available, or available in the very near future.

Currently, the 5870s function well, but do offer the odd element of instability in one or two games. Ideally, I am after top of the range cards with rock solid stability and driver support - does such a thing exist? :p

Soldato
OP
I am still in the market for an upgrade... when is the next revolutionary graphics card released?

I am growing a bit sick of XF/SLI as the screen tearing is annoying me no end. It saddened me to read that the 5870 is STILL ahead of the 6970 in some areas of spec, despite being over a year older.

I am ideally looking to replace my 2 x 5870s with one card with no performance loss, but only improvements, any suggestions?!

Soldato
Dont go by everyting you read on the net, i have 2 Asus 5870 still sitting on my desk as im using the 6970 now. I play the same 5 or so games every day for 2-3 hours for maybe the last 2 years....and the min fps is miles better on 6970 then 5870 xfire and also smoother so comparing to just one 5870 is not even close in REAL WORLD games. I dont sit and benchmaek all day i play games and the 6970 is better then xfire IMO however defo does not justify the cost at all.

single 5870-->6970=not worth it unless you have money to burn
xfire 5870-->6970=still not worth it unless you have money to burn

but its a better and expenisve gaming experince, My advice wait untill next gen

Associate
i think the fastest card at the moment is still the 5970 unless you've got a game which doesnt like dual gpu cards in which case the gtx 580 might pull ahead so since 2 5870s in crossfire are faster than that, you're not going to get a single card thats faster.

Soldato
I am still in the market for an upgrade... when is the next revolutionary graphics card released?

I am growing a bit sick of XF/SLI as the screen tearing is annoying me no end. It saddened me to read that the 5870 is STILL ahead of the 6970 in some areas of spec, despite being over a year older.

I am ideally looking to replace my 2 x 5870s with one card with no performance loss, but only improvements, any suggestions?!

my advice is buy a 120Hz monitor, if your main concern is screen tearing, or enable v-sync

Man of Honour
I downgraded several months ago from 5870 Xfire to a GTX480 and dispite obvious lower max fps I haven't missed the 5870's in the slightest, it's just an overall better experiance (@ 1920x1200 btw) , Now we have the GTX5xx series cards that would be even better due to power & temps, as for the ATI 69xx series I have no experiance as of yet:).

Back
Top Bottom