1 ADSL line + 2 IP addresses = 2 networks ?

Associate
Hi,

We have a single ADSL line coming into our office and our ISP has allocated 2 IP addresses to us.

What sort of router configuration do we need to set up the following:
  • A public-facing server located in our office that connects to the internet through the first IP address
  • All the workstations in the office connected to the internet using the second IP address
  • Both these networks are completely separated internally

So, what sort of ADSL modem/router can take a single incoming line and separate that line into two distinct networks?
Or, do we need to separate incoming lines?
:confused:

wij

wij

Associate
What sort of router do you have at the moment?

It's pretty simple to do what you want above using proper kit, even something like a DrayTek it would be fairly easy to achieve too.

If you're looking for a new router what sort of budget do you have in mind?

Associate
OP
What sort of router do you have at the moment?

It's pretty simple to do what you want above using proper kit, even something like a DrayTek it would be fairly easy to achieve too.

If you're looking for a new router what sort of budget do you have in mind?

At the moment we have a Netgear DG834.
Budget? Don't really want to spend more than £100.

I don't know what search terms to use. Dual WAN seems to involve two incoming lines, we only have one.

wij

wij

Associate
At the moment we have a Netgear DG834.
Budget? Don't really want to spend more than £100.

I don't know what search terms to use. Dual WAN seems to involve two incoming lines, we only have one.

Have a look at a DrayTek 2820, probably one of the better options given your budget (I think the 2820 is about £100+VAT).

Give the router the 1st IP and that will use NAT to provide access to your LAN behind it.

Then with the DrayTek I'd just fix the server to a static IP on your LAN and set a 1:1 DMZ to map the 2nd public IP to it.

Alternatively get your ISP to give you a slightly larger allocation (a /29 - 5 usable addresses) and then you'd use 1 IP for the Netgear, 1 IP for the server connected directly to the Netgar and 1 IP for another router behind the Netgear that you NAT and use for your LAN.

Back
Top Bottom