My First Android. choice of two

Associate
Hi peeps, a simple quick question. Just about to order my first android mobile and i have a choice on my contract of the htc desire or the sonny ericcson experia X10.

So which one is the better all round phone? The camera isnt all that important. I will be using the internet on it a fair bit and i txt a lot.

You may not be able to help me on this one but im in engineering and eventually tiny tiny fragments of metal do find their way to the speaker. So a good sealing case is needed i guess so any ideas. Also if i have to repair it in say 12 months time can i get spare parts easily to repair either myself?

I dont want to confuse my original question too much though so any thoughts on either phone would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Out of those 2 I'd go Desire.

I'[ve also had a play with a motorola Defy which is quite nice and rugged to boot.
Apparantly removing all the motorola bumpf and installing a standard Droid rom makes the phone even better

Soldato
Id deffo go with the Desire, however i would be expecting a cheap tarrif , considering the Desire is quite old, in smart phone terms. Beware with some Android phones, the internal space for apps, if you know no better, read up.

Soldato
The X10 is a massive no personally. Not even in the same league (older touch panel, UI in my opinion sucks)

Of the desire vs Galaxy S...
Galaxy has a better screen, is bigger, about the same speed when running 2.2 but much better at 3d games, has more onboard storage
Desire has the better support (from HTC) is built a little better with nicer to the touch materials, is a bit smaller (3.7" screen vs 4") which may be preferable. There are more little bits to it than just this (like AMOLED screens vs TFT) but those are the headlines to me.

I have both if you have any questions.

Associate
Galaxy S, I know personally has a right bugger of a GPS problem. the GFs Gal S, takes a lot longer to lock on, then my Nexus One does..

but.. other then that, the phone is very nice..

Soldato
Although "relatively old" there isn't that much out there on the market at the moment that is significantly "better" than it.
Sure there are better models - but mainly small screen upgrades, maybe a little more storage.
Everything is still based on the same CPU.

Now if you're comparing it to the new phones just around the corner, the dual-core ones then yes, it will show it's age.
But against anything else out there currently, it's not a "generation" older.

Caporegime
Although "relatively old" there isn't that much out there on the market at the moment that is significantly "better" than it.
Sure there are better models - but mainly small screen upgrades, maybe a little more storage.
Everything is still based on the same CPU.

The 800mhz cpu in the Desire Z is on par with the 1Ghz cpu in the Desire, and the Desire HD's 1Ghz cpu and additional RAM is quite a bit more powerful than the original Desire.

I just can't wait for the HTC dual-core phones, hope they blow the Atrix out of the water :D

Soldato
Go with the Desire, if the X10's update system is anything like as rubbish as it is for the X10 mini pro, then I'd steer well clear.
I updated my gf's to 2.1 a few weeks back and despite using SE's backup system she lost all her contacts, all her settings and all her photos, the only thing that was fine was her texts.
OTA updates > SE Updates

Associate
OP
Thanks a bunch for all these replies. Perhaps i should point out that im easily pleased i guess with mobile phones. I have only ever had candy bar type so far so either of these is a step in the right direction i suppose. Strangly enough the desire is cheaper than the x10 on my contract. I can have the desire for £20 with Orange and get 200 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet use which seems ok to me! The x10 was £23 for the same package. And its 18 month contract.

I know naff all about android phones and their operating systems or even what they are capable of so im going to be guided by you nice people and so far im swayed towards the desire.

Soldato
At those prices take the desire. Still a good bit of kit and well supported by developers. Thing is for normal smart phone use the desire is as good as you need.

Associate
You won't be disappointed with the Desire. It should be available pretty cheaply on some of the cashback deals these days - worth a quick search to see if you can better your tariff.

Associate
Get the Desire HD, its truly a nice bit of kit its their flagship model and you can get it free for 20 quid plus a month.

My only.gripe with the phone is battery but its powering a lot, easily solved by a cheap car charger or travel charger.

Desire HD! If you want the latest kit.

Associate
OP
Sorry I dont. It was thrashed out over the phone with orange. We have 5 phone contracts with them in a group family plan thingy so I guess that helped get a decent deal.

Associate
OP
Firstly i just want to say thanks to all the people who went to the trouble of replying to my post. I have ordered the desire which should arrive on Tuesday. Like i say, ive never had a smart phone so im quite looking forward to getting it. Not got a clue what they are capable of so i need to look into what apps etc i want.

If any one one has any further advice for me on the desire please let me know.

Ta Rob

Back
Top Bottom