Juniper SSG 5 learning the CLI

Associate
Hi All,
I have won an SSG 5 off the bay with 256 meg of RAM. I have done a basic setup with the GUI which is pretty decent but would like to learn more about the CLI aspect of it.

I have an 877W also so was interested to compare it with the Juniper

My question is can anyone recommend a decent book that I can buy to learn the Screen OS? Or would reading guides on the Juniper site be a better way?
Or other sites that you guys know of?

Mike :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for that, I doubt I'll run the 877W alongside the SSG 5, I've got a Draytek 120 to go in front on the SSG5.

However I'll probbaly still use my Cisco 2940 switch and was thinking of buying a Cisco SG 300-10 but that's at a later date

It will either be 877W > 2940 or Draytek120 > SSG5 > 2940

When I say compare I mean I want to learn about both Cisco and Juniper. I know it's not really a direct comparison. I would like to know for example

Static Natting, Firewall setup, port trunking etc etc and be able to do it with both Juniper and Cisco kit

Last edited:

wij

wij

Associate
It will either be 877W > 2940 or Draytek120 > SSG5 > 2940

Why don't you do it properly and use the 877W as your router with minimal ACL's to protect itself and the SSG as the firewall for your LAN? :)

SSG's are great little firewalls, we still have quite a few clients with SSG20's in production at the moment though what with ScreenOS now being effectively EOL and all new boxes running JunOS we are moving people over to the newer SRX series.

The get/set syntax can take a bit of getting used to, and personally I've always preferred doing the basic setup via the CLI and then getting into the GUI to do the actual filter rules etc. Just find it a much easier way to work as you can see what is going on a bit better.

Books I have are some of the O'Reilly ones (ScreenOS / JUNOS Cookbook are really handy references) and some of Juniper's own ebooks for the newer material.

I'd recommend if you're serious about "learning Juniper" try and get yourself a little SRX120, you can pick them up online for under £300 now which is tremendous value IMO. It runs JunOS which is the same universal software across all current Juniper platforms from the little SRX up to the megabucks T-Series stuff. :)

Associate
OP
Why don't you do it properly and use the 877W as your router with minimal ACL's to protect itself and the SSG as the firewall for your LAN? :)

Could I do that as the 877W is an ADSL router? I'd have to plug the SSG5 into one of the switch ports of the 877.

wij

wij

Associate
Could I do that as the 877W is an ADSL router? I'd have to plug the SSG5 into one of the switch ports of the 877.

That's exactly how you'd do it.

Who is your ISP? Most decent providers should give you a /29 without any issues so you can route between the SSG and the Cisco.

If that is an issue then yes I'd probably look to just use the DrayTek and you can also play around with using the SSG to do PPPoE login.

You could also look at running the SSG in transparent mode between your existing network and the Cisco :)

Associate
How you getting on?

The SSG5 is a nice bit of kit, has it been delivered yet?? decent condition??

I picked up an ASA from eBay last week for a crazy price and so far pretty happy with it.

:D

Associate
OP
Got it yeah really good condition as well. To be honest the guy really undersold it, didn't put any pics just put snippets of the config and said good condition when to be honest it's better than that.......well unless it fails on me tommorrow:eek:

Now got a Draytek 120 also to go in front of it, that's smaller than I thought.

I ran the wizzard to get it up and running, GUI seems much better than the 877W to be honest. Bought a J-Care contract so will update it as soon as possible. Haven't heard back from the company I got it from yet but only bought it today.

my 877W needs extra flash memory ideally as the IOS are getting big and now my smartnet contract has run out:(

Soldato
Have a go with this, its essentially JunOS and is a good lab environment before you tackle the real deal:

http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Olive

How are you going to setup the SSG5 with your 877?

Do you mean comparing IOS with JunOS or the actual ISR? I'm not sure they are compareable, you'd be more inclined to compare an ASA to it.

While Olive is cool, it's of no use here. The SSGs are ScreenOS, not JUNOS.

I'm pretty familiar with ScreenOS myself (trying to better my JunOS skills though - have an SRX100 to play with now) so if you have any questions feel free to drop me a mail (address in trust). The concepts and examples guide which you can get from the Juniper documentation page is well worth grabbing - it's a PDF of around 40MB for the single volume document.

Last edited:
Associate
Boo for some reason I thought it was convertable to JUNOS but it seems not!

Sorry bud, still cool tool to have though for the newer OS

How much did you get the SSG for mate if I can ask?

There was a real nice SRX100H I was watching but it went for £331!

PS: Themo where did you get your 100 from? Did you buy it new?

Associate
Pretty good deal!

Did you get your J-Care sorted?

Wouldn't mind getting some Juniper kit myself to play around with, I saw an old SA 3000 for £90 the other week but just missed the end time and the guy wouldn't' answer my messages as I was after one (he had 3 all of which did not sell, old I know but for £90...).

Associate
lol some people have all the luck! do you have a serious piece of Juniper lab material to go with it? (and power bill) :D

I'd been keeping an eye out on eBay after I was recommended one in another thread (vs the ASA) but they nearly always go for >£300 :eek:

Associate
OP
Did you get your J-Care sorted?

I finally found somewhere that had one in stock. I dont think I can mention where as it's a competitior. The order is being processed so I haven't got an account yet. I think they just mail me a key or similar so I can register that on the Juniper site.

I've ordered the O'Reilly ScreenOS book to get to grips with the CLI also

Back
Top Bottom