linking 2 building using wifi & this hardware list

Associate
Hi all

i have been asked to link to building on a company ground, one is a small office with the adsl router in it.

& the other office as nothing installed yet 3 or 4 pc are being built now for this office, they would like to use Wi-Fi only due to trucks & that.

So here is the list & do i just bridge the links together ?, or what do i do ?.
do i link the AP to the netgear router using rj45 & then the ant to the ap in the main office, & then i like the ant, ap to the switch in the other office.

2 x 150Mbps Wireless N Access Point TL-WA701ND
tp link

2x TL-ANT2424B 2.4GHz 24dBi Grid Parabolic Antenna
tp link

1 x TL-SG1005D 5-port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch
tp link

The offices are only about 200foot apart, so what that list be ok to link them using Wi-Fi.
& both offices would talk to each other i.e. swap doct's, share files etc... ?.

Thanks

Associate
200 foot is actually pretty far for wi-fi to function correctly in my oppinion, isn't it easier to run a cable from 1 office to the other?

Associate
OP
it is a scrap yard so there is many lorries & cranes there, so they do not want a cable & fibre is a big no no.

its only 2 small offices maybe less then 150 foot 200 foot at most, & this hardware should do the trick nice & fine plus its cheap too.... .

i after just after someone who knows about this stuff... :)

thanks

Soldato
The equipment you have linked to will 'work'.

The Access points have a 'wireless bridge' mode, the antenna's should easily span 200ft assuming line of sight, and the Gigabit switch will be fine for connecting 3-4 PC's via standard cables..

We have a similar setup at work for one of our outbuildings, as we have plant machinery moving around and tearing up the place, the installation cost of a proper duct was £7000, which was deemed too much, but they still spent nearly £4k On kit and installation (Cisco)

However, it's a bit flaky at times, passing plant machinery and other stuff tends to knock it for 6, and we rarely get over 50mbps reliably when transferring stuff..

Last edited:
Caporegime
it is a scrap yard so there is many lorries & cranes there, so they do not want a cable & fibre is a big no no.

You do realise you lay it underground, yes?

Anything that could hit an elevated cable will also disrupt directional WiFi (and you'd need directional if you want any sort of throughput).

Cabling 200ft with under-floor ethernet wouldn't take much initial investment (and I assume the company owns the land anyway, so no disruption of public services needed to lay the cable) and would provide much better tolerance and throughput than WiFi ever could.

Associate
2xcisco aironet 1310's (if outdoor or 1250's indoor)
2xAIR-ANT2506 (or if you want slightly better gain: ANT24120)

Job's a good un so long as there is a clear line of sight from site a to site b (this includes trees and green / scrap piled up hills // grass banks etc etc etc)

;)

Associate
OP
cheers folks

the line of sight is A1 for the ANTS, as they have some 25+ foot poles what it is going to be put on.

& yes i do know that the cable will be underground, but like i said they do not want it that way ( there choice, not mine ! ).

it does not have to be 100% stable & fully working 24\7, as they know about the wi-fi signal dropping out now & then die to the cranes lorries etc... .

i have warned them, as i run my own pc support company & i know about electronics & interface.

the data is only small they need from a weigh bridge & some paper work, so there will not be any big files at all.

wij

wij

Associate
Duct and cable would be nice, but probably way OTT in cost for this application.

60M is really not very far at all, we put links in to do way further than that without any real issue.

Get direct LOS, work out the Fresnel zone, do it at 5Ghz, use better kit than you're thinking of and you'll probably be fine.

By better kit I don't necessarily mean Cisco, we've recently been trying out some cheap stuff from Ubiqiti which has been very impressive delivering a solid 80Mbps link over 1Km LOS (about £550 for a PTP 5Ghz kit).

Do it right and there is no reason it should "be a bit flaky at times" - passing plant machinery taking out the link suggests it wasn't really planned out very well...

Man of Honour
What sort of budget?

The cheapest kit I would use for a company would be Netgear Prosafe Access Points. I've used their ANT24D18 antenna before which is very good. Any decent directional antenna like that will do the job.

Zyxel are also worth looking at.

Associate
If not a large amount of data, very small, simple solution then:

sell all kit above, invest in ADSL for both sites, VPN tunnel site a to site b

sorted

Associate
Just link the switch to the WAP and that in turn to the ANTs at both sites, just make sure the antennas have a clear line of sight, you can even stick them on a window sill aimed directly at each other (depending on wether they are directional or omnidirectional)

just give it a go

Soldato
Do it right and there is no reason it should "be a bit flaky at times" - passing plant machinery taking out the link suggests it wasn't really planned out very well...

From what I saw, It seemed to be planned quite well, the issue is more the site and it's unsuitability for any LOS system, the issue was 'cost'..

The issue of interruption of signal was noted, but all quotes to give better LOS performance needed structures building, as the site is split level, or more then the cost of the groundworks for installing ducting, which had to cross a road carrying heavy plant.

Back
Top Bottom