Help 4 Heroes charity bash

Associate
I hope its OK to post this here.

Im a member of a clan called Royal Society of Bum Bandits . We are organising a charity event to raise money for Help for heroes.

We have been granted official use of all the banners and are on our way to becoming a registered fund raiser (just crossing the T's and dotting the I's). The actual ins and outs of it all all yet to be finalised even among ourselves, but we are heading towards clan support and also a pub match, winning of the pub match winning some trophies.

At this point in time Id like to see
A) what support we would have in terms of casual players
B) Whether the OcUK clan would be interested in clan wars for the event
C) Hopefully the Dons will let this ride its course here.

The game will be played on our servers playing Bad Company 2. So would their be interest in this worthy cause here?

Just thought Id add this isnt a look to get members as we have a healthy membership, and new members only get in on current member sponsorship. Its simply something to give back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sick of being bombarded with requests on Facebook enough as it is to even entertain any other form of charity outlet and the PC Gaming section is the last place I would expect to hear it.

There you go, one bad comment :p

Associate
Here is a comment, think of a proper charity that helps people that REALLY need it (try oxfam or amnesty) rather than one just covering what our government should be doing themselves.

Soldato
I almost feel like apologising for some of those comments ^ :o

Anyway, not sure how much you know of OcUK really - as far as I know there isn't a dedicated 'clan' as such of any kind, nor any sort of formal groupings for games - it just tends to be the [OcUK] tag used by forum members who don't have their own clan.

You might be advised to post a request in the official BC2 thread, inviting people along to a 'clan' match or whatever you have in mind.

'Pub match' < How would that work then? Are you thinking of a local LAN event, and if so where at? OcUK gamers are spread around the world, let alone just the UK!

Hope thats of some use to you, I'm not a BC2 player myself but you're raising money for a good cause so I can't fault it.

Associate
OP
Atleast I got some feedback. Regardless of how you feel about the ongoing war, their are young men and women their fighting and getting killed.

Regularly you read about another soldier killed on duty, but you rarely hear about the ones who got their limbs blown off, lost eyes, and bits of their faces. Those young men and women have to go onto live a life long after we clear out.

While we are playing an FPS, getting "killed" and respawning, our armed services are taking real casualties and having serious life changing events unfold daily!

That is the reason of us raising some cash for Help for heroes.

Ill be honest, I thought there was a clan buried in here somewhere, as I regularly see the tags whilst playing.

Now, we are having a meeting tonite to try finalise details. But the pub match would be entry on a donation front, with the winner of the event winning a trophy and everyone getting a warm fuzzy feeling inside having knowing they have helped out. By simply playing in the event and making a donation.

The reason I posted in the "PC gaming" section, is simply because its aimed at gamers! A group of people I honestly thought would be behind this.

Last edited:
Associate
Atleast I got some feedback. Regardless of how you feel about the ongoing war, their are young men and women their fighting and getting killed.

Regularly you read about another soldier killed on duty, but you rarely hear about the ones who got their limbs blown off, lost eyes, and bits of their faces. Those young men and women have to go onto live a life long after we clear out.

While we are playing an FPS, getting "killed" and respawning, our armed services are taking real casualties and having serious life changing events unfold daily!

That is the reason of us raising some cash for Help for heroes.

Ill be honest, I thought there was a clan buried in here somewhere, as I regularly see the tags whilst playing.

Now, we are having a meeting tonite to try finalise details. But the pub match would be entry on a donation front, with the winner of the event winning a trophy and everyone getting a warm fuzzy feeling inside having knowing they have helped out. By simply playing in the event and making a donation.

The reason I posted in the "PC gaming" section, is simply because its aimed at gamers! A group of people I honestly thought would be behind this.

Ok so give the money to a charity helping the REAL victims of these wars i.e. the ones who didn't consent to it, the people who lost limbs, eyes and worse while living on a dollar a day in a country without a stable government and good (allegedly) welfare system.

The armed services get funding from the government, if you think it isn't enough, suggest to the government that they increase that funding (maybe at the expense of something like libraries?)

But please don't tell me these people are in way any where near as deserving as many hundreds of millions of people living in poverty around the world this very minute.

Associate
Here is a comment, think of a proper charity that helps people that REALLY need it (try oxfam or amnesty) rather than one just covering what our government should be doing themselves.

A bit of an outrageous comment. The exact reason this charity is around is becuase the government don't offer enough support. Without this charity they still wouldn't, therefore I don't find your post to have any relavence.

Associate
Spot the communist/liberal *****.... On topic though, good cause mate and I hope it's a success for you guys, and more importantly, for the people you're raising the money for because they really do deserve it. Risking their lives and horrible mutilation every day to try and protect and give freedom to people who can't fight for themselves is a truly honourable cause, so ignore the simpletons that can't see it for themselves.

Associate
It's a great idea mate, my clan has run a few Charity LAN's now, ranging from H4H, Children in Need and a few local charities.

We had prizes for the raffles, and prizes for the tournaments. Most of the people there won a prize, and then auctioned it straight away, only to win in again in that auction. A lot of drink was involved, loads of games and money raised for charity. What's not to like :)

If anyone's interested, the addy is http://www.tbp-lan-events.co.uk/news.php and there's another one in April, although this one is smaller this time.

Associate
OP
Anyways, if there is any interest here. Its shaping up to be a tournmanet consisting of a £5 minimum entry fee. Winner getting a glass trophy (because of my job, I can do this for free) with their name and event on, and runner ups getting a dog tag.

Theres a lot of charities out there, mostly with worthy causes, this one happens to appeal to us at RSoBB, and I was hoping it would be something fellow gamers would be into aswell.

Associate
Spot the communist/liberal *****.... On topic though, good cause mate and I hope it's a success for you guys, and more importantly, for the people you're raising the money for because they really do deserve it. Risking their lives and horrible mutilation every day to try and protect and give freedom to people who can't fight for themselves is a truly honourable cause, so ignore the simpletons that can't see it for themselves.

Oizu, this is a real charity for real men. Unlike yourself.

Can't believe what I've just read.

lol - And there's another great reason not to support the charity :cool:

Associate
Fair enough supporting a charity you believe in but I agree with Oizu. Those soldiers are being paid to run the risk of losing their limbs or their lives. Perhaps they don't get paid enough but that's a different story. Soldiers deaths are reported in the news because the deaths are widespread enough that they don't become a statistic unlike the innocent casualties of war. I respect the soldiers of the British Army but I do not think they are heroes for us but perhaps only for their comrades.

Associate
OP
I can see why youd say that. a lot of the kids sign upto the army for lots of reasons. None of them include being blown to bits. Be it respect from the parents/friends. Looking to do something of absolute honour for their country. Some 'cos they feel they have no hope anywhere else. The semantics could go on and on.

This charity is all about the wounded. Forget the reasons they are their, fact is the poor buggers are maimed for life in terrible ways with mental scarring too. They get turfed out with minimal cash and expected to get on with their lives. They signed up expecting to protect their country, not for the politics.

Anyways, I think we can see how this is headed by now. So I guess Ill leave by saying we will organise it, and unfortunately it might just be an in house thing, rather than a "gamers unite" event I hoped it would be.

Soldato
May get myself Bad Company 2 for this reason. I like to support charities that help our Armed Forces, and I like FPS games, so would be good to combine the two :).

Also gives me some time training prior to going to Afghan lol :D.

Back
Top Bottom