BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Look at changing to BT infinity. What is everyone's experiences of BT infinity though? Quite interested about evenings having experienced BT ADSL Max broadband going down the pan in the evenings many a time too as well as barely syncing at 2/3Mbit and dropping regularly (whole area problem...).

Cheers :)
Michelle

Associate
No problems here

1148665933.png

Soldato
I know they shape P2P but how is it for gaming? Xbox, PS3 or PC.

How about download speeds or torrrents? be that MMO clients or other stuff.
What about Usenet?

Does the Homehub work ok? does it handle multiple users well or are games going to be killed by somone downloading a torrent or using skyplayer?

And are they going to change the date for my area again? it was 31dec2010 now its end of march 2011

Associate
These are just my experiences but here goes.

I know they shape P2P but how is it for gaming? Xbox, PS3 or PC.
-Gaming on PC works well for me, I've not had problems with infinity creating lag, don't have a Xbox or ps3.

How about download speeds or torrrents? be that MMO clients or other stuff.
What about Usenet?
-You'll be shaped as you said during peak times, which in my experience can get as low as 30KB/s but rarely for me, all depends on the real time congestion as it changes. Out of peak times you should be able to max you line providing there are enough seeds. Also uploads via torrents are permanently shaped to 1Mbps. Can't comment on usenet as I dont use it.

Does the Homehub work ok? does it handle multiple users well or are games going to be killed by somone downloading a torrent or using skyplayer?
-Never had any problems with the infinity homehub although i read that some people have wireless problems but i suspect that its more to do with those few in very RF polluted areas. Can't speak for homehub 3.0 as i've not got one. Handles multiple user fine, i dont notice anything due to other users (There are 3 other users besides myself) and have myself not noticed any difference when gaming and running torrenting at the same time at 20Mbps +

And are they going to change the date for my area again? it was 31dec2010 now its end of march 2011
-No idea :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently Jakarta Indonesia :) but home is in Milton Keynes.
After living in Seoul Korea for a year coming home to 2meg internet from 100meg in ever appartment in the block is abit of a kick in the teeth but i was going to upgrade as soon as I could.
I'll admit that in Korea I started downloading some TV for english programs and it was so quick that 90% of the time i swear i was limited by the hard drive speed to save it to disk.

That said im on a wireless dongle in Indonesia that runs at dial up speeds. now that is painful

Last edited:
Soldato
Thxs Gamma, good to know. The torrents thing isnt a killer for me, I dont play WOW anymore (havent for years) and any other client upgrades arent really time critical for me as im not a heavy MMO'r anymore, and the only one that really appeals to me now is Planetside 2 and Sony dont use torrents.

Soldato
How does Usenet perform?

I thought BT Infinity offered packages with zero traffic shaping?

Also, the connection might be great now but will they head the same way as Virgin and oversubscribed causing unusable connections at some point

Soldato
If it matters, there are quite a few ISPs reselling BT Infinity now if you want the speeds without the stealth-limitations. They do tend to be more expensive though, and you'll still have caps on total peak time usage per month.

There is also the question of performance as take up increases, apparently your sync speed will drop as more people are connected to your local green box. Still, even with high take up it'll be around 20Mb and much better than 2Mb.

Last edited:
Soldato
None of the big LLU guys have signed up to FTTC yet, if sky havent sortted something out by the time my box is done I will be leaving them no matter how cheap they are

Back
Top Bottom